Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm confused about Youth Hunting License.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm confused about Youth Hunting License.

My new hunting buddy, with parents permission, is 12.
    We're hunting depredating feral hogs with landowner consent.
    According to Texas Outdoor Annual under the license section it says license not needed. At the bottom of the page it says note. All Hunter Education laws still apply.
    So here's my dilemma.
    He doesn't need a license.
    Does he need Hunter Education to get a license.

Under Hunter Education requirements is say 9-16 must successfully complete OR be accompanied.

So I'm reading this as he CAN harvest pigs without a license or Hunters education...

These are screen shots from the Outdoor Annual App

Let me know if you can't read them. They're red. Forgot to turn Twilight off before taking screen shot.
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM.

I would just pay the $6 or $7 for the youth license and not worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I would just pay the $6 or $7 for the youth license and not worry about it.
      Yup.

Comment

He does not need a hunters ed to get a license
        Nor does he need a license to hunt hogs

Comment

All the hunters ed is basically is for them to legally hunt on their own without your control. You don't need a license to hunt hogs if they are causing destruction to something

Comment

Exactly what we do, buy the youth license.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
              All the hunters ed is basically is for them to legally hunt on their own without your control. You don't need a license to hunt hogs if they are causing destruction to something
              This is what I understand as well, until youth gets the hunter ed they have to be with a licensed adult.

Also pigs are not game, so no need.

Comment

If hogs are causing damage on your property or you are the designated agent for the landowner you can kill them without a hunting license and leave them laying in the pasture. If you are hunting hogs on someone else's property or intend to use the meat, what are you doing could be interpreted as hunting.
                Just buy a license, don't leave the situation open to interpenetration.
                Last edited by Sika; 10-11-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Depredation and hunting are two very different things.

Acting on the land owners behalf to help them control hogs causing damage you need no license. If you put out corn, bait or anything to draw them in while you are depredating you are then hunting.

During depredation you also collect no meat, you leave them lay or haul them to a gut pile. You collect meat from the depredation you are then hunting.

Buy the license, its cheap insurance.

Comment

[quote=Randy;12813210]Depredation and hunting are two very different things.

Acting on the land owners behalf to help them control hogs causing damage you need no license. If you put out corn, bait or anything to draw them in while you are depredating you are then hunting.

During depredation you also collect no meat, you leave them lay or haul them to a gut pile. You collect meat from the depredation you are then hunting.

Buy the license, its cheap insurance.[/quote

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
                      Also pigs are not game, so no need.

This always makes me laugh.

Tell that to a game warden, bud.

Comment

$7 for a youth license, nothing to worry about. Best $7 ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                          Depredation and hunting are two very different things.

Buy the license, its cheap insurance.
                          You are right on the money
                          I was confused as well apparently

Comment

Comment

Def buy the kid a hunting license, its $7 and usually the kid gets a kick out of being there to sign for their very own hunting license

Comment

Working...
                              X