X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s my gear list.
    Tent: Eureka 1 man
    Sleeping pad: Klymit 1 1/2” inflatable
    Bag: I usually don’t bring a sleeping bag for early season hunts. Looking to purchase a good packable bag for later hunts.
    Pack: Horn hunter mainbeam (junk) looking to upgrade to an exo or kifaru
    Stove: Jet boil
    Water: Platypus 3 liter bag paired with a sawyer filtration setup.
    Food: Mountain house for evening meals and pre packed bags for daytime snacking (almonds, Fritos, peanut butter, clif bar, Vienna sausage, etc.)
    Camo: Kuiu vias.
    Socks: Smartwool
    Boots: Solomon authentic gtx. Getting away from “hunting” boots and wearing a hiking boot has helped my feet considerably.
    GPS: On X maps downloaded on my phone to use offline.
    Communication: Delorme Inreach. I have this unit paired with my phone via Bluetooth. Pairing makes typing and reading messages a breeze. I also carry an external battery for charging phone and inreach. I need to get a solar charger for pack in hunts.
    Optics: Vortex viper 10x42 binos and vortex viper spotting scope. Running a kuiu bino harness now but will probably switch to a fhf or marsupial. I love my kuiu clothes but the bino harness can be frustrating. Nikon arrow id rangefinder.
    Kill Kit: Outdoor edge edc, spare blades, paracord, pen, electricians tape, cheap aa led flashlight, nitrile gloves, spare batteries
    Lighting: Cheap bushnell headlamp from Walmart. Super bright and long battery life.
    I also usually have a small multi tool and if it’s an archery hunt I’ll bring Allen wrenches that fit anything on my bow.

Comment

Heading to South Dakota in September. Seems like the more gear I buy, the more I figure out I need.

Comment

Pack: Stone Glacier sky 5900
        Boots: La Sportiva Trango Cube
        Bag: North Face Hyper Kazoo 15 degree
        Pad: Thermorest z-lite
        Poles: Leki
        Headlamp: Black Diamond Storm
        Dry Bags: Sea to Summit event compression bags
        Foot Care: moleskin and glacier gel (little duct tape as well)
        Bino Harness: Outdoor Vision
        Knife: Outdoor Edge razor lite
        Binos: Swarovski 10x42 EL
        Rifle: WTO built 6.5saum w/Titanium action

Clothing is a mix and match group

Rain Gear: Sitka Stormfront
        Jacket: Sitka 90% and Sitka Kelvin down
        Tops: Sitka core hvy wt hoody
        Pants: Marmot Scree or Sitka ascent
        Socks: Darn Tough hiker full cushion
        Underwear: Smartwool merino 150 boxer briefs
        Baselayers: Kuiu Merino 145 long sleeve and 145 zip off pants.
        Gloves: Mechanix fast fit and Sitka Stormfront
        Camp Shoes: Crocs
        Last edited by bphillips; 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
          If I remember right it weighed 123. We packed out 4 mature over 350” bulls that week alone with no problems. Maybe we all got lucky with ours? Mine is probably ten years old and has packed out dozens of animals. The buddy I hunt with up there packs out dozens a year and his is at least 4-5 years old. I haven’t tried another pack since I bought mine and I’m sure there are some better options out there now. Also we hunt a little different up there with a lot of miles so honestly comfort is number one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are luckier then me. I use to get them at wholesale cost and won’t use them to pack out with anymore. Barrel way to bad with weight. When I lived in CO I ran just about everything, all I did was hike, climb and hunt. Mountain hard ware came out with a decent frame this year but for cost might as well go SG.

Today there are no weight penalty’s with all the sub 5lb SG, EXO and kifaru frame bag combos which are designed to carry and distribute weight.

If I wanted a sub 4lb option I’d go SG or Exo frame with a dry bag.

Everyone rolls differently

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Haha, I was looking at the exact same two packs.

I love the pack and the x-frame, it's incredible how well it held 50 lbs square on my back. Once I had camp set up and everything out of the pack, it collapsed down to almost nothing, to the point I could move quick going down the trail without knowing it was there. Now I just need to get an elk so I can test out the load shelf.

SG came out with a new, lighter frame this year too, kind of wish I would have waited a couple months.

You like the Kifaru?
            Good to hear! I've heard nothing but good things about the Sky series and the x-curve frames (if you have a curved back of course)!

I really like my Reckoning as well. The full center zip access is great, and I like the open side pockets. Some people don't like those, but they suit my needs for what I use them for. I took it on my scouting trip a few weeks ago, and that was my first real test for it outside of putting weight in it to train. I love the way it carried and I love the way those frames can move a lot of the weight to your hips. It sure does save your shoulders!

Like your Sky, the Reckoning does a good job sucked down into a smaller day mode. I like the pals webbing across the belt. I have a holster on the right side and a water bottle pocket on the left. Really convenient!

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

These won’t work if you have wide feet but I can’t recommend enough if they’ll fit you and you will be needing a mountaineering level boot. This was around 9000’ with around 15 miles on them. Still look just as good close to 40miles. Plenty stiff for a heavy pack and not near as heavy as the clunky leather boots

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                These won’t work if you have wide feet but I can’t recommend enough if they’ll fit you and you will be needing a mountaineering level boot. This was around 9000’ with around 15 miles on them. Still look just as good close to 40miles. Plenty stiff for a heavy pack and not near as heavy as the clunky leather boots

What boot?

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  What boot?

La Sportiva Trango Cube

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    La Sportiva Trango Cube

I have a pair of lowa Tibet’s and I just got to thinking I wonder if they are stiff enough for New Zealand in May? I may need crampons so I need to see if that boot will work.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post

I'm down to just selecting food at this point. Probably $800 in to gear so far but this is my first backcountry trip.
                      It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I'm dehydrating some meals now for my trip. I'm making enough to test several different meals before I leave. I may end up back at Mountain House!

The Exo guys ((huntbackcountry) have a pretty good podcast regarding backcountry nutrition, if you're into podcasts. Episode 124 - Food to Fuel Backcountry Performance.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                        Usually go to Colorado but gonna give Idaho a shot this year. Msr Twin Brothers with homemade tent stove. Sawyer water filter gravity system. Will probably upgrade to Exo pack pretty quick

What are the demensions of your stove and where did you get the materials for it?

My dad has been wanting to make a cylinder stove for his sawtooth instead of buying one

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          What are the demensions of your stove and where did you get the materials for it?

My dad has been wanting to make a cylinder stove for his sawtooth instead of buying one

McMaster Carr. As you can see 25" would be max length. I had a smaller one but the new one I built I kept at 25". Sure was nice to put bigger wood in there. Sure helped with burn time. End plates were from Dollar Tree . Got about $140 in it. Weight is about same as other backpacking stoves. Packs down small.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

I don’t have any experience with these stoves but I have seen a few cool builds in the DIY section on Rokslide.

-------------------------------
                            Violence never settles anything
                            -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Putting stuff together for this year and many more years to come. So far I have the following:

Pack- Kifaru frame and fulcrum bag with guide lid.
                              Tent- big Agnes fly creek ul2
                              Pad- Neo air xlite
                              Bag- Kifaru slick 20 degree
                              Stove- msr pocket rocket
                              Pot- Gsi outdoors and ultra lite spork
                              Bino- Zeiss 10x42
                              Bino harness - AGC hybrid max

Clothing- (still ironing this out)
                              Boots - Asolo
                              Base- FL llano and Allegheny
                              (Trying to fill in the following)
                              Pants - Sitka mountain or ascent ??
                              Top- traverse t ??
                              Vest - kelvin or kelvin lite?
                              Jacket - Jetstream ?
                              Rain gear - cloudburst?
                              Socks - no clue...??
                              Underwear- no clue...??

Bow- Mathews halon 32 5”
                              Sight- spott Hogg Fast Eddie xl double pin
                              Quiver - tight spot
                              Stab- Mathews flatline 8”
                              Arrows- still tinkering

I know there are more items I need to add. But here’s the basics and I need to get a move on. I’m running out of time....

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                                I don’t have any experience with these stoves but I have seen a few cool builds in the DIY section on Rokslide.

-------------------------------
                                Violence never settles anything
                                -Genghis Kahn

They are really nice. I don't take it on some shorter trips. But sometimes we are back in 10-12 days

Comment

Working...
                                X