Growing Oaks from Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Chestnuts are beginning to sprout.

A few of the Swamp white oaks are taking off.

I also planted a tray of Shumard Red Oaks today that were beginning to sprout in the fridge

Comment

I have grown pecan,bur,live oak,shumard,and water oaks over the last five years.

Comment

TTT to see how everyone is doing with their growing.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornTX View Post
          TTT to see how everyone is doing with their growing.
          I have started moving some of my bigger plants into grow bags. Now I have White Oak, Hybrid White Oak, Swamp White Oak, Overcup Oak, Chinquapin Oak, Sawtooth Oak, Shumard Red Oak, Bur Oak, Alghenny Chinkapin, Chinese Chestnut, and Hybrid Chestnut all growing. Waiting on Water Oak, Willow Oak, and Japanese Maples to sprout.

Comment

Got another oak sproat from this bucket. I think I planted 4 in this pot from the parent oak tree. This is the first acorn crop off the parent tree. I am not sure how that fairs in the health of the acorn. My Mexican Sycamores are doing pretty good. Got about 12 sprouts. Will plant more now that weather is warmer.
            Attached Files

Comment

tuned in

Comment

How would you plant this Burr oak acorn? Shell off?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post

How would you plant this Burr oak acorn? Shell off?
                  I only had a few Burr Oak acorns and I peeled the cap off of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                    I only had a few Burr Oak acorns and I peeled the cap off of mine.

How did they turn out?
                    How is your Chinese Chestnut turning out?
                    I would love to get some chestnuts going.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                      How did they turn out?
                      How is your Chinese Chestnut turning out?
                      I would love to get some chestnuts going.
                      4 of 5 Burr Oak acorns that I had germinated and are growing good. The Chinese Chestnuts were doing great until moving them outside. I gradually introduced them to the outside but still have some beginning to lose leaves now.

Comment

Squirrels are tearing me up. They have gotten me for about 15 small oak trees, two walnut trees, and three pecan trees. I feel a war coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornTX View Post
                          Squirrels are tearing me up. They have gotten me for about 15 small oak trees, two walnut trees, and three pecan trees. I feel a war coming on.

Man that sux. Pile em up!

Comment

Take the outer shell off along with the main shell and get ALOT quicker germination/sprouts.
                            I Asked in an above post and have since tried with awesome results.

Comment

For y'all in East TX in particular you will be able to buy Chestnut trees at select Walmart locations. Dr. Kroll had Robert Wallace of Chestnut Hill Outdoors to his annual field day a couple weeks ago and gave a good talk on Chestnuts.

Fascinating history.

Comment

Here is a list of Texas Walmart stores that will be selling the Dunston Chestnut trees: (3 and 7 gallon)

249 Walmart Cleveland TX 831 Highway 59 S. 77327 281-592-2654 2
                                236 Walmart Crockett TX 1225 E. Loop 304 75835 936-544-5121 2
                                165 Walmart Henderson TX 2121 US Highway 79 S. 75654 903-657-5707 2
                                285 Walmart Huntsville TX 141 Interstate 45 S. 77340 936-293-1066 2
                                275 Walmart Livingston TX 1620 W. Church Street 77351 936-327-6370 2
                                140 Walmart Lufkin TX 2500 Daniel McCall Drive 75904 936-639-9600 2
                                131 Walmart Mt. Pleasant TX 2311 S. Jefferson Avenue 75455 903-572-0018 2
                                163 Walmart Nacogdoches TX 4810 North Street 75965 936-560-6969 2
                                947 Walmart SHERMAN TX 401 E US HIGHWAY 82 75092 903 813 4825 2
                                2688 Walmart Tyler TX 6801 S. Broadway Avenue 75703 903-581-4296 2

Comment

Working...
                                X