X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing it rite for sure nice deer

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      There was a guy from the South on the QDMA forums that planted Patriot and Durana side by side and Durana was much more drought resistant and lasted much longer than the Patriot. It is really hard to beat Durana for the South.
      My experience is similar. I planted Patriot several years ago an is was not memorable. I now have Durana all over the place and it's very impressive. Even now with the heat and getting dry lots of it is still holding up.

I would leave whatever clover you have till Sept. then plant the small grain directly in to it. As mentioned I'm thru mowing the clover until then unless we get an especially wet period. I will mow just before drilling the small grains mid Sept. moisture considered.

In our neighborhood with our deer density any plots with summer annuals have to be at least 5 acres to have any chance of making it. Anything smaller gets eaten down before the plants ever get going. Thus for smaller plots we go with clovers and small grains.

Comment

great year for fruit production
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if i missed it or not but where can we find the videos you make each year. Do you have a youtube page or something along those lines. If you keep them hush hush no big deal I understand. I just would love to check them out and see the incredible deer you grow each year
          Last edited by acomeaux; 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acomeaux View Post
            Not sure if i missed it or not but where can we find the videos you make each year. Do you have a youtube page or something along those lines. If you keep them hush hush no big deal I understand. I just would love to check them out and see the incredible deer you grow each year
            I'm decidedly an old school country boy and never have figured out you tube pages and such. Took me forever to figure out how to post pics on this site and still seem only able to post photos from my phone only. Cant seem to get camera photos to post.

I have never done a video from the farm here though I plan to change that this year.It will be challenging to get the quality I expect as these deer are not video friendly and the hunting conditions challenging for lugging a full sized HD video camera attached to a 15 lb tripod. But I'm gonna try.

The video's you see referenced are from a ranch I have in the brush country along the Rio Grande. Totally different world than here. Bucks are far more vain and love to have their picture taken. All that said recognizing the video's are brush country not La. I'll be happy to send a copy if interested. Please appreciate they are tailored to my friends and folks that hunt the ranch with me . PM me if interested.

Comment

Dang he looks good for early July! Very nice Rusty!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Dang he looks good for early July! Very nice Rusty!
                Been watching him come to a feeder around 8pm most evenings. He is an absolute giant!!! Beautiful shape to boot.

He lives on the common border I share with my neighbor and he will be hunted this yr. by both of us. While I have seen him for last couple years in velvet I have never seen him in hard antler.

Comment

Can't wait to see one of you get him but I hope it's you that pulls the trigger on that absolute giant!

Comment

Thanks for the answer on the Patriot, I read about it being grown in some of the south eastern states , made me believe it would take the heat, so thanks to your experience, saving me labor and money. And again to the clover recommendations. For some reason I have had a problem understanding clover growing, even after reading QDMA and other post. So one more dumb *** question from me, please I have mowed my clover to lets say 8", twice mowed in the past 120 days, where I did see the clover then snuff out some of the weeds or grasses, but when mowing and replanting lets say Rye in this small hunting hole of clover, do you mow to the ground or at what height would you mow in the fall clover plot when adding the grain seed to it. And yes this little spot does get some serious deer traffic, it seams to keep up with new growth. Maybe due to other bigger food plots near by.

Comment

I mow clover once or twice late spring to early summer with the mower deck higher to knock the flowers off the clover and stimulate growth. This also somewhat controls weeds. Once it starts getting hot and dry or the clover is showing stress I stop mowing till ~ Sept. Then I mow low to prepare for fall planting.

Then when moisture is right [ mid Sept-mid Oct. ] I drill fall cultivars...small grains,radishes,brassicas, lupines, chicory etc. ...directly in to the clover. Broadcasting will usual work for this as well.

Comment

Drying out on the farm so we have started working the roads. Was a wet winter spring and as expected roads are showing the effects with ruts and such.Since we don't have a grader we are discing the roads where needed to kill grass and loosen dirt to work with. Then we will take an articulating blade and pull dirt up to try and crown. Once grass is good and dead we will try leveling out with box blade.

Part of the never-ending maintenance.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by elgato; 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

There is always something to do!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24314985I suppose pics of disced dirt roads aren't very exciting. Just the boring detail of farm maintenance. So here is a couple of pics of a buck we call lopsided. Believe to be 6 yr old. Can be found regularly in vetch field.

Comment

another view
                              Attached Files

Comment

Now that's mass!

Comment

Working...
                                X