What can an previous employer tell a potential employer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
    You might want to check the legality of that to protect yourself.
    Sorry, but it's the truth, period.

Comment

Originally posted by NewTexian View Post
      Dates of employememt, starting and ending wages, starting and ending job titles.
      ^^^^This is ALL you can say these days. You say ANYTHING else a lawsuit could be headed your way. That IS the law.

Our HR department made this VERY clear to managers several years ago. Even showed us the laws written.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Sorry, but it's the truth, period.
        I understand where you are coming from Ironman but it could get you in a hot mess. I'm all for telling the truth but if it ever got back to them you would be in a mess. It's just not worth it if you ask me. just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pickles View Post
          ^^^^This is ALL you can say these days. You say ANYTHING else a lawsuit could be headed your way. That IS the law.

Our HR department made this VERY clear to managers several years ago. Even showed us the laws written.
          Very true but man would I like to let some people know what they are getting into sometimes!

Comment

Then lawyer up! If someone in my company is a danger to other people on a job site, the future employer will be made aware! I'm not going to live with it not being known. I too have my legal obligations.
            Last edited by Ironman; 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Had to let a guy go several yrs ago for many reasons. He put me down as a refernece several times. I was told by corp legal all we could say was wether he had been employed by us and if we would hire him back. Only thing I could say was yes he worked there and that at this time we didn't have any opportunities available for employment.

It may not be what they are saying but how it is worded.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                I do not know the law but I always thought they could only say if you worked there, how much you made and if you were eligible for re-hire.
                Have him contact the labor board, EEOC or maybe a labor lawyer...
                X2 my company policy is no personal info or reference or referral like above yes they worked here and that's about it

Comment

Defamation , libel google it. contact a lawyer. Is it a large wealthy company saying this about him? If so and he can prove it could be good for him

Comment

backspace backspace

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Wow......

Comment

That's a myth. In Texas An employer can legally say anything about the employee as long as its true. He was late all the time, poor employee reviews.

Its Generally not prudent as it exposes you to potential issues.

Comment

I really didn't think they called your references anyway. I have only hired a handful of people but never called

Comment

Ya I do not think it is against the law not to give out info.(not 100% sure). My company has a policy not to give out info. If you don't get the job because of us we do not want you to come back and sue.
                            Now that you know what could be keeping you from getting a job, tell the future employer first, explain yourself. This will go along way. If I call and get "blindsided" by some info that you did not tell me, I might move on to the next one.

Comment

I have a feeling there is more to the story. If not, lawyer up.

Comment

I got lost in all the replys, but .... "What can an emplyrer tell a precocious employer?) Legally, not a whole lot .... practically? Anything they want to and think they can get away with. What can they get away with? As much as you think it's worth to argue over. What would I do. Doesn't compute, don't want or need an employer. What should ou do? Aint got a clue. Do what you think yo need to do.

Hope I got all this relevant and aimed int eh propper direction

Comment

Working...
                                X