Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff and Annie found the buck in my avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Jcav View Post
      Jeff and Annie found the buck in my avatar
      Very nice muley!

Comment

Well didn't get a chance to hunt this weekend but got to pull cards. Mature bucks aren't touching the corn right now but all the other deer are. We counted are bucks that were on camera and made sure not to double up. With 5 feeders and 6 cameras running over two sections we counted 53 bucks give or take 5. Nothing to impressive and only two mature ones showed up on camera the last two weeks. Not worried they always start showing up in November. Just hoping some of these young ones will hang out for a couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We finally got the rest of our fall plot in last night with rain in the forecast. The radishes we planted a couple of months ago are over a foot tall now and we planted more last night along with turnips, canola, and triticale. Our first camera wasn't working so we do not have pictures yet, but there are some huge tracks in the milo. I'd like to see if the size of the deer match the horns. We also found some nice sheds with a tractor tire a few weeks ago.
          Hoping to get in the field this weekend to try and kill something!!!!!

Comment

Well, nothing super fancy but I am proud of my son.

After my father passed away 4 years ago my oldest son decided he was going to learn to shoot his grandfathers bow, with the ulitmate goal of shooting a deer with it. It has been kind of a long off and on process since he doesn't have a good place to shoot where he lives. Last year he put an arrow in a really nice buck but we lost it after a long tracking job.

That made my son more determined than ever.

His first hunt of this year (Monday) he wanted to get some meat in the freezer early. This big doe came in and gave him the opportunity. After last years debacle he did not want a repeat. He drew and let down on her 3 times before he shot her. I would say the shot placement worked out all right this time though.

Now he is ready to start seriously hunting a buck we have on camera.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

IMG_3444 by , on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Well, nothing super fancy but I am proud of my son.

Now he is ready to start seriously hunting a buck we have on camera.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

IMG_3444 by , on Flickr
              You and your family are on fire.
              Giant hogs, a truckload of coyotes and now filling the freezer.
              A good season for y'all already.
              Congrats Jeff.

Comment

The last 2 weeks have been good to us for sure Clark.

Of course, you didn't do too shabby yourself.

To top it off, when we went out to work to field dress my sons doe, there was a beautiful bobcat sitting right in the middle of my 200 yard rifle range. I gave her a ride in the truck as well.

IMG_3443 by , on Flickr

I guess I better throw that pic of my daughter and first coyote up as well since I am braggin' on my family. We tripled that stand, she got one, I got two.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

Comment

Dang! A triple, well done. That's rare.

Comment

It's been a good year for sure. That is my second triple this year. The one earlier this spring was a solo triple, and those are really rare for me. On that stand I called a pair and killed both, then 5 minutes later a second pair rolled in and I got one of them. I nearly, nearly got a solo quad on that stand. But nearly doesn't count.

Saturday we actually killed 4 on 3 stands. Single on the first stand, triple on the second, blank on the third.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr
                    Last edited by Jethro; 10-04-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Dang, Jethro! Congrats to your family!

Comment

Lots of rain and flooding in Childress and Hall counties and all in this region of the Panhandle. 5' to 7" or rain reported in the news this morning. Road closures possible.

Comment

Anyone hunting this weekend? Haven't heard any reports

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Clover, Brassica & Oats growing pretty good after the recent rainfall.
                            Attached Files

Comment

7 bucks at the feeder yesterday morning with a tall 9 with a 3" kicker off his left G2, a young 10 and on old 11 point. Nothing last night and 8 bucks this morning with several new 8 points, the 10 and the 11, but not the 9. The 11 is very tempting as he has a sticker point off his left horn base that goes straight back about 1 1/2" maybe 2". He definitely rules the roost at this feeder over those other bucks. Got to study his pics again.

Comment

Went Saturday morning had a shooter right before daylight then had 14 deer filter through as morning wore on, wish I could be there in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X