No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep heres mine, unfortunatley it was my dad that did it. I was on a lease several years back and tell my dad he can shoot a doe or two and a mature buck if he sees one. I put him on my best stand. I go to pick him up after the evening hunt and he says he shot a doe, with his bow and she ran this way. Couldn't find blood so we decided to come back in the morning. He hunts there again and shoots another doe and she ran the same as the first.

Found both deer. One was 1.5 old 5 pointer and the other was 6pt same age. I was pretty upset with him. There went my two bucks for the year. But at least it was my dad. I can forgive him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
      I guided my brother in law on a management buck near Laredo. We got it on film, and he was pumped to have a nice 6.5 135 inch 10 point. We were allowed two bucks on this ranch so now it was time for me to start focusing on a trophy. I put my b-I-l in a blind and told him to shoot a hog or javelina. I guess I forgot to specify not to shoot another buck as he should of known I only got two bucks. A few minutes later, he calls and stated he has another buck down but only this one was bigger. I asked if he was joking and sure enough it was no joke. He had a beautiful 10 point laying on the ground which about made me throw-up. He asked if I was mad and I said no bc its my fault for letting you hunt by yourself. I also stated that my hunting season was done for the year. He keeps asking when he can go hunting again, but I always have a good excuse ready.

Moral of the story: don't let guest sit by themselves. It's your fault if they mess up.
      I'm going to hunt with you Cody. Can you set me up in one of your blinds? I promise to be just like your BIL!!!!!

Comment

I was in camp 3 weeks ago with a buddy and some 3 other random dudes. I incorrectly assumed they knew what they were doing. There is a feeder about 40 yards from the front door for "camp deer" - just to watch 'em. One night one of the randoms says "man, look at that 8 point, he's a big one year old". I said "you mean that 10 point?" which was a 3.5 yr old. 5 minutes of watching this buck he finally admits "oh, ha! I didn't see those 2 little horns in the front". I just shook my head. So starting then, I now (correctly) refer to brow tines as "little horns in the front".

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          I would gladly be "babysat"

There would be no doubt about what I could and could not shoot

Of course I would be happy to sit in a stand with a camera and take pictures/video if it meant I would get to see some quality deer.

I would love to have a place to take my kids to shoot a couple of does. No surprise that there are not more people willing to offer with all of the bad experiences that go on.
          It just isn't the way we were brought up. I don't mean to knock it, if that is what someone wants to do, have at it. It just isn't for me, I prefer the ole' tried and true going hungry from not getting anything lol But I do love to see those monsters on the gs when ya'll bag em

Comment

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
            It just isn't the way we were brought up. I don't mean to knock it, if that is what someone wants to do, have at it. It just isn't for me, I prefer the ole' tried and true going hungry from not getting anything lol But I do love to see those monsters on the gs when ya'll bag em
            I look at it this way. If I am a guest and hunting somebody else's lease, then I by no means would feel insulted if I had to have somebody in the blind with me for a couple of sits. I would expect that over time I should be able to earn thier trust. I'm a relatively new hunter so I guess I have not developed any sense of pride yet about my abilities.

Comment

Bump....

Comment

I had an experience that wasn't so bad as funny. I got invited to my wife's families place in Fowlerton. The rule there is 5.5 years or older 150 class or bigger, or culls and does. They change how many of what can be killed from year to year but pretty cool just to see nice bucks. The first few days I was so nervous to mess up I didn't load my gun. Then the last hunt the guy that leased the whole place asked if he could sit with me. I just started smiling and said heck yeah... He said why are you so happy? I said heck I haven't loaded my rifle all weekend just so I wouldn't mess up. With you in the stand I know for sure what I can and can't kill. I was picked on a little for that, but I seen it as better safe then sorry. I like the idea of being able to hunt for big deer on a place I don't have to pay for.

Comment

When I hear about mistakes I always think about this thread...

Comment

It takes a long time before someone gets out by themselves on one of my places.

Even then they have specific deer they are allowed to kill... with no "on the fly" options.

It's the only way to have big deer.

Comment

We have a family member that consistently shoots buck fawns as does. If he texts he's shot more that 1 doe, at least one of them will be a buck fawn.

Comment

The only mistake i have been a part of resulted from me letting a hunter sit by himself.
                        I had sat with him in the morning when the target 135" 9 point showed and stayed around for a pretty good while but didn't present a shot.
                        Knowing that the hunter could identify the buck, that evening I sat another stand. The 9point came back in that evening presenting multiple shot opportunities.
                        Paul Godsey with Double G was the hunter and never took the shot because he wasn't 100% sure it was the same buck.
                        So, my not sitting that stand cost Paul a good management buck. I certainly would not have any problem taking Paul again though.

Comment

Bil

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                          I'm going to hunt with you Cody. Can you set me up in one of your blinds? I promise to be just like your BIL!!!!!
                          Thank god that was not on our current lease. I would have been told to walk. Great lesson learned on a sub-par ranch

Comment

I know a guy who will, year after year, pass bucks until the end of the year or till he starts talking about wanting to make some sausage. Then the first deer that walks out better be running cause it is going to be shot, especially a buck. I don't know how many little 2.5 year old bucks he has shot. He always says it has a big body. I have talked to him about shooting the spike or 5 pt or under instead of the 8 pt but he will shoot the 8 pt every time. I have tried and tried to teach him how to age our deer but it just doesn't work. I love the guy and at his age (the land owner says he can shoot whatever he wants). He says he wants one to put on the wall but he will not hunt hard enough to accomplish that without pure blind luck (out late in the morning and in well before dark). It is frustrating to say the least.

Comment

We have a few guys that come to our place regularly. The first three years, myself or someone else always hunted with them. But as time went on and we felt we were able to trust them, we now drop them off and let them sit on their own. They completely understood and were more than ok with it. And they actually appreciated it because they weren't used to aging and judging hill country deer the first few years they were there. But everyone and every situation is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                                When I hear about mistakes I always think about this thread...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=113141
                                Anybody know how this turned out? Did the guy get prosecuted?

Comment

Working...
                                X