Hardwood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardwood floors

I'm getting ready to do something I've never done before. My wife and I have decided that we want hand scraped hardwood floors. So I'm going to take on the project. We are installing them in our living room, study, and master bedroom. The hardest thing about this project is the under cutting of our stone fireplace. I'm going to get started on the stone cutting tonight and I'm just going to take my time. It's going to be a mess and I'm hoping my tent of plastic will keep all of the dust contained. I'll keep this thread updated as we get after it! Wish me luck! [emoji23]

Here are some pics

Here are some pics of the stone I added to our bar. Hoping it turns out as good as that did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck!

Comment

Try a Crain Super Saw kit with a masonry blade. It has a vac attachment.

Comment

Have someone hold a shop vac hose right behind ya while you're cutting

Comment

We used a trim strip where the wood joined the fireplace.

Comment

I wouldn't cut the stone. I would run it super close and put some trim or simply caulk it to match the stone. Interested to see how it works out. If you ever replace the floor, you might be replacing the stone too!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
              We used a trim strip where the wood joined the fireplace.
              Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
              I wouldn't cut the stone. I would run it super close and put some trim or simply caulk it to match the stone. Interested to see how it works out. If you ever replace the floor, you might be replacing the stone too!!!!
              This... that's a lot of extra work.

Comment

I agree and wouldn't undercut the fireplace. I always undercut all door jams etc but use a special caulking around rock.

Comment

You can use a coat hanger or piece of copper wire to template the stone fireplace and transfer the outline to each piece of wood where it joins the fireplace. You will get the perfect fit and then you can seal it with colored sealant and conceal the joint

Comment

Should be quick and easy if you have a jigsaw

Comment

Well we are 99% finished with the living room. Used the grinder to go under the stone and groove out the under side of fireplace. Finishing the reducers tomorrow in the living room then doing the study tomorrow!

And I've found out....I'll never be glueing floors down ever again! Omg I've got that glue all over me.

How'd we do!? First time glueing down floors for any of us.

Comment

Bravo

Comment

Looks good. Floating floor much easier.[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

following.. going to start my remodel oct 1.. let us know how you like that floor.. durability, scratch resistance etc.. thanks and looks awesome brother!

Comment

Working...
                              X