Renaming Austin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
    If you don't grasp "re-writing" try re-interpreting history. By saying the city should not be named for Stephen F. Austin, the basis for the move is because a person previously deemed a hero and worthy of being honored for founding the city now has been re-interpreted as a villain, unworthy of such an honor. Whether or not he may have owned slaves does not change the fact that the city named Austin would not be here without his efforts. To deny this much larger fact and instead vilify him over the slave issue qualifies as re-writing history.
    It isn't a denial or re-writing at all. It is placing an emphasis on a ALL aspects of his life that were absolutely the truth as well.

It's the same as Christopher Columbus. For some reason his endeavors were always looked upon with rose colored glasses. Just passed off because we were told to do so.

Things have changed, Columbus still has his place in history. Austin will have the same. No different.

Comment

^so where do you stop? Nobody is perfect, nobody.

Why not keep it the way it is, and teach why it was wrong?

Comment

No. No. No.

You do not change the name for these liberal pansies. If y'all dont like it..leave.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fortunately the city council can't change the name of the city without a city wide vote. And I don't see the crazy libs winning that vote. There is a difference between crazy libs and normal libs in this town. I have some family members that have streets and county buildings named after them here in Austin, and the patriarch of the family surname came to Texas in 1855 because the state they left from outlawed slavery... They didn't make the list so I guess their research somewhat sucks...

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            No. No. No.

You do not change the name for these liberal pansies. If y'all dont like it..leave.
            One can always hope ....

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
              Fortunately the city council can't change the name of the city without a city wide vote.
              Yea, that was the same in Houston.

Until they changed the rules.

The final votes to formalize the name change are still coming up; the mayor and city council have also been rethinking the rules on how to change street names, which currently require a written OK from 75 percent of the property owners along a public street. Fewer than half of Dowling St.’s property owners initially signed on to the change.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post

^This right here^

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  There's not a big city in the state that hasn't been ruined by liberals from somewhere outside Texas. It's not just Austin.
                  TRUTH!!!!!
                  Houston and Harris county has a much BIGGER problem/issue than Austin. At least the people that are ruining Austin are from the United States...

Comment

Just plain stupid

Comment

Click bait.

Nobody is changing Austin to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post

I think the main issue is slavery. It's not really about being perfect.

I also think it's a double edged sword. I dont think changing the name is a big deal either way.

I think having a vote is the best way to go.
                        Last edited by jer_james; 07-31-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Slavery is a part of our history. Get over it 19 year old white kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Slavery is a part of our history. Get over it 19 year old white kids.

Don't believe anyone is saying that it isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                              Click bait.

Nobody is changing Austin to anything.
                              Ten years ago I would’ve agreed with you ... not now.

Comment

Slavery is absolutely a part of our history. It is a part of the worlds history. Pretty much every race has owned slaves, Native Americans, Asians, Africans, Muslims, The Moops, pretty much every race except the Irish.

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                TRUTH!!!!!
                                Houston and Harris county has a much BIGGER problem/issue than Austin..
                                What do you mean, we just spent $1.2M to rename some of our poorly named schools, a few more million to rename some streets. The sad thing is that Houston is still at the forefront of modern day slavery, via prostitution and sex trafficking. But is Jolanda Jones concerned about them? No, we changed some offensive names instead.

Our Med Center is the largest medical complex in the world. We lead the world in space exploration. We dine out more than any other city. Houston in the most diverse city in the U.S. We have more parkland than anywhere else. But sadly we’re also No. 1 in something disgraceful that I didn’t know about. Houston is the main port of entry and the hub of human sex trafficking in the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X