Pond bummer...or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
    My one of my ponds, about an acre when full, went dry in "the drought" for the first time. Since then I haven't restocked it, instead allowing flatheads to flourish by feeding them. Last week while feeding I noticed all the sudden there were sunfish feeding too. This evening I finally grabbed a flyrod and went to catch some. I was bummed to see they were green sunfish, so up on the bank they went.

I was always taught no greenies in a pond. I went to another pond and caught 4 bass and transferred them to the greenie pond. I just came in and looked iup green sunfish and to my surprise the first article was this in pond boss.

Maybe not so bad after all. What do you all think?

Pete
    I don't know why a Green Sunfish would be a bad thing. Its a native fish. Good eating. Good for the predatory fish. We called them Goggle eyes and I never seen them take over a pond, as a matter of fact, we couldn't catch enough of them.
    Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-11-2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

So where did the flat heads come from?

Comment

Guessing he's talking about fathead minnows?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't get rid of those green sunfish. Very good eatin and really fun to catch on light tackle. Very aggressive and hard fightin fish. Unless you stocked flathead cats in your pond, you have mud cats

Comment

I'm with the others on how the flathead got there, but hey.... Green sunfish or goggle eye as we call them should be great food for the flathead as they prefer live food. And bass will return soon too. Trap the sunfish and use them for trotline bait, there's not much better.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              I read your post as saying...

Your pond went dry. You did not re-stock. Now you are feeding flatheads. If you did NOT re-stock and your pond actually went DRY, you are feeding mudcats.

Correct me if I’m reading your post wrong.

With that being said...we have had multiple tanks with green sunfish. We never saw any negative results.
              ^^this

Comment

OP, you were taught wrong about green sunfish. Enjoy fishing them.

Comment

I always figgered Flatheads would have a hard time living in a dirt tank. They need deep holes and big water. Learn something new on here all the time. Them old sun grannies aint hurting nothing if you got flatheads living in there. Better off with them sun grannies than crappie. Crappie will plumb take over a tank.
                  Last edited by Radar; 07-12-2018, 04:51 AM.

Comment

You have mud cat. They’re delicious.

Comment

Not

Comment

green sunfish...aka "creek perch" are some good river bait for a yella cat.

Comment

OP, How bout you post up some pics of these "flatheads"... I'd be real interested to see a pond raised flathead...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            We call them watering holes[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Just be thankful you got water in something outside of your bathtub. I’ve got a dozer working over my tanks/ponds/ watering holes now cause they’re dry!

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                              Just be thankful you got water in something outside of your bathtub. I’ve got a dozer working over my tanks/ponds/ watering holes now cause they’re dry!
                              X2 on that!!!!

Comment

If
                                Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                                Guessing he's talking about fathead minnows?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                                This is my guess as well. I've been reading a buttload of pond boss lately though so I may be in the wrong frame of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X