Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smdh!!

Comment

My Dad is 87, he was stationed in Japan for almost two years. Did his time and was discharged. He never ask anything from the VA. Not a loan, nothing. Worked his butt off his whole life and finally retired at 75. He suffers with neuropathy, very painful. Went to the VA to see if he could get help as the only thing that remotely helps him cost over 900.00 dollars a month. They said they could not find him in their records, turns out his records were in a fire along with many other servicemen years ago. It took a while but they finally acknowledged he was a Vet. Bottom line is they will not help with his Meds.
      I guess if you work hard and serve your Country, pay taxes, you get the short end of the stick. But, if you don't work, the Government pays you!

Comment

I want to thank you guys that said I need to contact DAV. I now have an advocate and am in the process of gathering medical records now. Unbeknownst to me, the first doctor that operated on my foot put in his notes that I have a severe foot deformity. After reading this to my wife she asked me with a smirk on her face how I was able to join the Army with a severely deformed foot.

Comment

I'm glad you found an advocate to assist. I'm working with my parents to do the same for them. The VA system is very difficult to navigate and too many give up because out of frustration.

Comment

Active duty time only begins once your training status ends, i.e. Boot camp, MOS school, special schools. Then before anytime counts you must be in more than 180 days. Reserve duty counts for 1/2 days of the day you actually drill. So if you drilled 2 days every month for a year then you have 24 days on duty and that equates into being on active duty for 12 days but under reserve orders. It's a strange deal but unless you were active duty and sustained injuries in a combat zone the VA is almost more of a headache than it worth. I broke my neck and femur in the Corps after a few years in, and they offered me 60% per month and I turned it down so that I could re-enlist. Besides that I had to be in a body cast for my femure for six months, I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO WALK AGAIN. I went to the Army back to the Infantry and have had two wounds, and I'm still in. It really ****** me off when someone who was a desk jockey or gets disability for back pain from sitting in a chair their whole career. I know of three 100% disabled people who run marathons and are perfectly fine. The excuse I always hear is "they did this to me so they should pay me". I think the government shouldn't pay them because their desk chair wasn't just right and they were just big ole wusses. AHH rant over

Comment

I don't have a clue what is considered active duty now. When I was in almost 50 years ago your time started the day you took the oath. With 180 days in service you qualified for the GI benefits. NGs and Reservist served 6 months active duty including basic and AIT. We also made $72 a month as an E1.

Again, as others have said keep pushing if you feel you have a claim.

Comment

Well, i requested my dd214 in august through archieve.gov and I mailed off the signature page the next day. A couple of weeks ago, I got an email stating they never got my signature page and my request had been deleted. Well, maybe the 3rd time is a charm? The 3rd request was sent out on Friday and I faxed off the signature page this time instead of mailing it off.

So yesterday I went by the local V.A. office to talk to DAV. It is a good thing I did as the DAV rep told me the V.A. was requesting an update to a form I filled out in August!

So now I have to wait till my dd214 comes in. This will take a few months.

Comment

I did not serve in the military, wish I had. This is a disgrace that our country gives so much to illegals and wont take care of our own who serve their country. Four more years of Dummycrats and we will be done. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!

Comment

Please don't expect fair treatment at the hands of the VA. The machinations by them are simply incredible. Your best friends, and only allies will be the DAV and the Texas Veteran's Commission. Be patient and don't let them (the VA) frustrate you. I truly believe they want people to get frustrated and drop their claims - less work for them. They also act like you're trying to take money out of their pocket.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                      So it appears since I was in the Army Reserves and never was active service, and since I was in for less than 2 years I am S.O.L.

During basic I hurt my left foot twice, which lead to my discharge. Fast forward 20 years and I have had 5 foot surgeries and a knee surgery from problems that are related from the injuries I sustained in basic.

So if I jump through a whole lot of hoops, and if the local V.A. agrees that my current problems are associated with the injuries sustained 20 years ago then I'll get a small check every month, but no medical help at all which is what I need.

Sorry guys, I am just very frustrated at all of this.
                      I know a guy who went AWOL from boot camp back in the 70's, he was discharged, he gets full benefits from the VA, damdest thing I ever heard.

Comment

I was told by the va that my wife makes to much for me to qualify for va medical. At least I can draw SS. So I have no use for them.
                        I never needed medical during my 30 years as a cop but once my health went south I asked. Have no use for them or some of their reps.
                        I'm proud as hell for my service as a Jarhead
                        Last edited by wow; 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Here is another update.

I got a thick envelope in the mail today from the national archives. Great, now I can get my dd214 to DAV and get things going. So I open it up and to my shock it states that I never received a dd214 because I had less than 90 consecutive days of active duty for training. What? So I read the attached pages and they state I joined in November of 93 and my separation was finalized on August 3rd of 96.

I don't know what to say. I just don't know what to say.

Comment

Here is something else that my wife just pointed out. On the page that states when I was discharged, at the bottom is says my name, and in front of my name it says PFC (private first class). So if I have less than 90 days active duty then how was I an E3 (PFC) when I was discharged?

Comment

Don't even get me started......
                              Cause, I wouldn't know where to begin....
                              Trump, promised to take care of Vets......We'll see.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                https://www.dav.org/

They will be your advocate to the VA.
                                Or you might also try

To safeguard the entitlements of American veterans, AMVETS provides service such as VA claim filing assistance, employment assistance, advocacy in D.C., & more. Don’t wait to give a tax-deductible donation that helps our nation’s heroes!

Comment

Working...
                                X