No announcement yet.

felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is true about checking the felony square in the form the deal outomatically stops ! as far as you buying a firearm for a felon is considered a straw deal which is punishable up to 10 years so please don't consider that option.

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
      What I am saying is...how many have guns and never get caught....? What do they have to do to get caught with them?

Seems like a law that is hard to enforce....
      Not for someone like me. Say I decide I'm going to hunt with a .270 instead of my ML. Running late getting to the lease, I get pulled over for speeding, LEO notices a guncase in the back of the truck, Runs my license and finds out I'm a convicted felon, asks to search the gun case. even if I say no he has probable cause to get a warrent. I go back to prison for felon in possesion.

NOT ME! Just not worth it. Why risk what that would do to my family? I'll hunt with a bow or a ML.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
        Not for someone like me. Say I decide I'm going to hunt with a .270 instead of my ML. Running late getting to the lease, I get pulled over for speeding, LEO notices a guncase in the back of the truck, Runs my license and finds out I'm a convicted felon, asks to search the gun case. even if I say no he has probable cause to get a warrent. I go back to prison for felon in possesion.

NOT ME! Just not worth it. Why risk what that would do to my family? I'll hunt with a bow or a ML.
        I see. I understand completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I have to say I really feel sorry for his son as he too will not be able to 'own' a rifle while he is living with his dad.
          My wife owns several firearms. she didn't lose her 2nd amendment rights when I lost mine. Also, a felon may be in possesion of a firearm in Texas 5 years after he gets off parole as long as he never leaves his premesis with the firearm. Read the statute posted above. It spells it out clearly.

Comment

Learn something new everyday. I didn't know a convicted felon could hunt with a bow....

Comment

I thought convicted felons could not purchase a hunting license ?

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                I thought convicted felons could not purchase a hunting license ?
                I was thinking the same.....

Comment

My felony conviction was almost 30 years ago. I have been hunting from the time I got off parole almost 25 years ago. Oh, WITH a license!

Comment

What is the process to getting your rights restored?

Comment

Yes they can purchase a hunting license no law against that

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                        Pardon from the Gov.
                        Have your records sealed
                        have it expunged

after that I still think it has to be approved through the ATF

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                          My wife owns several firearms. she didn't lose her 2nd amendment rights when I lost mine. Also, a felon may be in possesion of a firearm in Texas 5 years after he gets off parole as long as he never leaves his premesis with the firearm. Read the statute posted above. It spells it out clearly.
                          This is only half true. Yes Texas law states a felon can own a fire arm after he or she has served their Tina and been off probation or parole for five years. However federal law trumps state law and federal law states a felon can never own a firearm unless it is as previously stated a curio or replica I have done alot of research on this topic as I am a convinced felon (I was 18 and stupid ) and love to hunt. Unless you can afford the lawyer and go through all the bs of getting a pardon your pretty much screwed. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            I have looked into that some. It is a matter of getting all of your past files closed, or being issued a pardon. Most judges don't want to do it. I don't blame them, they are politicians and rely on votes. If the general public hears about a judge "clearing" a felon and then the felon screws up again...well, it could end a political career.
                            My wife works for an attorney that would take on my case for free. It would take a lot of hours on his part to even TRY to get my case files closed. Its just not worth putting him through all that. And I also feel like I'm dealing with my just rewards. I earned my felony conviction and I can darn sure live with the consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by kermittxhunter View Post
                              This is only half true. Yes Texas law states a felon can own a fire arm after he or she has served their Tina and been off probation or parole for five years. However federal law trumps state law and federal law states a felon can never own a firearm unless it is as previously stated a curio or replica I have done alot of research on this topic as I am a convinced felon (I was 18 and stupid ) and love to hunt. Unless you can afford the lawyer and go through all the bs of getting a pardon your pretty much screwed. Hope this helps
                              And thats why I'll stay in Texas and not bring federal attention to myself. For the record I don't own any guns other than a couple of MLs.

Comment

Well Im glad for you Txjourneyman that you can still hunt ! there is alot I don't know about Texas laws

Comment

Working...
                                X