No announcement yet.

Trifecta complete. A 12 I named Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No feeder. I put up a pole feeder several hundred yards south of this spot to keep corn in the area when I wasn't there. We don't use corn feeders on the Junco. One of the first things we did when we took over the feed program was to do away with the slingers in the protein pens. We may set one up in a new pen, but when the deer start using the protein, we take it out. Protein has its own draw.

What I do when I look for a deer is to put out corn in the area and put it out over several areas where I hope to see the deer. I will sit my Ranger, sit on a stool on the side of the road/sendero/trail, put up a tripod and do long range scouting. When I find the deer and figure out where he likes to spend time, then I set up. This deer was never seen in a protein pen. As a matter of fact, he was not seen by anyone but me, and then my brother. We set up on him and fed three blinds. I quit feeding the two on the pipeline as his sightings were rare. If he wanted corn, he could come to me on the little out of the way squiggly road. And he did.

If I catch a deer on a camera that uses a protein pen a lot, I'll set up around that pen. That wide 11 is an example. I knew he had been in the area and set up behind the protein feeder. Brother John is the same way. However, if he hadn't have broken, I would have moved off the pen into a big flat north and east of the protein feeder that he used. Once I saw he was only using the feeder at night, I'd have gone into the area where I believe he spent most of his time. Hopefully it'll work for me next year because he's my no. 1 priority next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
      No feeder. I put up a pole feeder several hundred yards south of this spot to keep corn in the area when I wasn't there. We don't use corn feeders on the Junco. One of the first things we did when we took over the feed program was to do away with the slingers in the protein pens. We may set one up in a new pen, but when the deer start using the protein, we take it out. Protein has its own draw.

What I do when I look for a deer is to put out corn in the area and put it out over several areas where I hope to see the deer. I will sit my Ranger, sit on a stool on the side of the road/sendero/trail, put up a tripod and do long range scouting. When I find the deer and figure out where he likes to spend time, then I set up. This deer was never seen in a protein pen. As a matter of fact, he was not seen by anyone but me, and then my brother. We set up on him and fed three blinds. I quit feeding the two on the pipeline as his sightings were rare. If he wanted corn, he could come to me on the little out of the way squiggly road. And he did.

If I catch a deer on a camera that uses a protein pen a lot, I'll set up around that pen. That wide 11 is an example. I knew he had been in the area and set up behind the protein feeder. Brother John is the same way. However, if he hadn't have broken, I would have moved off the pen into a big flat north and east of the protein feeder that he used. Once I saw he was only using the feeder at night, I'd have gone into the area where I believe he spent most of his time. Hopefully it'll work for me next year because he's my no. 1 priority next year.

Thanks for the info. I am suprised yall do not use feeders on the Junco? Are yall bow only there? If not do the rifle hunter still corn senderos? Congrats again on a great deer..

Comment

There are 4 of us that bowhunt. My 3 brothers and one second tier. The rest rifle hunt. The main way that the ranch is hunted is by corning the roads and senderos and settin up high racks or tripod.

Comment

Congrats! excellent write-up!

Comment

Congrats on a Banner Year Paw-In-Law... I think you have killed enough big deer, lets send a couple my way!!!

Comment

i would of gone for the rib eye myself .....good looking deer

Comment

Good job Tuthdoc.

Comment

wow......great story and buck

Comment

Great story and great deer.

Comment

Great deer and story!!

Comment

Outstanding write up Doc! Great buck and one heck of a season! Congrats!

Comment

A few more and I'll be up with you, Bruce. LOL

Comment

Great story and an awesome buck. Congrats Doc!!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                              A few more and I'll be up with you, Bruce. LOL
                              Yeah right...I'm betting Ol' Doc has me by more than a few.

I was in the dead room last night and I'm really lacking some exotic flare. Whitetails everywhere - but thats about it.

Comment

Great story great pics. I always look forward to these Doc.

Comment

Working...
                                X