fire ant bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fire ant bite

It seems Im mildly allergic to everything that bites. Mosquitos tend to welt up about the 1/4 size of a golf ball. So a reaction to a fire ant bite was expected.

I got bit in May by ONE of those little cusses and my ankle swelled up to nearly a softball size. Eventually went away, I took benedryl etc.

I got bit again, same ankle yesterday. I felt it, pulled the little $%^&& off me and squished him. Today, my ankle is swelling and the bite area is actually got a blister on it about 3/8" around and filled with water(it looks like a second degree burn blister).

Anyone else go through this and what do you do for them? This is rediculously itchy and painful, and Im kinda worried that eventually Ill develop a real allergy and vapor lock. It happened to a coworker of mine back in MI with spiders. He ended up in the hospital and was told if he ever got bit again his heart might stop.

I'm the same way Bro...Carry a Eri-pen in your truck! If you get bee stung you could vapor Lock!

Comment

yup, you're having an allergic reaction. Call your family doctor and let him know and ask for an Epi Pen prescription. The only bad thing about an Epi pen is it has to be stored at room temperature. So you can't leave it in your glove box in your truck in 100 degree heat, etc. My brother is highly allergic to bee and wasp stings and he carries one wherever he goes.

Comment

take a benydril (sp?) and rub ban roll on the bite.

Comment

Good lord - I'd say your a very allergic. Get an epipen and keep it with you. You might need it if you get stung by a bee or wasp.

You might build up a tolerance to them, but they will always itch and get that little blister thing. I get bit about once a week or two, now the bites are about an 1/8" in diameter and within hours the little blister pops up. I generally break the blister and the itching seems to go away after that.

You can also put vitamin E oil directly on it. It stops the itching and heals faster.

Comment

Keep an Epi pen with you and know how to use it. I just picked up mine last week...my old ones expired, I'm so glad i havent had to use it. They come in a 2 pack and there is also a practice "pen" that comes with it. make sure you know how to use it and show your kids/family members how to use it. I've also heard that putting vanilla on the bite helps take the sting out but I've never tried it.

Comment

just curious, but wouldnt an epi pen only be good if you are highly allergic and are at risk of anaphilactic shock?

Comment

without pics it didnt happen...just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                  just curious, but wouldnt an epi pen only be good if you are highly allergic and are at risk of anaphilactic shock?
                  Yes sir, Drenalinjunkie has to carry one due to him being highly allergic to any kind of bee sting.

But you should go to the ER or your family doctor & let them check it out.

Comment

my 2 year old son is the same way. poor guy got bit saturday and he looks like he has no ankle right now. he also swells up from mosquito bites, just not as bad. it has to hurt but the little guy plays on. looks like i need to do a little more research into this and get him to the doc to talk about precautions and what we need to do in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                      its an epinephrine injection.

Here I found this to explain it:

Why is this medication prescribed?

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.

Comment

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.
                        This would be anaphilactic shock
                        Last edited by DrenalinJunkie; 07-05-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

my son does the same thing. Mosquito bites swell up, ant bites get big and puffy. he got bit by fire ants @ boy scout camp and had blisters on his toes that were oozing. Two benadryl and ivy off and he was good to go. Swelling went down immediately. I would be slow to go to a epi pen unless the Dr. tells you need it.

Comment

My daughter swells up like a quarter size bite from ants or mosquito's. Chiggerex and they stop swelling and itching almost immediately.
                            Attached Files

Comment

[quote=DrenalinJunkie;2638401]

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.[quote/]

This would be anaphilactic shock
                              yes, life threatening. Its not to be used for a swollen ankle, I've been bit 3 times by fire ants, each time was worse and I had more swelling. Doc said the next time I could have breathing difficulties, same thing if i get stung by a bee. People just need to use common sense as to when to use it. My mom keeps one in her first aid kit and she doesnt have any bad allergic reactions to stings or bites but you never know who might need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X