Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your best trick to remove the gamey taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stins View Post
    First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
    not just that but get to the deer and break it down asap. It's too warm for a deer to stew for too long. Honestly i let my deer sit in ice for a few days draining the water and I've never ever had bad meat.

Comment

Process it yourself, just make sure and take the time to cut the connective tissue off before you package it. I have never had the so called wild taste in the meat. I hear alot of comments about letting it age in a cooler on ice for several days. Alot of people swear by it.

Comment

Obviously a young doe is going to be better than an old buck, just like a hog.

Comment

JPBruni...question here. Are you talking about quarters and no ice or water?

My reasoning here is, I leave the quarters intact and all 4 pieces get the rinse and soak in ice. After several days of the usual drain, ice and age routine the 4 quarters are then pulled and the processing begins. The silver lining surrounding the shoulders and hams shield the meat from water intrusion and I simply cut away any white areas and simply focus on red.

Water can only penetrate so far into the meat and quarters, left as is with membrane shield are pretty secure from water intrusion. I agree, if I mix water into the meat after I bone and do the other work...it's an issue.

I towel each quarter down when pulled from ice till they are simply cool and then start the butchering necessary to finish the job.

Straps, tenders and any trim meat that is cut away during the field to age stage (exposed meat) gets placed in plastic bags only to seperate the water from the meat but once I'm home, it comes off ice and out of the bag and into the fridge. I don't like exposed meat in a blood soak.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Gamey? What's that? I think I like the gamey taste...I'm weird though.

Comment

...not to mention the water allows a trash bag to stick to the meat when fronzen. No air = no freezer burn for up to a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                Gamey? What's that? I think I like the gamey taste...I'm weird though.
                Tell us something we don't already know junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  Tell us something we don't already know junior.
                  You can't lick your elbow...however you can kiss my ***...haha

Comment

Go buy a bag of Mortons Quick Tender. Soak overnight 1 tbs per pound.

There are a lot of things that will affect taste as mentioned above, but one you can't control is their diet. I've dress some in west Texas that had a bad strong odor from the start. None of the east Texas deer have smelled as bad as a few of the West Texas ones. Same with quail. My guess it is the wild sage, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                      I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.
                      That's what I do . Works great .

Comment

[QUOTE=Indianhunter;931518]if you are doing it yourself make sure you let it age in the cooler on ice or walk in cooler for about 4 or 5 days. QUOTE]

Cooler or emptied out refrigerator prefferably.

If you go the ice chest route, don't let it float around in water for any length of time.

Comment

When leaving in the cooler, I don't have the plug in the cooler so it is not soaking in water. I have an older work fridge in the garage that I switch the meat to when I get home.

Comment

I know this person that says they know a person that can clean an entire deer without getting ONE hair on it. I call b/s. Any TBHers that have these skills?

Comment

I know this person that says they know a person that can clean an entire deer without getting ONE hair on it. I call b/s. Any TBHers that have these skills?
                              Perhaps with a pear burner, but Lord, can you imagine the smell?

Comment

You can get pretty close by making all cuts under the skin and in the direction of the hair growth. You get a lot of hair when cutting around the knee joints. Now, I just peel the skin back and cut off the bone at the joint and it really helps keep the hair down.

I saw a drastic improvement to the quality of my meat once I started quartering and putting on ice for 3-5 days before processing. I put my meat in big trash bags and cover with ice with the drain open. Works great for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X