keep heifers or buy cows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep heifers or buy cows

just looking for advice is it better to keep heifers and wait 21/2 years to get calves or sell them and buy bred cows. got a new lease and need around 25 more cows to get it stocked to where I want it.

Sell and buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As cheap as cows are right now it would be hard not to sell and buy bred cows

Comment

If your just having cattle for the sake of having cattle and a small herd sell and buy, but if you have a solid bull with a quality bloodline and chasing money for the long run be picky of what you buy.

We spent a small fortune on a Pedigreed English Hereford Bull over 30 years ago and started small with a few Pedigreed Cows and grew slowly over the years adding 2 more Bulls from similar lines. When the family made the choice to sell the herd and get out of the cattle business we had over 350 cattle but our investment in quality over quantity paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
          Sell and buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Agreed.

Comment

Keep heifers

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
              As cheap as cows are right now it would be hard not to sell and buy bred cows
              This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Remember you gotta feed them this winter.

Comment

thanks I am leaning on selling and buying I only have a 5 year lease on this place and feel like 50 head would stock it to where I would want to be on it. I run 40 head at the house place and could quickly get 25 heifers to put on it but its a long wait on getting a return on them. no looking to have a full blood operation just a good cow calf operation on it

Comment

You could just get stockers, too. Buy 4-5 weights, sell in mid February when the cyclical prices are the highest or sell in mid-late May through June when they are the second highest but easier to time the market. The February high usually lasts 2-3 weeks.

Comment

I don't know if the fences are good enough to drop stockers in I better stay wit the cow calf deal

Comment

For what you are trying to accomplish...........buy bred commercial type cows! Put good bulls on them, and they will make a mediocre cow shine. With 50 cows your gonna need 2 bulls as well, but i'm sure you know that.

Comment

hadn't really thought to much about getting another bull but you are right I have a angus on the 25 head that I have on the place now I better plan on getting another angus bull I need a 15 or 16 month bull that's just getting ready to service .

Comment

I've done both. I kept a set of 10 heifers once and it was a long time to wait for calves to sell. Plus a few were really late breeding back. They turned out to be good cows but I would of been better off buying bred cows I think.

Comment

I would buy pairs. You'll get a return on the cows in 4-5 months. Then you could wean the calves before you have to hay. Doesn't take much to winter a bred stocker cow in the winter.

Comment

Buy bred cows now with the prices down and sell heifers when prices go back up, if you got the acreage/cash flow.

Comment

Working...
                              X