Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
    Ah yes bugs will be bad, headnets are good

Headnet? Who still uses those since Thermacell was invented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No matter where you hunt, you have a great chance at great deer. Be mindful the mosquitos swarm cool evening will drown out the sounds of the woods. Have a bug suit and a thermacell. Last I knew you can't wait but that not a worry if you hunt hardwoods dropping acorns and/or fresh deer sign. Y'all will have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
        North side is better than the South side, try to hunt the oak trees, not a lot of oak trees around either side, North side has some private land in it by the small lake and have seen some good bucks in there next to the private property the lake provides a natural funnel
        Lot of the primo stuff on the north side was bulldozed when they built the wetlands, all the better deer I've seen have come off the south unit, but theres alot more acreage on that side, plus it borders the forbidden zone. And Gom is right if you bring and ATV or not will also be a determining factor in what compartment they put your in.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
          My nephew got drawn for the youth hunt at Richland Creek next weekend. I will be taking him and we will be taking ATV as well. I have never hunted there before, anybody got any info/advice they wouldn't mind sharing? Feel free to post or PM. We will be taking climbers, pop ups, whatever we gotta do to be in the right location and get him a shot at one.
          My sons were both picked a few times several years ago and they each shot their first deer there. The mgmt there always placed us on the North side, where the pipelines run through. Always saw lots of deer, and some real nice ones too. Of course when we saw the nice bucks, we were in a doe/spike hunt and vice versa. Oh well, at least we always came home with meat. They put on a good hunt there and the biologists will help you with questions.

Comment

I hunted twice there as an adult and twice with my kids. My son didn't want to stay the whole time and that probably cost him some opportunities. He hunted the YDE hunt in 2014. My daughter shot her first deer on a management hunt in 2014. On all of our hunts we were in the north units.

There was a unit that was close to county line, right off 287, that my kids hunted (unit 14). We saw lots of deer but no wall hangers. As an adult, I hunted unit 21 a couple of times. Saw a wall hanger in 2004 there, but couldn't get the shot before he jumped the fence.

Good luck finding trees to climb with a climber. I used a climber, but it wasn't always optimal. Used a ground blind with the kids and that worked pretty well.

Good luck!

Comment

Appreciate the help y'all hopefully he can smoke a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

We have thermacell and refill packs ready to go!

Comment

i have a place 7 miles down the road, i've hunted RC 4 different times and i drew for the bow hunt this year (Dec 4-8)
                  you are going to hit it right, the weather will be good and the bucks up there are starting to move. I'm headed up to our place thursday night to hunt the wknd. drop me a note sunday and i'll tell you exactly what the deer are doing.

Comment

If they put you on the South side, one of the compartments that borders the "Forbidden Zone" would be good if you don't mind walking in a ways. I don't remember the compartment number but it is one of the first ones on the left after you leave the check station. A guy there was using a climber and I have seen some niiiice deer in the evenings grazing in the Forbidden Zone.

Comment

Well
                      How’d it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are in compartment 1 behind the camp/check station. We have seen an average of 25-30 deer a sit. We are hunting a very big deer we have seen twice now but nephew was unable to get a shot. He's passed on some other good deer hoping to get this one. We have till dark left, I'm thinking here in another hr or so the trophy hunting will be over and the does better look out!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                            We are in compartment 1 behind the camp/check station. We have seen an average of 25-30 deer a sit. We are hunting a very big deer we have seen twice now but nephew was unable to get a shot. He's passed on some other good deer hoping to get this one. We have till dark left, I'm thinking here in another hr or so the trophy hunting will be over and the does better look out!
                            Sounds like you got one of the units bordering the forbidden zone.. Well?

Comment

Hoping they got a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

If your Thermacell keeps away biting Gnats let me know what I'm doing wrong. I had mine going in the treestand Saturday and they ate me up. I had deer around most of the evening waiting on a big 9 and movement to keep em out of my eyes was slow. No bueno!

Comment

Working...
                                X