Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    Excellent post.

One thing I've noticed with cats is that they're always mounted with slits for eyes. If you do a google images search of bobcats, you see a lot of round eyes.

Can anyone clear this up?
    Are you speaking of the pupil?

A bobcat's pupil works just like your pupil. When you're in a darker area, your pupil opens up. When you're in a brighter area, your pupil closes. Only a cat's pupil doesn't stay round like yours does. When it closes, it's round ... when it's open, it's like a vertical stretched out football.

Is that the answer you were looking for?

Comment

Great Post Kevin

Comment

Low Fence ... you "get it"!

Comment

I'm no photographer so pictures arn't my thing. The flash really makes things apprear much "brighter" than they actually look.

Comment

This is an awesome post. The details you look for are incredible and things I would not have thought about.

Excellent post.

One thing I've noticed with cats is that they're always mounted with slits for eyes. If you do a google images search of bobcats, you see a lot of round eyes.

[ATTACH]146000[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146001[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146002[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146003[/ATTACH]
            I guess I would say the majority of bobcat mounts I've seen have the eyes too open and too round so they have an unrealistic "deer in the headlights" look. The ones that look more realistic seem to be open, but slightly relaxed. The other thing I think I see is not enough relief in the face, that the face is too flat from forehead to nose?

Good points - I'm starting to see with a completely different set of eyes now!

Comment

Excellent post.

[ATTACH]146000[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146001[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146002[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]146003[/ATTACH]
              I can, use round pupil eyes, thats what i do

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Something I have never understood.....

Why "most" deer hunters will be more than eager to spend hundreds to thousands on a gun/bow, thousands on a lease, hundreds on a feeder, several hundred on corn and protein, gas to and from lease, sometimes guide and trophy fees......and then look for a "good deal" on the product of their time and money?
                Duck hunters are even worse, we will buy any and every gimmick out their, through thousands at a gun we dont need, $12-$35 a box on shells, thousands on a boat, and then look for a guy to do a $50 duck mount and find a "dog" (most important tool one can own) at a "great price".

I know money is an issue to most (me included) its just odd when you stand back and think about it.

Great post, Thanks

Agree.....I am the world's worst about looking for a great deal but there are some things not meant to be discounted.....

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  Are you speaking of the pupil?

A bobcat's pupil works just like your pupil. When you're in a darker area, your pupil opens up. When you're in a brighter area, your pupil closes. Only a cat's pupil doesn't stay round like yours does. When it closes, it's round ... when it's open, it's like a vertical stretched out football.

Is that the answer you were looking for?
                  Yup. Thanks. I think we posted at the same time. The post right above yours has a link that explains it well. The eye is elliptical in bright areas and round in dark areas.

Comment

Good post, Kevin.

In business, if it's good and fast, it's probably not cheap.
                    If it's good and cheap it's probably not fast, and
                    if it's cheap and fast, it's probably not good.

A lot of times in taxidermy however, anything that is done "fast" is probably not very good regardless of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterpt1 View Post
                      I can, use round pupil eyes, thats what i do

I've noticed that on your cat mounts from previous threads. I was impressed. Good stuff!

Comment

Courtney ... I've always been tempted to post this sign!

Click image for larger version

Name:	good-cheap-fast3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	23917946

Comment

Oh ... Jason ... look at the picture that pops up in the banner.
                          It's a buck, with his mouth open ... Casey took it.
                          That picture shows the pinkish color WELL!

Awesome shutter work, Casey!

Comment

Oops - I didn't think of the pupils. My post was referring to the actual skin around the eyes.

Comment

Here's another one for ya!
                              Top ... bad kitty.
                              Bottom ... Rooster's kitty.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	roostercat.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	23917948

Comment

I just realized something else ... the title of this thread DOES NOT include the name of this taxidermist.

Comment

Working...
                                X