Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned its worth it to just spend the money on good game cameras. Same thing with feeder timers. Had a terrible time with unreliable timers and feeders not going off. Thats the first thing on my list for the off season. Get good timers.

Buy "The Timers" best there is IMO. Browning Cams are pretty good also.

Comment

Late rains in south Texas suck.

Comment

Hunt the nastiest weather.

Comment

That I don't know jack ____ about hunting in Oklahoma and I need to spend more time on properly preparing food plots.

Comment

That your Broadhead don't need to be sharp as long as the pressure x speed {squared} equals enough that they can be half *** dull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't wait on a bigger buck because he probably won't show up. Passed on some I should have run an arrow thru and now scrambling for meat.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                Don't wait on a bigger buck because he probably won't show up. Passed on some I should have run an arrow thru and now scrambling for meat.

That's a never ending story bud. But that's what it takes. [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                  Late rains in south Texas suck.
                  Agreed. Man it has been tough for us this year.

Comment

I need a lease. Got my son out on 3 weekend hunts this year. I'm very thankful and would love to get out even more.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post

That's what they make does for!!!?!!!!!

I've been waiting on one buck for 6 years.

Comment

Here's from my list of notes I keep on my phone so I can reread it before next season- been doing this for years- tired of making the same mistakes.

Enjoy-

Digital night scope is useless in fog as is high powered green light- which can see a few yards further.

Do not drink coffee on evening hunt. You get crappy sleep later that night.

The digital scoped 6.8 has adequate zoom for 200yd shots, no need to bring 2 long guns if hunting 200yds or under.

Your October facial hair needs to get cut off before gun season if using AR's!!! ( collapsible stock pulls goatee hairs)

Bring more long and short sleeve T shirts on Splendora week long hunts.

Shoot pigs quartering away when bowhunting - you loose too many shooting broadside

Dont wear army pants while bow hunting- they are too noisy, just don't do it.

Don't have dad corn out for you- he most likely used his hands which is why nothing has touched it for 3 days

When brushing in ground blind make sure no limbs from tree or bush above roof , it will make a scratching sound on roof material when wind blows.

Comment

I can honestly say I learned the same this season. However, I also learned how to bow hunt a few certain setups successfully. I learned how I need to hunt for mature bucks in the future at the lease. And I learned how much effect the moon and air temperature has on deer activity and the rut in the areas I hunt.

I have also learned that keeping a log of my hunting experiences is a useful tool in drawing conclusions for future hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

Don't have dad corn out for you- he most likely used his hands which is why nothing has touched it for 3 days.

This may be specific to the area you hunt, but I do the same (regularly) and have no issues with the deer cleaning it up the same hunt. This could maybe have more to do with availability of natural food sources or some other factor?

Comment

If your wheat is bad 98% of deer will cross the road and eat the good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X