No announcement yet.

Searching for dead deer with drone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's a hoss, I wonder what happened to him? If he was that old you wouldn't think his rack would be so awesome this year. Did he have any visible wounds?

Comment

Seems logical and like others have said, you are searching for a dead deer, not t searching to make him dead. I would call the local GW and discuss. My guess is he will have logical approach like you and appreciate your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
        you can roll your eyes all you want. but, i'd rather alert the OP to potential issues ahead of time.

we've already seen a guy get his Kansas trip ruined by posting a photo of a predator he killed. turns out Kansas had different laws.

as lance mentioned, chatting with a game warden prior is a smart plan.

Comment

Kurdawg, I wonder the same thing. He had to be healthy through mid October to complete that rack. I do see some velvet remnants still on horns, so whatever is wrong started before he got polished off. With that in mind, he had to go from excellent horn growing condition to skin and bones in about 60-70 days. Some have suggested an abcessed tooth, stomach worms, something hung in his throat or gut. He walked away from a going feeder on the day I saw him, so I suspect he has no appetite or cant eat. I was really hoping to harvest him before he rotted away, so I could do a little biological autopsy and figure out what's wrong.

Comment

Hope you find him. He must have been running a high fever. Please keep us posted.

Comment

That’s a monster! I agree that he must have gotten sick after he put that rack on, and that he’s probably dead by now. Hopefully you can find him.

Comment

What a deer!!! Good luck in the search.

Comment

Hope you find him Bodey

Comment

Forgive me stating the obvious, but have you searched the thickest brush in a 100 yd radius around every water hole? May be hard to spot from drone as sickies tend to hole up in thick cover near water.

Comment

Drone... or just look for buzzards and crows, and use your nose too!

That said, I do know a guy in Illinois that uses his cesna to locate deer for hunters all the time that have been shot and they can't find in the cornfields.

Comment

Our buzzards migrate south with the first frost,so they are out of picture. I will hunt for 3 days like he might be alive, with hopes of harvesting him. If he doesn't show, we will do a complete ground search, maybe on horseback, starting around waterings and working out. I did put a camera on each of 2 waterings that he could be near. I don't really think he would travel far in his condition and sure dont think he would jump a fence.

Comment

Hope he’s still alive and you catch up to him but I hope you find him either way.

Good luck Bodey. Send me pics when you find him.

Comment

Bodey we had several deer die from EHD or blue tongue we are guessing around first of sept and saw a couple others that looked really bad thru first of OCT.There were lots of gnats this summer especially in sept due to all the rain. As far as we know we didn't loose any mature deer as most we saw were prob 3.5 and under. We arent far from you so its a possibility.

Good luck with the search!

Comment

If you find him dead would you have to put your tag on him to transport him home? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow Slinger View Post
                                If you find him dead would you have to put your tag on him to transport him home? Just curious.
                                I wouldn't think so, but with a buck like that after I found him I'd probably contact the local GW just to let him verify he died of natural causes. Of course, if he wanted me to burn a tag, I'd oblige!
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X