Robert E. Lee High School offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
    Of course it matters. Once we start giving in to these bull hockey demands then we are really done for.
    We, the people, started "giving in" some time ago... We are on a down hill slide now... It will take action that obviously we(The People)aren't willing to do to stop this ridiculous nonsense.. They are playing the game and winning while we are setting on the side lines watching..

That's just the truth..

Comment

Originally posted by Coup de Grace View Post
      Your so funny, I bet they could change names to Martin Luther King and you would be happy, I see what you always do, double tongue.
      Huh, u sure you read my benign statement? Funny?
      Hum, guess that 8th grade reading comprehension was taken out of schools also!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        What they teach is no longer accurate and the removal of historical names and symbols reflects that.
        What they taught has never been accurate : See Christopher Columbus

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
          Sure they are but they haven't faced any atrocities that their ancestors faced. That's like saying well I'm Irish so everyone that treated me like #*~> in the late 19th century owes me so let's go out there erase history! People are too sensitive to these things that never directly effected them. Oh and btw, there was plenty of racism in the north and in the union ranks!
          So why do they propose tax breaks for rich people? I believe they call it trickle down economics?

It's a two edged sword. People are too sensitive and want to take it down.

People are too sensitive and throw temper tantrums when they are taken down.

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
            Less than 1% of confederates owned slaves. Why do you associate confederacy with slavery. They were not a representation of the entire group of Confederate forces.
            In the official declaration of the causes of their secession in December 1860, South Carolina’s delegates cited “an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery.” According to them, the Northern interference with the return of fugitive slaves was violating their constitutional obligations; they also complained that some states in New England tolerated abolitionist societies and allowed black men to vote.

This could be wrong ... And maybe less than 1% of the Army itself owned slaves, but that's not representation of the entire population of the South.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
              So why do they propose tax breaks for rich people? I believe they call it trickle down economics?

It's a two edged sword. People are too sensitive and want to take it down.

People are too sensitive and throw temper tantrums when they are taken down.
              I can guarantee you, with almost 100% certainty, that if the people who are demanding the statues be taken down or the names to be changed, were told they had to pay for them to be removed/changed, this would not be an issue at all because it would go away quickly.
              This is supposed to be a majority rules society - when the squeaky minority gets their way because its no longer PC to tell them to shut up or put it to a vote with the fear of one of them yelling the R word...thats when this society ceases to function efficiently, and little things like education, history, and progress get hindered.
              Has nothing to do with sensitivity and everything to do with who can scream the loudest.

Comment

I can guarantee you, with almost 100% certainty, that if the people who are demanding the statues be taken down or the names to be changed, were told they had to pay for them to be removed/changed, this would not be an issue at all because it would go away quickly.
                This is supposed to be a majority rules society - when the squeaky minority gets their way because its no longer PC to tell them to shut up or put it to a vote with the fear of one of them yelling the R word...thats when this society ceases to function efficiently, and little things like education, history, and progress get hindered.
                Has nothing to do with sensitivity and everything to do with who can scream the loudest.
                When the Man whom the statue depicts says there shouldn't be statues, then I tend to lean in the direction.

You can call it PC or whatever you want to, but if you want to honor the Man, maybe you should listen to his wishes on the subject.

Comment

When the Man whom the statue depicts says there shouldn't be statues, then I tend to lean in the direction.

You can call it PC or whatever you want to, but if you want to honor the Man, maybe you should listen to his wishes on the subject.
                  you take one quote - possibly out of context- from one man and try to apply it to a whole issue concerning a great number of men/statues/plaques/monuments ?
                  thats being a bit obtuse on the subject even for the sake of playing devils advocate

Comment

In order to be offended by a historical statue, or the name of a school, requires that you be so unbelievably stupid that you should be culled from this planet immediately…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is too bad to hear. I also graduated from REL highschool and was wondering when this discussion was going to come up.

Comment

This is the dumbest stuff ever. People need to cut the sensitive BS in this country. I hate that even if 99% of people are fine with something, they'll still make changes bc of that 1% that has an issue. The majority should not have to be effected bc a tiny percentage has an issue with something. This is called causing issues where no issues are present.

Comment

In the official declaration of the causes of their secession in December 1860, South Carolina’s delegates cited “an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery.” According to them, the Northern interference with the return of fugitive slaves was violating their constitutional obligations; they also complained that some states in New England tolerated abolitionist societies and allowed black men to vote.

This could be wrong ... And maybe less than 1% of the Army itself owned slaves, but that's not representation of the entire population of the South.
                          So your answer to the question on post #46 is, yes, the Democratic Party should be abolished?

Comment

I’m offended that some of you guys shoot a bow brand that’s not the same as I shoot
                            We live in a society today where anything goes and just about anything can offend someone but one individual can be offended and we have to change something. I agree where does it stop. We have people of certain culture that live in America that will not eat pork. They could stand up for their belief and try and stop any & all grocery stores & restraunts from selling it because it’s offensive to them..right?
                            To the OP...I live just outside of Tyler by the way so we are hearing all about this

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                              This is not about high school memories or your favorite pot smoking movie. It is about erasing history. Get your head out of the sand.
                              Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              For the record... I read his entire post and specifically answered the question he asked... go back and actually read the question.

And if you read my full response... I addressed the overreaching question as well.

So... lighten up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                              And for the record, the question that was asked was the following:

Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?

They could go back and rename C.E. Ellison High School to Kayne West High School and I could literally care less. I know what school I went to and whatever they want to call it now means absolutely nothing to me. It wouldn't take any history away from me at all.

Comment

you take one quote - possibly out of context- from one man and try to apply it to a whole issue concerning a great number of men/statues/plaques/monuments ?
                                thats being a bit obtuse on the subject even for the sake of playing devils advocate
                                I only took one quote to post - there are more.

Telling people not to be offended, while getting offended at the same time when the discussion comes to making a change seems a little hypocritical.

Comment

Working...
                                X