• Show
Clear All

Looks Good

Comment

Good Job!

Comment

Looks good gentlemen. Nice work!

Comment

Got the tracks and slide out trays in. Just need to add the handles to them.
          Getting closer.

Comment

Move smoke stack to other end put in plates for reverse flow. That makes it a lot less work moving food around on temp. The pit will stay the same temp all the way around, but either way nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
              Move smoke stack to other end put in plates for reverse flow. That makes it a lot less work moving food around on temp. The pit will stay the same temp all the way around, but either way nice work.

For the simplicity of this one, we just kept it the same as it was. But after we finish this one, we’re starting on Alan’s reverse flow.

Comment

Fire box looks good! Those hinges are going to get on your nerves over time though. I have been building them with pipe & cold roll, I don't have problems with them seizing up.

A good way to even out the heat on a pit this long is tuning plates.
                The pit in the picture is 5' long, 20" pipe. With the plates in the right spot, the temp stays even all the way across. It doesn't take much to weld 2 stips of angle iron in there, and then your set.

You might as well put another level of racks too! You have the room.
                Attached Files

Comment

Solid advice on the tuning plates.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Got the shelf with beer holders on. One step closer. We’re fixing to fire her up and slap on a couple slabs of St. Louis ribs [emoji1303]

Comment

Beer holders....nice touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First fire. Pulling some good smoke through there [emoji1303]

Comment

It did a pretty **** good job for its first run. Was able to keep temps within 18* from front to back just by leveling the pit. Still playing around with the baffles try to find the perfect spots.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                              Bought this pit about 10 years ago and used it plenty times, but the firebox and smokestack were way too small.
                              Me and Hoyt Man started the project last Friday and will have it ready by Easter.
                              Here’s the before pic

Cut the back off to square it off to put a 30” pipe firebox with a flat top with a door also on top to cook steaks and such. It’ll be 2 pits in one. [emoji1303]

Put in a heat baffle to control heat going in.

Small pit within a pit

Got rid of the Mickey Mouse smokestack and put in a 6” diameter smokestack that goes down 8” inside.

That’s about as far as we got so far. The firebox ate up a lot of time, but we’re proud of the way it turned out. We still need to build a shelf under the main doors and a wood basket on the backside. Also we’re cutting that wide trailer house tongue down to the width of the rest of the bottom frame. Those pics will follow.

Love the rims. How fast does she go?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryango View Post
                                Love the rims. How fast does she go?

Lol
                                That’s my favorite part of this pit [emoji16]

Comment

Working...
                                X