No announcement yet.

New Hagerman draw procedure in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD has completely ****ed the draw system. You can forget bout this hunt ever being the same again. TPWD cares more about getting hunters $$$ than managing any wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      Well that sux, there goes my 2 points and hopes of being drawn again.
      Originally posted by WCB View Post
      At my age I'll never get in again...
      Originally posted by grizzman View Post
      I know that feeling.
      Don't fret fellers. Yall are welcome to sit on my porch with this old dog anytime. And watch the young pups run-n-play. Heck, I might even break out a special bottle for the water bowl. Then we can howl about "howl" it used to be.

(I could even put the "water bowl" on that little wooden table of mine)

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
        2018 Regulations and Information

*NEW THIS YEAR: You are not required to have completed a bowhunter education (BHE) course to be eligible to apply, however you MUST have completed a BHE course before you will be allowed to hunt. Your BHE card must be shown at hunter check-in.

I hope the bowhunter education course goes. For a bowhunter living in southeast Texas it is almost impossible to complete the hands on portion of the course. Nobody in the Beaumont area gives the hands on portion. My only option is to drive five hours to take the class and reserve a hotel. This also means I would have to take a week of vacation to guarentee that I'm off.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          I hope the bowhunter education course goes. For a bowhunter living in southeast Texas it is almost impossible to complete the hands on portion of the course. Nobody in the Beaumont area gives the hands on portion. My only option is to drive five hours to take the class and reserve a hotel. This also means I would have to take a week of vacation to guarentee that I'm off.
          If the BH ed requirement goes, the "H" will really be ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
            At my age I'll never get in again...
            x2 the party is over,it's been fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              If the BH ed requirement goes, the "H" will really be ruined.
              How did you draw this conclusion??? A bowhunter education class does not make a great draw hunt. Hagerman is no doubt a great opportunity for the average bowhunter to kill a trophy of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                "offer hunting opportunities to a larger audience."

IE Out of state applicants
                Heck I am an out of state applicant that probably lives closer than 80% of everyone that applies there from Texas.

Comment

How did you draw this conclusion??? A bowhunter education class does not make a great draw hunt. Hagerman is no doubt a great opportunity for the average bowhunter to kill a trophy of a lifetime.
                  The bowhunter ed and paper applications keep the casual hunter out of the pool. If the app goes to the TPWD draw and they remove the BH ed requirement, everyone will apply because of the H reputation. A bunch of guys who don't have a clue will draw and shoot small deer, wound deer, only hunt 1 day etc. I ould argue that generally speaking, those with BH ed are better hunters and better at shooting bows. I can absolutely see a couple guys out there who draw because they've heard of the H and big deer go out and do something stupid and cause backlash from all the birdwatchers and antis that frequent the refuge. I would argue that the chances of that happening are much higher with a draw pool composed of anyone with a license as opposed to only the guys who care enough to take a course and send in a paper app and go shoot a proficiency test.

This isn't to say only the guys who have BH ed are legit bowhunters, or that everyone with BH ed is a legit bowhunter, or that you aren't a legit bowhunter without hunters ed. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who can out shoot and out hunt me that don't have BH ed for a number of reasons.

It just means it limits the pool to those who are obviously committed to the activity because they sought out and took a course for the sole reason of hunting a great place.

It basically boils down to the guys who take the course and shoot the proficiency course have obviously shown they care enough about this incredible hunt to put in the effort.

Comment

Maybe now I'll finally apply for the H.

Comment

Yep It's going downhill just like Laguna. We went every year for about 12 years straight. Not any more. You're gonna have about 2000 applicants

Comment

Well this sucks. For those blaming TPWD it’s not their fault. The NWRs are choosing to use the online system, nobody forces them.

Comment

This is TRUTH

The bowhunter ed and paper applications keep the casual hunter out of the pool. If the app goes to the TPWD draw and they remove the BH ed requirement, everyone will apply because of the H reputation. A bunch of guys who don't have a clue will draw and shoot small deer, wound deer, only hunt 1 day etc. I ould argue that generally speaking, those with BH ed are better hunters and better at shooting bows. I can absolutely see a couple guys out there who draw because they've heard of the H and big deer go out and do something stupid and cause backlash from all the birdwatchers and antis that frequent the refuge. I would argue that the chances of that happening are much higher with a draw pool composed of anyone with a license as opposed to only the guys who care enough to take a course and send in a paper app and go shoot a proficiency test.

This isn't to say only the guys who have BH ed are legit bowhunters, or that everyone with BH ed is a legit bowhunter, or that you aren't a legit bowhunter without hunters ed. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who can out shoot and out hunt me that don't have BH ed for a number of reasons.

It just means it limits the pool to those who are obviously committed to the activity because they sought out and took a course for the sole reason of hunting a great place.

It basically boils down to the guys who take the course and shoot the proficiency course have obviously shown they care enough about this incredible hunt to put in the effort.
                          I AGREE 100% (The NWR systems will learn this after a while, considering the success rate over all, it actually does not benefit the Federal Wildlife & Fisheries/TPWD/ or H to introduce new, inexperienced applicants. If they want to achieve their goals, they'd stick with the program, of experienced bow hunters, whom put form the efforts, take the time to accomplish the requirements to apply and put forth a steadfast amount of time to harvest the game). This isn't about what's legitimate and justifiable, its about dollars. Its about, how can we make more money?

As a never applied and never hunted, first time caller , first time applicant....I already foresee where this is going and I wholeheartedly feel for the guys whom have been associated and long looking forward to their chance at the H. I experienced what it was like with the previous crowd of long timers at LANWR, and empathize with them just after 2 years of it going to the drawn system. I was fortunate to be drawn on the first two years of the drawn system, but am confident, that run of success in being drawn has come to a very real and unlikely future of hunting there again.

Comment

This isn't to say only the guys who have BH ed are legit bowhunters, or that everyone with BH ed is a legit bowhunter, or that you aren't a legit bowhunter

without hunters ed. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who can out shoot and out hunt me that don't have BH ed for a number of reasons.

I'm sorry that you think taking an online class and then going out and shoot ing paper targets or three D targets make you a better hunter. I've seen guys who could shoot the bulls eye out of a paper target. But when he tried pulling back on a real wild animal he would get so excited he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I've been bow hunting since I was 14 years old compatiancies are learned with practice and real world experiences . And even then some bowhunters will never be great bowhunters. This thinking is like saying that a doctor with a deplorable from the university of Jamaca makes him a better doctor just because he has a deplomia and paid them a large sum of money to receive said deplomia .
                            We will lose a lot Hag has always run a quality place to bowhunt. As others have said we will have to wait a see what changes when TPWD makes when they takemover in 2019.
                            Restating what I first said if the shooting portion of the test was given in all parts of Texas I would have no problem taking this class, I just can't afford to run half way across Texas to complete the hands on portion of the test.
                            Last edited by T-roy66; 03-19-2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry that you think taking an online class and then going out and shoot ing paper targets or three D targets make you a better hunter. I've seen guys who could shoot the bulls eye out of a paper target. But when he tried pulling back on a real wild animal he would get so excited he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I've been bow hunting since I was 14 years old compatiancies are learned with practice and real world experiences . And even then some bowhunters will never be great bowhunters. This thinking is like saying that a doctor with a deplorable from the university of Jamaca makes him a better doctor just because he has a deplomia and paid them a large sum of money to receive said deplomia .
                              We will lose a lot Hag has always run a quality place to bowhunt. As others have said we will have to wait a see what changes when TPWD makes when they takemover in 2019.
                              Restating what I first said if the shooting portion of the test was given in all parts of Texas I would have no problem taking this class, I just can't afford to run half way across Texas to complete the hands on portion of the test.

I think you missed the part where i said having BH ed doesn't automatically make you a better hunter/archer and that not having the class means you aren't a good hunter/archer

It just means the casual guys who don't care enough to take a course or shoot the qualifier are excluded. And that makes the hunt better for a variety of reasons I've already mentioned.

And, generally speaking, a doctor with a diploma from ANYWHERE is GENERALLY better than a doctor without one
                              Last edited by JustinJ; 03-19-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Same thing happened to the SHNF postcard doe draw. You had to physically fill out a postcard to get a doe permit. It was great and I got drawn for years. Now it TPWD draw system and i have not drawn in 3 years. You folks who have hunted the H are in for a 10 fold increase in applications.

It is the way of the future "we need more" according to the state.

I wish if the H requires Bowhunter Ed then all drawn hunts should require it. It would immediately narrow down the guys sitting behind their computer just putting in to put in. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X