No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great thread, I got drawn for the December 14-17 hunt for this year and have been looking for info just like this. Thank y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
      We will be there for the first hunt in Dec. We got drawn for 2 hunts last year there. When I have a little more time I'll sit down and give more info. Here is my buddy and the Nilgai he took.
      Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      Was this on the teniente track or east lake?

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
        Was this on the teniente track or east lake?
        Teniente

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

East Lake

What did you draw this year? Have you hunted East Lake LRGV NWR? Hobratsch

Comment

NWR Laguna

From Laguna Atascosa NWR
            Attached Files

Comment

Blazed Orange NWR 2014

Must have Orange
              Attached Files

Comment

me and a buddy got drawn for 1/11-14

Comment

Hello Everyone! I'm a brand new member to the forum. I was looking around on the web for info on the Teniente and came across this thread. I was drawn for the archery hunt Jan 11th -14th. I got home from work the night of Sept 1st around 11pm and saw an email from tpwd that it was the deadline to apply. I got my application put in just before midnight and received an email the next day that I was drawn! That is never the way my luck normally goes, LOL. Anyways, I'm very excited about the hunt and wanted to say thank you to all the folks that shared their information about it. I saw some questions here about whether to use a tri-pod or not from ppl that may not know the area. If I may, I would strongly suggest you try to get one. I say this because I hunted the Chapparal last year and sorely regretted not bringing mine. I hunted with a blind and couldn't see very far around me. With the dense brush down here, it really helps you to be able to see what otherwise would be totally obscured. I found a nice (pretty) light weight Game Winner tri-pod at Academy for just over $100 a couple of years ago and it is great. That's coming from someone who's 6'5 265#s, lol. Hopefully this helps someone as much as all of you have helped me already.

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
                    [ATTACH]871160[/ATTACH]

I got this map emailed to me after buying the permit and as y'all can see, the boundaries on the right side extend past what they sent. Does anyone have a full map with the boarders clearly defined?
                    For those of you getting this map. The boundary is not correct. I called the fish and game officer working this area and he says to not hunt on the other side of the boundary or your permit will be revolked. Do not hunt in the area I have marked in red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
                      I've noticed in the past that Nilgai tend to hang around open plains. I saw on google earth that farm fields surround the area. Is it better to hunt along the edges of the property that are closest to the fields or would I have better luck hunting the tall grassy areas that they bed in?
                      Sorry for the delay. To answer your question, both, I've seen them in the think nasty stuff where you only see the top portion of the neck & head. I've seen them walking just off the road. Look for heavily used trails and dung piles, they crap in the same pile repeatedly.

Y'all listen to RGV, he's correct about the map, that's off limits. Don't cross the fence, even the downed portion. The game wardens, both state and federal, are thick there. I've ran into at least one everytime I've hunted there, super cool guys but, I've been legal everytime.

Comment

Good luck to everyone going there and post pics.
                        Also, I've never seen them but, I've heard there are some huge pigs there.

Comment

I just got back from a walk in Teniente, I like to go walk there whenever I have a chance, I know the place very well as I worked the USFWS for some time and that was one of the tracks that were took care of, I have also hunted there many years and have harvested some animals and have been able to put some guys on great spots over the years with multiple animals taken out, I did not share any info on the past year except for maybe a hand full of guys that called me and asked for tips, Well today as I walked the area I found a tripod that was left behind by one of the guys that I talked to, I recomended him to stay away from that area as it has multiple bee hives nested underground in the burm from an old irrigation canal. His name and contact info was still legible on one of the legs of the tripod so I decided to call him, LOL, he said that he was chased out by the bees on the first day of the hunt as well as another hunter who was also in the same area, He said that he got hit 7 times on the head, neck and face and that he was chased all the way to his truck, I guess he walked to close to the entrance to the hive... I took out his tripod and will be meeting with him sometime next month in H town to give it back to him, he said he wont be back here anymore as he had the worst experience ever. LOL... I also found what was left of the other hunters pup up blind, the chair, calls and binos are still good, no contact info was found. The locals know what Im talking about, But for all you guys that have never been out here or that you have been out here once or twice, Please be care full, For anyone that wants some basic info I have attached a map with the color coded areas, RED is out of thr game, Orange has tons of bees in it, Pink has plenty of snakes, and sink holes where they hide....Blue has some great hunting, but stay away from the roads and fence lines, BUT IT IS GOOD TO FIND A CROSSING POINT ON THEM AND SET UP A LEAST 50 YARDS AWAY ( Nilgai ). The black area is owned by an ***&%$ who will drive around by his fence line hitting his horn and making all kind of noises to make anyone hunt miserable if he spots you near by, so try to stay away. just east of the orange area is a private property that is leased out for hunting, so don't expect to see much animals around that area anyway, If I can provide anyone with any more info just give me a shout.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Those of you who may not bring a travel trailer, where is the best place to stay?

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
                              Those of you who may not bring a travel trailer, where is the best place to stay?
                              Raymondville or Edinburg..

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
                                Valley Gateway RV Park is about 12 miles from the hunt area... if we decide to pull the RV we might stay there.

Comment

Working...
                                X