Heart of texas bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart of texas bowhunting

I have been there 3 times now and have not seen a shooter buck. No one in the ranch with me has taken a shooter buck. I was wondering if anyone else has been to this ranch? What there hunt was like? I seen lots of deer and small bucks just no big ones.

I got the Axis buck in my avatar there last year 11/1/08. Didnt shoot a WT but could have i saw alot of deer just not what i was after. I hunted last weekend there on the Lee ranch & saw alot of bucks but was sitting with my son wanting him to get one , we videoed some shooters but did not get one. A friend of mine shot a 120 1/4 " 8 pt barly made it .

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
      I got the Axis buck in my avatar there last year 11/1/08. Didnt shoot a WT but could have i saw alot of deer just not what i was after. I hunted last weekend there on the Lee ranch & saw alot of bucks but was sitting with my son wanting him to get one , we videoed some shooters but did not get one. A friend of mine shot a 120 1/4 " 8 pt barly made it .
      That is what im saying i dont think there is alot of shooter bucks there. Like you said it barly made it. The price is good but i think they should lower the min inch on the bucks.

Comment

I think they are trying to grow them bigger so they will have better deer for thier costumers

Comment

Ive been once with no shooters seen or killed by the entire group of 12.

Comment

I've seen dozens of TBH'ers go there (including myself and and another TBH'er). Have yet to see an LDP come back.

Comment

The ranch I hunt borders the north end of the north ranch. We don't shot any thing under 130 for the most part.. Have yet to go out this year and not see a deer over 120. There are some great deer at HOT. I have seen a few 150-160 deer crossing the fence and lots of 125-130in deer. Its bowhunting... not rifle hunting. Kevin's deer will only get better. Most mature bucks that get pressured don't and won't come to corn unless they are paired up with a doe. The big bucks are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                The ranch I hunt borders the north end of the north ranch. We don't shot any thing under 130 for the most part.. Have yet to go out this year and not see a deer over 120. There are some great deer at HOT. I have seen a few 150-160 deer crossing the fence and lots of 125-130in deer. Its bowhunting... not rifle hunting. Kevin's deer will only get better. Most mature bucks that get pressured don't and won't come to corn unless they are paired up with a doe. The big bucks are there.
                I agree completely!

Comment

I am going december 10th for my first time. Both me and my dad are going. Anyone have any tips or comments. I heard that if the deer is over 4.5 that he is considered a shooter even if he doesn't meet the min.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I've seen dozens of TBH'ers go there (including myself and and another TBH'er). Have yet to see an LDP come back.
                    What is TBH'ers? What is LDP? I am new to this site

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuckhunter1 View Post
                      What is TBH'ers? What is LDP? I am new to this site
                      TBH'ers- people of this site
                      LDP- laying dead pic

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        So your saying you see a shooter buck everytime you go out? If there was that many bucks there would have been more shooters taken. There has only been 7 taken this year. Couple of those dont even look like they make the 120 mark. I want to know of those 7 how many of them were guided hunts? How many of the shooter bucks that they take every year our guided hunts? They have had the lease for 5 years now and its still not kicking out shooter bucks they way it should.

Comment

Originally posted by bhtyler10 View Post
                          I am going december 10th for my first time. Both me and my dad are going. Anyone have any tips or comments. I heard that if the deer is over 4.5 that he is considered a shooter even if he doesn't meet the min.
                          Not any more they changed that rule. If he does not score you pay 750. Dont shoot a 10 point either that will cost you 1500 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Thanks for the info how many times have you been there?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuckhunter1 View Post
                              So your saying you see a shooter buck everytime you go out? If there was that many bucks there would have been more shooters taken. There has only been 7 taken this year. Couple of those dont even look like they make the 120 mark. I want to know of those 7 how many of them were guided hunts? How many of the shooter bucks that they take every year our guided hunts? They have had the lease for 5 years now and its still not kicking out shooter bucks they way it should.
                              Yes I'm saying we see a shooter via HOT rules **** near everytime we go out. The ranch where I hunt, your selling your self short on anything under 130 and we usually hold out for 140+. The 3.5 year old deer typically are your 115-125 range, 4.5 typically the 120-130 range and the 5.5 plus 130+. I'm the only one that bow hunts on the ranch. Everyone else rifle hunts

ocassionally we get a few mature 5.5 year old 8's that will not break 120 but rarely.

the mature bucks we see will not come to corn..PERIOD.. They only time they are anywhere close to corn is when paired with a doe and they are guarding her.

As far as shooters on HOT... I think Kevin's rules are soft... of the ones that are shot that are under are mostly young deer... every year if those deer wheren't shot then that would be even more mature deer next year(so yes I think he should continue to raise the penelty). Even with his fines he is still cheaper then 99 percent of the Bow hunts out there for comparable animals

Again your trying to compare Gun success rates to bow success rates. If you want a 100 percent opportunity on a 130 class bow buck then go a head and fork out $2500 and be caped on how big you can shoot on a HF place

I like kevin operation, he is very fair in fact to fair. Kevin is about a straight shooting as there is.

And if you think for a minute anyone else is going to jump up and down and tell you all about the shooters they saw on a public forum then you just under estimated your fellow man. Kevin has a lot of repeat customers that would just assume everyone thought the same thing about HOT no shooters, LOL
                              Last edited by Texans42; 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X