Juco Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catcher20 View Post
    I caught two years at Blinn and another two at UTSA, and then coached a year while finishing up my degree.

Tell him to stick it out and keep working. JUCO ball is at times more demanding than playing for an established division 1 program.
    Were you there with Lockwood?

Comment

I played against Chris Davis my freshman year in Corsicana, and during BP it was nothing for him to hit the building. He was just one of many guys in our conference to make The show. They had a pitcher from the same year named Jess Todd that pitched in the bigs as well as Angelina college pitcher Andrew Cashner that is still pitching on the bigs. Region 14 juco baseball was an awesome time with tuff competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        I hunt with Skip Johnson who was the head beisbol coach there for a long time and Chris Davis that plays for Baltimore and played for Skip at Navarro. Skip said that Chris hit a ball on top of the mall there in right field at Corsicana. I always claimed BS on that one Take a look out there and see what you think about that legend next time your there.
        Chris has hit a few big flies in his time though!
        Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Just texted Eric, who said "yep, I've heard that story" on Chris Davis. That would be a pretty good poke, for sure. Gotta be at least 50 yards from the right field fence to the Atwoods store. Shortest part of fence is about 325, so guesstimate of 475 feet. Not out of the realm of possibility.
        I've been associated with San Jac - North for 21 years and have been fortunate to watch lots of great baseball in that time.

One year when Chris was at Navarro, we were playing them in the Region XIV tournament in Mt. Pleasant. He hit one over the right field light poles. I see the guy who was pitching that game every now and then, and we still talk about that homer.

Comment

I hunt with Skip Johnson who was the head beisbol coach there for a long time and Chris Davis that plays for Baltimore and played for Skip at Navarro. Skip said that Chris hit a ball on top of the mall there in right field at Corsicana. I always claimed BS on that one Take a look out there and see what you think about that legend next time your there.
          Chris has hit a few big flies in his time though!
          Coach: I sent you a PM a little while ago, but can't see it in my "sent items".
          Hope it got through.

Comment

Our Navarro Bulldogs are fixing to play four games in three days: Friday game with Bossier Parish (weather) got moved to Sunday and also playing them a double header today; then Temple in Temple Monday. Gonna need all pitching hands on deck, so to speak.

Comment

Got the scoop on the Chris Davis longball discussion. Talked to "Pops", who has helped out coaching at Navarro for over two decades. He said he was coaching first base when Davis hit, not one, but two homeruns on top of the Corsicana Mini Mall (something like that). By the way, I did step off the distance from the right field fence to the building: 49 paces, so our 50-yard estimate was close enough for government work. Anyway, Pops said that both dingers went out over the 380-foot part of the field. The first one hit an AC unit about 10 or 15 feet in from the edge of the roof, while the second one hit a unit with an angled grate situated about 75 feet from the edge of the building. So the math would be 380+150+10=540 feet for the shorter first homer; while the second would be 380+150+75=605 feet for a monstrous moonshot. Pops noted how high Davis always hit the ball. He also recollected the homer that Salth2o mentioned during the Mt. Pleasant Region XIV tournament, hitting the light structure.

Comment

Update for the weekend series of Navarro vs Bossier Parish: Navarro won the series 2-1.
                However, the loss on Sunday puts Navarro into a tie with Panola, with each having 9-3 conference records (Region XIV East). This sets the stage for a series this weekend between the teams.

My son Eric pitched well in relief in Saturday's late game: pitching two innings with zero earned runs and 5 Ks.

Comment

Dang, wicked side arm pitch.

Comment

Safety reminder: Parents/coaches please remind players at all levels to be alert for foul balls in the dugout. Had a situation where one of our strongest kids -- batting right-handed -- was late on a fastball and hit a laser shot into Bossier's dugout (on the first base side). Hit one of their players square in the mouth, sending him to the ER. Luckily, he turned out to be basically okay, except that he will need dental work for chipped teeth, according to his coaches that I visited with the next day.

Comment

My son is a pitcher(Jr)and looking into going the Juco baseball route. I could rave about him all day but until someone notices him we will continue searching.

Comment

Originally posted by JVasquez View Post
                        My son is a pitcher(Jr)and looking into going the Juco baseball route. I could rave about him all day but until someone notices him we will continue searching.
                        Good luck to him and you. Tape his outings and edit a video to post on YouTube and here. You never know.

Also, is he playing with any select organizations? If so, some of those coaches may know of coaches to contact and get him a tryout. Also, there are showcase events where college and pro scouts watch for talent.
                        Last edited by tradtiger; 03-27-2017, 09:27 PM. Reason: Add info.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          Good luck to him and you. Tape his outings and edit a video to post on YouTube and here. You never know.

Also, is he playing with any select organizations? If so, some of those coaches may know of coaches to contact and get him a tryout. Also, there are showcase events where college and pro scouts watch for talent.
                          By "you never know", I mean you never who might see it and contact you about a tryout. That's one of the main reasons for this thread.

Post up: high school and JUCO players/parents with highlights and stats that may help get you or your kid get to the "next level".
                          Last edited by tradtiger; 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

He's going to try out with 12baseball and Houston Heat. He played with the Houston Saints last summer. We've been in contact with Chad Raley from Marrccci Baton Rouge.

Comment

Can't remember if you were there then? I'm old and can't remember anything.
                              I'm not that young I was there in 95-96

Comment

Navarro won Thursday's game with Panola at Carthage, 8-3; play two more against Panola on Saturday in Corsicana. These are the conference leaders in Region XIV East, and were tied prior to Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X