No announcement yet.

Caddo Natl. Grasslands 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One guy bumped into me on Saturday, but moved quietly on when I waved my orange cap at him. In his defense, I was 18 feet off the ground. Otherwise, the only people I saw were in camp or in parking areas.

Comment

Got run out by some firebugs with the forest service. Doing "controlled" burns on a couple of the units.

Aside from ending my hunt early not a bad day. Saw a handful of deer just nothing worth flinging a sharp stick at.

Comment

I'll be heading back out there after work today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater0331 View Post
          Got run out by some firebugs with the forest service. Doing "controlled" burns on a couple of the units.

Aside from ending my hunt early not a bad day. Saw a handful of deer just nothing worth flinging a sharp stick at.

Are any of the controlled burn areas closed for the weekend? If so are they posted. I've tried calling the office in Decatur but I guess they took a four day Columbus Day weekend

Comment

Don't know if there would be something to broadcast it, but they stapled a sign to a fence post as a form of notification.

Comment

Anyone see anything this weekend?

Comment

Cricket.....

I'll be headed out tomorrow morning.

Comment

Went back out yesterday and set up in another area with a good pond and natural draws that funnel the deer in. Large pond so it made for a bit longer shot than I cared for hunting off the ground, but it worked. Actually everything worked out perfectly except my broadhead. 4 does at dusk, picked the biggest and after 30 min with fading light I took the one shot opportunity she presented me: 55 yards facing straight towards me. Head came up, stick her dead center of the brisket with a 100grn Grim Reaper razorcut. After the hit when she bolted I could see the last 6" of arrow and my lighted knock sticking out of her chest. Waited her out, went over to where I shot her and could not find a drop off blood anywhere. She ran up into a ticket, (thick enough I couldn't even see the lit knock). After an hour tromping through briars and thorns in the dark I gave up... first deer I've ever lost. First deer I shot that didn't bleed...guess there's a first time for everything, but this one has me tore up.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Tater0331. That deer is dead with that placement for sure. She may have ran a good ways before the cavity filled up enough to pour blood out of just one hole with an arrow filling it. Seems like a marginal shot on a WT esp. at that distance, but I assume you're probably a dang good shot if you felt comfortable at that range in the first place. I shot a doe once that ran 50 yards into a solid blackberry briar patch before dripping a pinky-nail size drop of blood. I was down to crawling on random pig trails when I found that blood and then another 30 yards later, the deer. And that was during daylight. Those jokers have the upper hand at night for sure.

Good job on picking a good spot and being where they are naturally. Those are some pretty woods to hunt and the deer seem to have decent size to them there. Will look forward to a LDP, I imagine you'll get a redemption shot soon. I sympathize with the tore-up feeling. It'll pass, just don't let it keep you from trying again asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater0331 View Post
                      Went back out yesterday and set up in another area with a good pond and natural draws that funnel the deer in. Large pond so it made for a bit longer shot than I cared for hunting off the ground, but it worked. Actually everything worked out perfectly except my broadhead. 4 does at dusk, picked the biggest and after 30 min with fading light I took the one shot opportunity she presented me: 55 yards facing straight towards me. Head came up, stick her dead center of the brisket with a 100grn Grim Reaper razorcut. After the hit when she bolted I could see the last 6" of arrow and my lighted knock sticking out of her chest. Waited her out, went over to where I shot her and could not find a drop off blood anywhere. She ran up into a ticket, (thick enough I couldn't even see the lit knock). After an hour tromping through briars and thorns in the dark I gave up... first deer I've ever lost. First deer I shot that didn't bleed...guess there's a first time for everything, but this one has me tore up.

Sorry to hear that

Comment

It wasn't the broadheads fault, shot placement, shot angle.

Comment

Any updates? Thinking about adding CNG to my scouting list for the spring. I am only bow hunting this year, but may add gun in next year if I don't get any early season success. any particular units ya'll like the most? is it crowded with guys now that gun season is open?

Comment

My buddy is out there as we speak. Hasn't seen anything

Comment

Trying out CNG

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                              I plan to hunt CNG for the first time this year. When I searched the forums not a lot came up, so I thought I'd start a thread.

If anyone has been out there recently, I'd be interested in hearing what the water level is like in the creeks and lakes,and how heavily hunted it typically is there. I plan to make a trip there Saturday to put foot to ground.

Good luck and happy hunting.
                              Hey Slow and Steady,

It’s been a couple years since this post but like you not much comes up when I search for Caddo.

Have you been hunting it since? Any words of advice so I start off in the right direction?

Comment

I've been up there a few times, will probably be out on Saturday with my boy. Lots of pigs, seen a couple of deer. Signs are there just have not been able to get on top of them yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X