Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great thread!

You have inspired me to start looking on my place just north of L. Somerville and my parents place just south of the Lake. Both have creeks running through them and have high banks. o

I don't want to hi-jack this by any means but I have a question. My parents place has waterfall and corresponding permanent water hole that goes with it. But its not a spring.
    It does not have is a good source of flint but does have some gravel. The question is: Does this matter that the rock source used to make artifacts is not close the creeks?

Thanks very much! We do need a sticky for this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      What a great thread!

You have inspired me to start looking on my place just north of L. Somerville and my parents place just south of the Lake. Both have creeks running through them and have high banks. o

I don't want to hi-jack this by any means but I have a question. My parents place has waterfall and corresponding permanent water hole that goes with it. But its not a spring.
      It does not have is a good source of flint but does have some gravel. The question is: Does this matter that the rock source used to make artifacts is not close the creeks?

Thanks very much! We do need a sticky for this thread.

No it doesnt matter. There will likely be a camp site there.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        No it doesnt matter. There will likely be a camp site there.
        if you or johnny ever get down deep this way, there are bunches of points to be found on the place I hunt. I'm just not into combing but several guys do very well. I would just like to know how in the heck you spot a camp!! It all looks the same out in that desert & have no idea how they thrived in such harsh country??

We also have the very endagered star cactus (looks like peyote) which is pretty cool.

I really dig those finger nail size bird points & that first one you have in post 155...most of the ones down here retain a more basic triangular shape.

again, very cool thread...

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
          Great thread and Great Testimony. You go Gar Guy. I will be following. My Dad and I hunted arrowheads (surface) all my life. He is gone now but when I see your post it reminds me of the many great hours we had together looking for heads. Thanks.
          +1

Comment

Keep em coming.

Comment

Awesome finds so far.

Comment

Such an awesome thread, been following along, I have found a handful of pieces but nothing complete. Closest I ever had to a full one was the first one I ever found it just had a slightly broken tip. Let my brother take it to school for show and tell and he dropped and broke it. I was so mad when he gave me the pieces I chunked them out in the backyard :/ I regret that

Comment

Im quite excited at the possibilities of what we might uncover. A lady i know asked me if it didnt make me feel bad to dig into that site that had laid there for 12000 years.
                  My thought process is this.... The old Indian that posessed that Plainview undoubtedly cherished it for its art and beauty. No doubt it was a prized item to be shown and had great value. I can just guarantee you that if he could see 10,000 years into the future and watch me find his treasure that had gone unappreciated for that long, he would have smiled to see me whooping and yelling as I felt then same feelings he would have felt as he held that point and admired the perfect flaking and transparent stone.
                  By the way I have Cherokee and Kickapoo blood in me. My great great grandfather Jim Barclay donated the land for the Alabama/Caoshatta reservation in Livingston.
                  I have been hunting points all my life to. I have been working on one mound since I was a boy. I have sifted many nice points off it. Wish I had the equipment you have, I could realy cover some ground. There are whole pots, just have to locate them with a probe first. Here is a point I found a few years back that I have not been able to classify, do you know what it is? Its unlike anything else I have found at this site. Most all my sites were caddoe camps. I find my paleo points in the north sulphur river.

Comment

Looks like a Gower to me.

Comment

Could be an ensor or a Frio also. Where did it come from?

Comment

Crazy good thread.

Comment

Could be an ensor or a Frio also. Where did it come from?
                          Hopkins County. Off Whiteoak Creek.

Comment

I know you've done the math on here, but I still can't wrap my head around how there are so many points in one location. I've never found and arrowhead and wouldn't even know how to get started. It just amazes me how you located such an area and had so much belief in it that you bought it just to dig. I love this thread. When I think of buying property, it's to retire on!! Keep it up, I'm lovin it!

Comment

Thanks, I have been plesantly surprised at how well it has been recieved. Not sure why I posted it. I generally shy away from sensitive stuff on open forums.

"dum vivimus vivamus"

thanks for sharing

Comment

Headed out to dig!

Comment

Working...
                                X