No announcement yet.

Snakes in Pop-up placed on ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They make'em with floors...I know 2 different peps who have had Rattlers in theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
      No snakes or wasps, but I have a few toads that get in the blind sometimes.
      I can see where a toad frog bouncing off the calf of one's leg in the dark could jump start one's imagination about snakes....and might cause someone to stab themselves in the leg with an arrow...

Comment

kill the odds against you... elevate even if only 2 feet...

Comment

see how fast you can pop out of a goose pit when you find a rattlesnake......

Comment

No snakes yet. I did have to persuade a skunk to leave one of mine last year. It still has plenty of cover scent left.

Comment

Elevated platforms for pop ups (not using anymore), A Krivoman, a fiberglass water tank blind and 2 Mavericks! I hate snakes and ain't taking chances!

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                I had a copper head crawl in. Came in under the chair and between my feet from behind. I beat him and the blind to death with the chair.
                That wasn't enough ! I would have emptied my Shield on him after I beat him to death !

I ain't scared of snakes........as long as they aren't next to me.

Comment

I've had a copperhead poke his head in through the bottom before. Nothing makes you wish you could shoot a bow accurately at 6 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by PineWoodArcher View Post
                    I have been in west tx for awhile now, so far no problems but i am beginning to think the odds are stacking up against me. I built some short elevated stands about 3' off the ground and put plywood with tie downs for the popup. They are a *&^%$ to move when you want another setup, but it feels a little better being off the ground.
                    Originally posted by JES View Post
                    I found a rattle snake in my blind, after the rats took it over. We took a couple pallets for each blind and two sheets of plywood and made a small base, cheap and so far has kept the rats out of the blinds. They are probably under the pallet, but they ain't in the blind so I don't care.
                    Originally posted by Daniel32 View Post
                    I'm always worried about snakes and other creatures coming into my popups so I always build a small stand to place them on. I usually build them 2-3' high with extra materials I have lying around.
                    Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Elevated platforms for pop ups (not using anymore), A Krivoman, a fiberglass water tank blind and 2 Mavericks! I hate snakes and ain't taking chances!
                    What would be a quick easy solution to elevation when hunting public land? Not allowed to use ATVs and try to hunt spots that you cannot drive to because it makes it easy for others to find your spots. This is why I have always set mine on the ground.

Comment

Ameristep makes a blind with a floor that zips in. I put plastic down first then the blind on top of it. Keeps the creatures out. Put some indoor/outdoor carpet in the blind and you are good. Only thing bad about the blind is if it rains it lets water in thru the windows. The blind stays out year round and in Kinney county with the heat it might only last a year. I'm in it from deer season, thru spring turkey season and hunting axis in the summer. I keep a pair of crocs & usb fans in the blind in a plastic ammo box and a sheet of plastic if the floor is wet. It's nice to climb into a popup and take your boots off in the summertime. For axis I'm normally in the blind at least an hour before sunrise so laying on the floor before shooting time helps me to stay in the blind longer into the day (especially with a bad back). Its nice laying on the floor and not wondering if something will come in crawling by your head. Would like to upgrade to a plastic blind but think they will probably be hotter in the summertime.

Comment

Opening day last year. It was making its way into my backpack.

Comment

Never in a soft pop-up

Comment

Put your pop-up on a platform and you won't have to worry about them. I put lag bolts in at the corners and then a few screws in along the side flaps. Then I sandwiched the side flaps between two 1x1's and screwed them to the platform. Nothing bigger than 1mm could get in through the bottom. Piece of mind.....

Comment

You need to talk to M.E.B., he's the expert.....

Comment

Yes, multiple snake encounters over the years.
                                But nothing is quieter than a dirt floor.

Krivo's have a lip that can be sunk below ground to keep snakes out.

Sitting out all year, my Krivo on the ground looks like a haunted house with the spider webs.
                                Last year for end of summer cleanout, I killed 7 Brown Recluse spiders on my plastic chair and milk crate. There was also a black widow on the ground.
                                Had to fumigate.

Comment

Working...
                                X