2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
    They are most likely after aphids. Can blast them off with water pressure.

My cantaloupe is getting after it! Thanks to the TBHr that recommended this variety,
    Just hoping they taste as good as they look.

I've never tried cantaloupes until this year and don't remember what variety they are. What variety of cantaloupe are these??
    Just when mine started spreading and blooming good they started turning yellow and I haven't found a single fruit on the vines yet. I really think they are getting to much water. We have been pretty fortunate with the timely rain showers. I haven't had to water my garden yet.

BTW... everything else has done great this year!

Comment

Sugar queen. Purchased from willhite seed company.
      I'm going to be overloaded for sure.

Comment

The garden has been beat to pieces this year. The onions have been an almost complete failure, the cucumbers are about to finish up, the tomatoes don't look too great but keep on producing, the carrots are really slowing down, and the sunflowers are blooming like mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled our first 3 cantaloupes last night. Peeled 'em and they are SO SWEET!! Purple Hull peas are coming in now pretty good. Wife planted in two plantings about 2 1/2 weeks apart, but the second planting is about to catch up... They are doing some serious blooming now.

Last night we were fortunate enough not to get blasted by the storm (TS Cindy). So far, looks like we just got a good rain on the garden... That should finish off making the peas and the corn...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6808.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	24499158

We're beginning to have okra runnin' out our ears! What do y'all do with okra besides pickling it?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Pulled our first 3 cantaloupes last night. Peeled 'em and they are SO SWEET!! Purple Hull peas are coming in now pretty good. Wife planted in two plantings about 2 1/2 weeks apart, but the second planting is about to catch up... They are doing some serious blooming now.

Last night we were fortunate enough not to get blasted by the storm (TS Cindy). So far, looks like we just got a good rain on the garden... That should finish off making the peas and the corn...

[ATTACH]859491[/ATTACH]

We're beginning to have okra runnin' out our ears! What do y'all do with okra besides pickling it?
            You can dehydrate them and they are pretty good snacks!

Comment

Charlie, vacuum pack the oakera and freeze it for later. Just like store bought frozen cept you know where and how it was grown.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Heck, now that I've had time to think about it, slice it up, batter it up, then vacuum pack in portions. Then freeze it. And ya got fried okrey ready for the hot oil.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

I'm not sure what do to. These tomato plants are going nuts and I can't get to my peppers and other stuff I have growing in there. This is a 4'x4' raised bed. 3 or 4 tomato plants. Rats or birds are picking off all my peppers before I can get to them. Trying to trap rats and have killed a couple so far. What the heck should I do?

I pulled a bunch of green tomatoes and have been letting them ripen inside.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post

I'm not sure what do to. These tomato plants are going nuts and I can't get to my peppers and other stuff I have growing in there. This is a 4'x4' raised bed. 3 or 4 tomato plants. Rats or birds are picking off all my peppers before I can get to them. Trying to trap rats and have killed a couple so far. What the heck should I do?

I pulled a bunch of green tomatoes and have been letting them ripen inside.

For me..it's easy.
                      I love tomatoes. Peppers are cheap at the store.

Reach in there and pick the peppers. Leave the tomatoes on the vine until they show a hint of color, then pick them.

When tomatoes die off, your peppers will come on.

Comment

I figg'r we'll be pullin corn by the end of the week!! Can't wait to have me some roast'n ears! We're gettin' about 6 gallons of okra every 3 days now... mater's are about done. Eggplants are goin' nuts too... can't wait for some fried eggplant!!

It appears that my attempts to salvage the squash and zucchini plants was a success. They're all putting on new growth and new blooms.

Gonna let the cukes go. They've about quit blooming and we've got all the burpless cukes we need, and have given away probably 20 gallons...

Gettin' about a half bushel of purple hull peas every other day, and I'm thinking 4th of July will be a big pea pickin' day!

Overall, in spite of WAY too much water and fightin' every garden bug known to man and EXTREMELY healthy and aggressive weeds of all kinds, my wife's garden will have been a screamin' success!! We've got a big chest type freezer that'll be full of goodies when it's all saucered and blow'd. Praise the Lord!

Next year will be even better! Learned so much from this thread, and I'm gonna keep the plot worked and weeds/bugs in check so next spring we can get ahead of all the "pests".

May plant a few fall 'taters n turnip greens too... Won't have time for too much farmer stuff... As Michael says, "fish are bitin' and there's hogs to be kilt" come fall...

Comment

I figg'r we'll be pullin corn by the end of the week!! Can't wait to have me some roast'n ears! We're gettin' about 6 gallons of okra every 3 days now... mater's are about done. Eggplants are goin' nuts too... can't wait for some fried eggplant!!

It appears that my attempts to salvage the squash and zucchini plants was a success. They're all putting on new growth and new blooms.

Gonna let the cukes go. They've about quit blooming and we've got all the burpless cukes we need, and have given away probably 20 gallons...

Gettin' about a half bushel of purple hull peas every other day, and I'm thinking 4th of July will be a big pea pickin' day!

Overall, in spite of WAY too much water and fightin' every garden bug known to man and EXTREMELY healthy and aggressive weeds of all kinds, my wife's garden will have been a screamin' success!! We've got a big chest type freezer that'll be full of goodies when it's all saucered and blow'd. Praise the Lord!

Next year will be even better! Learned so much from this thread, and I'm gonna keep the plot worked and weeds/bugs in check so next spring we can get ahead of all the "pests".

May plant a few fall 'taters n turnip greens too... Won't have time for too much farmer stuff... As Michael says, "fish are bitin' and there's hogs to be kilt" come fall...
                          Thanks for reporting. May have to try that next time around!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                            Thanks for reporting. May have to try that next time around!
                            From what I learned reading and watching you tube videos, the once a year infestation makes 'em manageable. Also, once I learned what to look for regarding the egg deposits, they were pretty easy to spot and remove. I'll probably try some fall squash. According to my research, it seems the borers are most all done by mid to late summer and fall squash don't usually have the problem. Next spring we will plant squash/zucchini in a different part of the garden too... as recommended if you do have an infestation... When the new bugs emerge, the have to attack the new plants from aerial assault and that makes the "tent" covers more effective... It's a learning process, but it's been fun so far... gettin' too dang hot now to be out there much right now!!

Comment

Pulled two more cardboard flats of maters. Purple Cherokee and celebrity doing well.

JalapeƱos producing also.

I can't keep up with my okra. Need to pick it sooner.

Comment

Glad everything is going good!

Comment

Working...
                                X