1,000 People per DAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1,000 People per DAY

So, according to our governor, One Thousand people move to Texas per day.
    I don't doubt this at all.
    What do you all think this has to do with the shortage of hunting leases and the skyrocketing prices of leases.
    I always hear that we are loosing hunter numbers and the sport is in decline.
    I just don't see it!!!
    30 yrs ago hunting leases were a dime a dozen, now you can't find one.
    School me.

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
    So, according to our governor, One Thousand people move to Texas per day.
    I don't doubt this at all.
    What do you all think this has to do with the shortage of hunting leases and the skyrocketing prices of leases.
    I always hear that we are loosing hunter numbers and the sport is in decline.
    I just don't see it!!!
    30 yrs ago hunting leases were a dime a dozen, now you can't find one.
    School me.
    The people moving here are illegal or no interest in hunting... lease prices skyrocketed because oil money

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      The people moving here are illegal or no interest in hunting... lease prices skyrocketed because oil money
      So, the oilfield leased everything up? Seems it took a hit a couple years back but still no leases available.
      Are all these oilfield workers native Texans or just come in to work?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

To get good hunting land around Baton Rouge you are going to pay $40 an acre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some oil derived. I think its mostly due to continuing population expansion and continuing urbaninzation of rural areas. Projection of population expansion says it wont stop. Not until quantitative easing finishes...or a perfect storm and the real bust hits. Sometime when the next Dem takes POTUS...me thinks.

Comment

I have hunted South Texas all my life. Its always been at least 10 to 20 dollars more an acre compared to the rest of the state, so I guess we dont see it like other folks do. But I agree with you. Definitely do not see a shortage of hunters. But if prices keep climbing like they are it will surely happen. Saw a place on lease hunter in Jim Hogg county going for almost 90.00 bucks and acre. It was only 80 acres.

Comment

I personally don't think the lease prices have anything to do with hunter numbers or the new people moving into Texas.
              It has to do with people willing to pay the higher prices for hunting rights. I'm on a lease in South Texas and pay more than I ever dreamed I would pay to hunt somewhere. I only pay the price because I've decided that hunting this place is worth the price the land owner is charging.

I can guarantee you that, if I decided to get off this place today, they would probably have my spot filled by the end of the weekend.

I also believe that all the hunting shows with big bucks and the celebrity status of the people on these shows has helped drive the cost up some too!

Comment

1,000 People per DAY

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                So, the oilfield leased everything up? Seems it took a hit a couple years back but still no leases available.
                Are all these oilfield workers native Texans or just come in to work?

No, the guys making the big bucks pay up to get on a place. Not to mention the corporate leases their bosses get and pay big bucks for.

But all that noted, that doesnt affect every region (mainly south texas), and prices are still sky high everywhere. It almost gets to the point of questioning whether its worth it or save your coin and spend it all on 1 week a year in the mountains chasing something cool that isnt native to Texas. If I still had to lease I believe thats what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a lot has to do with land being developed and less huntable land. I don’t think many people from the west and north are moving here to hunt. Some of the owners I work with, don’t want to mess with it. Another thing, the breaking up of land into smaller tracts that once were hunted by a group are now only hunted by a family member or not at all. A lot of small game ranches are popping up that were once leased. I see this in the hill country.

Comment

Was just visiting a wildlife ranch that is under new ownership. The cost of owning and running a large ranch like that is staggering. They are selling off ownership shares. More than twenty have been sold. I think that may explain why the guys leasing a portion of it left. The lease costs are likely being increased with all these shares being sold. It seems these ownership shares have become more common on these type properties. Kind of frightening seeing things continue this way.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with farming economic more than oil. The land farmers and ranchers used to use for making a living through sheep, goats, and cattle is now able to make them a much more sizable income, plus they don't have to do anything. It's a no brainer. It is not maybe this can pay the taxes any more, it is this is a huge supplement to my yearly income and people are willing to pay it. I don't blame them, it's not personal it's economics. If your selling something that 100 people would buy for 20 bucks, why would you sell it to someone for 2 bucks? It isn't good business. Most understand this, but often people are upset about lease prices and expect lease owners to not follow that logic. The icable tv, the internet, Facebook, websites like this one do nothing but drive up cost. Better management has seen more big deer taken and big deer equals more money. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Fling em View Post
                        I personally don't think the lease prices have anything to do with hunter numbers or the new people moving into Texas.
                        It has to do with people willing to pay the higher prices for hunting rights. I'm on a lease in South Texas and pay more than I ever dreamed I would pay to hunt somewhere. I only pay the price because I've decided that hunting this place is worth the price the land owner is charging.

I can guarantee you that, if I decided to get off this place today, they would probably have my spot filled by the end of the weekend.

I also believe that all the hunting shows with big bucks and the celebrity status of the people on these shows has helped drive the cost up some too!
                        It would be filled by the end of the day. It’s going to be a good year for big bucks. Everything I’ve seen so far looks promising.

Comment

What is typically included in a $40+/ acre year round lease? Not what can be killed, but is it usually only the land and cabin/house?How often are feeders, feed, blinds etc included?

I just audited my ranch expenses before taxes and it’s quite expensive. Depending on what was included in the lease it wouldn’t be cheap as a hunter and that’s only to break even. Everything that goes into a well managed piece of land year round is very resource intensive. Hunters would be supplementing my expenses, not my income.

For the higher end lease fees how much are you spending on top of the cover charge and what are you spending it on?

I have a smaller place in D’hanis that I was considering leasing out for one or two guns. 100 acres on the seco, 75 acres are planted, oats, wheat etc. rain dependent. There is a remodeled country house under 300 yr old oaks, but for now that is not included. What would be a fair price per gun? No blinds, feeders or feed included...it’s BYOB 100%.

If the house was included what would it be? It would be perfect for a hunting family if Mom doesn’t like it too rough. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

^^ I agree there are many causes. It is just staggering to me that in 4 yrs time there will be another City of San Antonio worth of people (1.49 million) living in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                              I think a lot has to do with land being developed and less huntable land. I don’t think many people from the west and north are moving here to hunt. Some of the owners I work with, don’t want to mess with it. Another thing, the breaking up of land into smaller tracts that once were hunted by a group are now only hunted by a family member or not at all. A lot of small game ranches are popping up that were once leased. I see this in the hill country.
                              This. I have been hunting leases for 50+ years and the original prices were so low it’s funny now.
                              I have actually seen some of those leases that were once in the country are now cut up and sub-divided.
                              Also “city” people moving to the country buy land and don’t lease it. I did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X