High FOC Arrow Build ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    We’ll crap. I just ordered some 350 spined VAP TKO Gamers. I may need to file the poundage back to make them work.
    Maybe, maybe not; that's the thing with running higher FOC, as you can see in this thread even, many people get away with using a spine that SHOULD be way too weak. But it works.

Even out of my Prime I can run a .350 spine and I am using a .300 spine right now. Everything says that should be way too weak, but they bareshaft, nock tuned and group tuned like champs. The .350 do as well I just have to play with cam sync a little.

I'm not filly sold on Archer's Advantage yet, maybe it is me, maybe not; but I get very consistent results out of TAP Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
      I think what happened here is you’re running gunnyart’s specs in gclyde’s thread. I thought you were posting arrow specs for gclyde, the OP, who shoots my specs. I don’t see gunnyart’s specs in this thread unless I just overlooked them somewhere.

I’ve been curious to try TAP. I like AA, but sometimes it does weird stuff that gets on my nerves. I’ve put in exactly the same setup twice and gotten very different results. Fortunately, I’ve done this enough to know that the first result wasn’t right.

D
      I see. The only place Gunnyart's are posted is in the AA image of his bow's spec's.

Tap Pro has been great for many years, but he still hasn't updated the database for 2018 yet, so I am looking around for another one. I hope the platform will be supported for a long time, but just in case I'm trying others again.

I guess OT2 is next...

Comment

I checked my peak again and got 60# and I wouldn’t mind dropping down another 5 to make it work if needed.

Comment

Black Eagle Carnivores .250 cut to 27 3/4" carbon to carbon with 150 grains rear insert weights, regular insert, Blazers and 125 grain point. 19+ % FOC at 595 grains. I shoot a 29" draw @70#'s.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
            I see. The only place Gunnyart's are posted is in the AA image of his bow's spec's.

Tap Pro has been great for many years, but he still hasn't updated the database for 2018 yet, so I am looking around for another one. I hope the platform will be supported for a long time, but just in case I'm trying others again.

I guess OT2 is next...

Would you mind running my set up.

I have zero issues with my current set up but its interesting for sure

Arrow Da Torch 400 7.2 GPI shaft is 27.5 6 mm RPS insert press in 6 mm nock Running Slick trick 4 blade 100 grain .

Bow Hoyt carbon fiber SPYDER shooting 63 lbs I do not recall what the chrono read sorry .

As far as the setup goes its lights out accurate and last deer was a big mule deer in Co at 48 yards . pass through and it had the arrow buried in the berm behind the deer another 10 yards about 6 inches into the dirt .

however if it can be better all for that . maybe a broad head weight change .. I like the arrows and they are pricey WHeww

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	712F2994-8FF6-4758-B48E-49F25613B271.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	24543712
              Step one arrived yesterday. They sure is purdy.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                Would you mind running my set up.

I have zero issues with my current set up but its interesting for sure

Arrow Da Torch 400 7.2 GPI shaft is 27.5 6 mm RPS insert press in 6 mm nock Running Slick trick 4 blade 100 grain .

Bow Hoyt carbon fiber SPYDER shooting 63 lbs I do not recall what the chrono read sorry .

As far as the setup goes its lights out accurate and last deer was a big mule deer in Co at 48 yards . pass through and it had the arrow buried in the berm behind the deer another 10 yards about 6 inches into the dirt .

however if it can be better all for that . maybe a broad head weight change .. I like the arrows and they are pricey WHeww
                What vanes and what draw length on the bow? What Carbon Spyder; Turbo, 30 or 34?

What are you looking for, just options? I don't think you will have many with .400 arrows and it sound like they are performing well.

I will show you what you have now and then mock up one or two for you to consider.
                Last edited by Rat; 06-30-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

28 inch draw vanes are easton blazers 3 of them I cam up with like 12 % but not sure I am doing it correctly .

Options to improve upon the set up is never a bad thing .. And hunting elk again this year so it if can get better I am all for it .

yes currently its doing great but until you try the next thing you cannot compare the two .

in my world its about dyno tuning guys say it runs great then they have me tune it and well they know what great really is .. Not patting myself on the back 25 years doing this so I get the comparison deal

Comment

What about going with the full valkyrie system, use the brass insert for an extra 75 grains along with a 250 gram head and your pretty close if my numbers are right.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      28 inch draw vanes are easton blazers 3 of them I cam up with like 12 % but not sure I am doing it correctly .

Options to improve upon the set up is never a bad thing .. And hunting elk again this year so it if can get better I am all for it .

yes currently its doing great but until you try the next thing you cannot compare the two .

in my world its about dyno tuning guys say it runs great then they have me tune it and well they know what great really is .. Not patting myself on the back 25 years doing this so I get the comparison deal
                      I'm going to start a thread for you HDWrench, post will up shortly.

Comment

Got my test kit in from Valkyrie Archery. You send them your bow specs and they send out two different spine arrows and 3 field tip weights.

Bow specs for the testing were as follows:

Halon 32 with 7" Brace Height
                        85% Mods
                        30" Draw Length
                        Limbs cranked all the way down have draw weight pulling at 67.5 lbs.

They sent me a 300 spine arrow and a 250 spine arrow, both with 22 grain outserts and then included a 200, 225, and 250 grain tips. Total arrow length from base of knock to tip of outsert is 29-5/8". Both arrows were fletched with 4 aae pro max vanes and had standard nocks

Arrow weights without tips, the 300 spine arrow was 284 grains and the 250 spine arrow was 320 grains. I did not verify these weights but these were the numbers written in sharpie on the shaft from Valkyrie.

I shot the different combos a bunch the past couple days but only out to 30 yards. Haven't gotten to stretch them out at distance or run any arrows through a chrono just yet to see how the speeds plays out but I liked the feel of the 250 spine with the 250 grain head which should come in at 570 grains. This combination had an FOC of 21.72% and paper tuned nicely.

Hopefully I can make it up to Archery Country this week sometime to run this combo through the chronograph and see where we actually are sitting but initially I didnt see a noticeable difference in arrow drop from 20-30 yards between this new heavy high FOC setup and my previous Easton fmjs with standard inserts and 100 grain tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                          Got my test kit in from Valkyrie Archery. You send them your bow specs and they send out two different spine arrows and 3 field tip weights.

85% Mods
                          30" Draw Length

They sent me a 300 spine arrow and a 250 spine arrow, both with 22 grain outserts and then included a 200, 225, and 250 grain tips. Total arrow length from base of knock to tip of outsert is 29-5/8". Both arrows were fletched with 4 aae pro max vanes and had standard nocks

Arrow weights without tips, the 300 spine arrow was 284 grains and the 250 spine arrow was 320 grains. I did not verify these weights but these were the numbers written in sharpie on the shaft from Valkyrie.

I shot the different combos a bunch the past couple days but only out to 30 yards. Haven't gotten to stretch them out at distance or run any arrows through a chrono just yet to see how the speeds plays out but I liked the feel of the 250 spine with the 250 grain head which should come in at 570 grains. This combination had an FOC of 21.72% and paper tuned nicely.

Hopefully I can make it up to Archery Country this week sometime to run this combo through the chronograph and see where we actually are sitting but initially I didnt see a noticeable difference in arrow drop from 20-30 yards between this new heavy high FOC setup and my previous Easton fmjs with standard inserts and 100 grain tips.
                          Sounds like you are on the right track. Please keep me updated so I can compare the three archery programs to what works best for you. I keep a database of these things so I can see what happens in the real world versus what happens in ballistic programs.

That thing is going to be a killer for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

85% Mods
                            30" Draw Length

Sounds like a cool experiment, look forward to hearing the results.

For the speed test, I’d suggest you shoot at long distances and see how much more the heavier arrows drop in addition to looking at chrono numbers. I find that to be a little more helpful/meaningful as long as I know my setup is in a generally acceptable range.

Those sound like pretty lightweight arrows, you might shoot them at something hard too and make sure they aren’t going to break on a hard impact (shoulder bone).

D

Comment

Step two. Just need the nocks and then it’s off to the bow shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	6ACAC0CE-5324-4AF2-84D9-566C9B08A833.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	24543831

Comment

Looking good. As long as my test arrow isn't flying incredibly slow, I think I'm going to go with the all stainless and cut down the pin to match the weight of my test arrow with a 125 grain head that way I will have a larger selection of broadheads should I want to switch. I think I'm going to order some Iron Will 125's to try out first after I finish getting the arrows built.

Comment

Working...
                                X