• Show
Clear All

Oops I did it again!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
        They guy at the oversized baggage said the "live rounds" were by my binos in my backpack. I was pretty sure I had cleaned out the backpack because it is new but we did take it shooting before we left. Then I remembered my bino case/strap!

This is how I carry my leicas.

There are some pockets on the harness.

Found this when I opened the main pocket.

Apparently 3 rounds of 7mm-08 in a carry on bag causes some excitement! I totally forgot I put those three rounds in there the last trip with with junior. I wanted a few extra bullets in case things got spotty and obviously forgot they were there. No idea how security in the US didn't find them.

Security in American airports is a joke! Everyone is so impressed @ their own importance, it's a wonder they get anything accomplished.
        Carry on Doc & Doc and have a wonderful time!

Comment

good shooting Doc !

Comment

The Doc's New Zealand Huntingmoon!

The Tahr story:
            We got back to the lodge after skinning and packing out the stag and had lunch. I was shooting my bow and lil doc was looking at the posts on TBH. I decided to glass the canyon below and across from the lodge. We had been looking for a group of bull tahr close to the lodge in some bluffs by the county road the past 2 days but no one had seen them. We saw a bunch of female tahr in the canyon and down by a small tank I saw two white bull tahr and 5 dark bulls. Several look good. I ask Colin about it and wonder if these are the missing bulls. We look them over through the spotting scope and decide several are shooters.

We started our approach through the canyon and brush. Several times we had to crawl through tunnels in the brush. There was a grass covered chute next to a slide which would bring us up close to the tahr. That was our target. We picked our way down to the creek staying out of sight and keeping the wind right. We got to the grass chute and all three of us head up. I get to the top and peek over. The tahr are there but have eased off a bit. I range the closest shooter he is 55 yards. There is a steep ridge that I can work along to cut the distance. I go that way and peek out. I can't see the tahr! I sneak a bit further and have to crawl out in a chute of brush. Tahr are right in front of me. I range the best one and he is 33 yards. He starts to turn broadside and I draw. He must have seen something and freezes and quarters to me slightly. I put the 30 yard pin tight to the should and let the arrow fly. I hit about here I aimed but the penetration doesn't look great. I see my tahr stop in the brush but no shot. All the others ease off to 120 yards and we can't find the one I hit. I figure I wounded him! All the tahr are looking back at the brush and I see the brush start shaking--a good sign! We let them walk off and ease over. I see fletching in the brush and it's attached to a dead tahr. My goal for this trip is done.

It was an awesome stalk, heart shot, and a cool animal that's tough with a bow. Lil doc was right there for it all and got to experience a real spot and stalk bowhunt. It was awesome.

Last edited by docmay; 04-18-2017, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Great looking animal, now time to get her a matching one!

Matching full body mount tahr in the house would look pretty cool.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU Hunter View Post
                Great looking animal, now time to get her a matching one!

Matching full body mount tahr in the house would look pretty cool.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Maybe with a chamois in the mix!

Comment

Y'all got it going on, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome as always!!!

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the Tahr and the Stag...I am pretty sure I am going to blow my budget on the Stag.

Comment

Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Lifetime of memories already. Congrats to the both of you.

Comment

Something tells me that the evening, post hunt/kill celebrations are a bit better, on this hunt!

Congrats on some incredible animals ... as usual, you do not disappoint!

Comment

Awesome stag and Tahr

Congrats on the "Lion Sheep", never heard them called that but it definitely fits

Comment

Congrats on the animals and getting it done with a bow! I'm sure this isn't the end of entertaining us with dead animals, can't wait to see some more LDPs!

Comment

Working...
                                X