No announcement yet.

How to Reduce Pressure on Property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the best luck by having one person/vehicle drop every hunter off at their stand and pick them up when they are done. The person driving will have to find a close spot to park. I always use a road feeder to feed the blind that I drop someone off or after I put my stuff in the blind that I am hunting. I road feed and park as close as I can. I road feed every blind so the deer are used to that same vehicle and expect the corn. Never allow anyone to shoot and get out of the blind. Allow a vehicle to pick them up to run the deer off then road feed leaving. If no one can pick the shooter up then have them wait till all deer leave the area on their own. You can kill mature bucks at feeder(I have done it for a long time) but I prefer to kill them on the corn in the roads. I have done this since 1989 on several ranches and it has always worked well.

Comment

Stay out of there is the best advice I can offer. Limit your trips to times when you have the best chance of seeing a mature buck. You mite have to miss a few days/weekends.

Comment

We have this one spot that we would walk past a feed pen with corn and protein. Almost every time we would go past we would jump deer from it at 6 in the morning. Camera would show bucks and does eating protein right before we got there. We quit coming in that way and walk the long way around and come in from the other direction. We hand corn all the other roads accept the one that goes past the feed pen. We also try to drag a scent rag with doe n heat about 200 yards out from the blind. We think the scent helps cover our scent and throws them off. The scent doesn't work as intended to except for when it is right and it does great things. Good luck and keep the driving to a minimum.

Comment

If the deer are already there, I drive up to the stand. Always seemed like they don’t go far when you drive up and get dropped off. But when I try to sneak in they always just take off and don’t come back

If I’m by myself, I still drive up. Put my stuff in the blind go park and then walk back in

Comment

I would say that 50% of our property is very thick oak,cedar elm, and cedar thickets in big draws and revines that's in the middle of or property. we never walk or drive anywhere near this location. We drive my truck to and from the stands (stay about 300 yards away at the very least) since its very quiet and as soon as we get done we try to sneak out of there as quiet as possible and get back to the house. We don't do any walking or anything bc we don't want to spook any deer. I think one of the blinds is going to have to be an afternoon spot only since there are deer there every morning. I think deer definitely do not blow or spook when you are driving a truck in the woods vs a human being seen. We have a UTV but we don't like to use it unless it's very muddy. Maybe one day we can find an electric golf cart for a good deal. I think one of those would be awesome. I guess it's just tough when you have so many deer.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
              I have had the best luck by having one person/vehicle drop every hunter off at their stand and pick them up when they are done. The person driving will have to find a close spot to park. I always use a road feeder to feed the blind that I drop someone off or after I put my stuff in the blind that I am hunting. I road feed and park as close as I can. I road feed every blind so the deer are used to that same vehicle and expect the corn. Never allow anyone to shoot and get out of the blind. Allow a vehicle to pick them up to run the deer off then road feed leaving. If no one can pick the shooter up then have them wait till all deer leave the area on their own. You can kill mature bucks at feeder(I have done it for a long time) but I prefer to kill them on the corn in the roads. I have done this since 1989 on several ranches and it has always worked well.
              My father in law taught us to do the same thing. You have to be fast crawling up into the tower when being dropped off or the corn hungry residentials will watch you crawl into the blind. A gunshot that kills a buck down one sendero often wont clear the rest of the senderos the pickup coming to pick them up will. Deer in the brush can almost be taught to come to the ching a ching of a road feeder like cattle come to the siren of a cake feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                Maybe one day we can find an electric golf cart for a good deal. I think one of those would be awesome. I guess it's just tough when you have so many deer.
                And this is why I bought an electric Polaris Ranger (EV). The only thing I would change about it is I wish they made one in the crew version. A 100 +/- quart ice chest in the bed makes a nice seat.

Comment

First, some background:

The property I hunt on is 46 acres, but we only hunt 30 acres of it with any regularity. There's a creek that cuts through the property and we can't get across it unless the water level is normal to low. The property is mostly wooded (mesquite trees) with a couple of openings. We typically see multiple deer every hunt. Not tons of deer, but usually 5-10 depending on the stand. The biggest deer we've ever killed was a 10 point that scored 132. We had a trail camera out last year from September through early January and we had at least 10-12 different bucks on it.

What we do:

- The road around the property follows the fence line & creek line. We do not drive or walk through the interior of the property unless it's right after season is over or we have to for some reason.

- If we have to go out between the morning and evening hunts, we go right after we get back from the morning hunt so the woods have 4-5 hours to calm down before the evening hunt.

- If we need to put corn in the feeders or do any work on the stands, we do it after the Sunday morning hunt before we head home.

- We walk to the stands and do not use four wheelers.

- We try to keep noise to a minimum.

- If we're really serious about hunting, we don't do a campfire.

Now, we have a 500+ acre piece of property that borders us to the south, so I'm sure that helps with making the deer feel protected. However, there's no doubt in my mind that keeping things as quiet and secluded as possible helps a lot in seeing deer on our place.

Comment

I parachute in for each hunt, lol

Comment

Beam me up Scotty.

Comment

Great question. IMO it is a huge part of being successful. We walk to our blinds in the pasture closest to our camp and we attempt to limit feeding to when you leave on Sundays.

I like to save my best spot for high percentage days during the rut and north wind situations. I don't like ruining a good spot on a day where the chances are against seeing a mature buck.

Love hearing everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Comment

If the deer are already at the feeders in the morning, maybe you are throwing too much corn in the evening?

I only use a light if I HAVE to. Hate using lights in the morning. A couple guys that hunt with me are scared of the dark and shine their lights all over the place. We see about the same numbers of deer.

We usually get to the stands about an hour before the feeders go off in both the mornings and evenings.

We only check cameras at mid-day, or after dark. No need for unnecessary driving around during the "good" hours.

Scrap the golf cart idea and get you a Polaris Ranger EV. You are welcome to swing by our place and try mine out.

Comment

I have several stands, but one of them is my "fun stand". I sit there when conditions aren't perfect for my other spots. Maybe its too warm, or the wind is wrong, or too early or late in the season, or cameras aren't showing movement. I only go to my best spots when I think I have a really good chance of killing something. My fun stand is pretty bullet proof with great access and cover that lets me hunt it over and over without alerting deer to my presence. I have a feeder there so usually have some does or small bucks around, but rarely see anything big.

Comment

Working...
                            X