New sod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sod question

I just put down a bunch of San Augustine sod. I've been watering it really good almost everyday. How long should I wait before driving a zero turn on it? I mowed the rest of the property yesterday but didnt touch those areas. It's been down about 6 days.

Wait about 3 weeks

Comment

If it were me I would wait until it has caught hold. New grass is stressed enough without adding to that stress. Mine has been down for about 6 weeks and I am only push mower to a while. I too have ZTR but not ready yet. That's just me though.

Comment

If I wait several weeks, will it hurt to knock down the tall spots with the weedeater? I don't even own a push mower. I figured I'd have to wait a bit before driving a mower on it but hate letting it get too tall. I wasn't sure how long it takes to take root. I know it has grown a bit just in 6 days.

Comment

Did you fertilize before putting down the sod? I put down 42 pallets last year and waited about 12 days but mowed it slow on the highest setting the first 2 months. If your soil was broken up and you fertilized, it should be good in 10-15 days

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
            Did you fertilize before putting down the sod? I put down 42 pallets last year and waited about 12 days but mowed it slow on the highest setting the first 2 months. If your soil was broken up and you fertilized, it should be good in 10-15 days
            I didn't fertilize but the ground is pretty fertile in that area. The ground was fairly broken up with no other vegetation under the new sod.

Comment

Landscape contractors tell the builders and home owners to wait 3 weeks and then use a push mower raised up to knock down the high spots.

Comment

Zero turn? few months

Comment

I always wait until you can't pull the sod up with your hands and you have backed off of the water enough to drive a mower on it without making ruts.

Comment

I'd wait a solid month and when you mow, dont do a zero turn on it. Only drive straight across it

Comment

Working...
                    X