Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elk in Texas - Why hasn't TPWD Made them a game animal or protected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
    The native elk subspecies were wiped out, the ones here now are reintroduced from a different subspecies.

I do agree that they should be managed as game animals but I can see a LOT of ranch owners making cash off of them not wanting that to happen.
    Actually, this is probably not true or at least unprovable. Some people claim that the elk native to Texas were Merriam's elk. There is no real scientific data that Merriam's elk were really a subspecies and there is no real data that Merriam's elk were the subspecies native to Texas. If Merriam's are a distinct subspecies, it is likely that some areas, like around El Paso had Merriam's elk. But, elk that were in the panhandle would likely have been Rocky Mountain elk. previous to European contact, elk were in abundance on the great plains. Would that have been a separate but undocumented subspecies of elk? Who knows.

Anyway, with genetic testing we have learned alot about what is a species and what isn't. Most subspecies designations that were based on physical characteristics have gone away and that is likely what would happen if you were able to test a Merriam's and a Rocky Mountain elk.

Comment

Originally posted by jstamps50 View Post
      I've personally seen elk in cooke and wise county, seen some killed in deer season. Alwas heard they were escapees from the powerline companies going through high fence ranches. I really wish the state would do more to try to accomplish an established herd.
      Yeah, I have seen free ranging elk in Brewster and Jeff Davis counties.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        Actually, this is probably not true or at least unprovable. Some people claim that the elk native to Texas were Merriam's elk. There is no real scientific data that Merriam's elk were really a subspecies and there is no real data that Merriam's elk were the subspecies native to Texas. If Merriam's are a distinct subspecies, it is likely that some areas, like around El Paso had Merriam's elk. But, elk that were in the panhandle would likely have been Rocky Mountain elk. previous to European contact, elk were in abundance on the great plains. Would that have been a separate but undocumented subspecies of elk? Who knows.

Anyway, with genetic testing we have learned alot about what is a species and what isn't. Most subspecies designations that were based on physical characteristics have gone away and that is likely what would happen if you were able to test a Merriam's and a Rocky Mountain elk.
        Interesting, I had not heard that. Thanks for correcting!

Comment

I'm just fine with things the way they are. I should delete the thread before this gains traction!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766 (Custom).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	24595802

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769 (Custom).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	24595803

Comment

I have been on a very large ranch in W. Texas and have seen more than 100 elk....there are a bunch out there and are under very little pressure.

Comment

I have no idea the answer, but can elk jump a normal barbed wire fence? If not, seems like it’d be pretty much impossible to have a “native” free ranging elk population as they’d never cross property lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There were tons of elk on the old Independence creek ranch in Terrell county, which was high fenced. When the Nature Conservancy bought the ranch they took all of the fencing down. This helped populate the Trans Pecos with elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                  I have no idea the answer, but can elk jump a normal barbed wire fence? If not, seems like it’d be pretty much impossible to have a “native” free ranging elk population as they’d never cross property lines.

Yes. Like it isn't even there.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                    If they recognize it as a game species then they have to have a management plan along with many other things that cost big $$. That and with all the exotic ranches with captive elk getting out, the state has to be sure that these are elk coming in from NM (which they are) and not some disease riddled barnyard elk herd. Takes time to do that type of testing. Another thing to look at is the lack of public land in Texas “elk country”. Whether or not the state recognizes them as a game animal, they will still be on private land and the general public still will not be allowed to hunt them without paying private landowners. I don’t see the up side to recognizing the herd unless the landowners and the state can work side by side on the issues and processes that will come with it. In my experience most, not all, but most landowners don’t want state over site of what they do with their animals on their land. And yes, being as they aren’t recognized yet, the elk are theirs at this point.
                    The cost to TPWD is not an issue. First, bureaucracies generally are in favor of gaining regulatory control over anything. Secondly, profits from the sale of elk tags would offset the cost of a management plan.

Figuring out which elk are privately owned and which are not is sticky, but they have set precedent with whitetail on this issue already.

Comment

Yes. Great podcast and I think Carter Smith did a great job representing our state.
                      One of my favorite episodes.

The elk population in SE Edwards county is certainly growing, that I know to be certain.

Comment

The legislation would have to pass a bill moving regulatory control from the Texas Animal Health Commission to Texas Parks and Wildlife for elk to be regulated as a game species. TPWD already recognizes them as a native game species, but they have no regulatory control.

If you want elk to be regulated by TPWD, then write your state senator and congressman.

I think elk should be managed as a native game species, but I don't think that changing control from TAHC to TPWD is going to increase hunting opportunity or herd numbers unless TPWD started an active restocking program, which at least in the short term is probably unlikely unless it was specifically appropriated by the legislature.
                        Last edited by El General; 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Yes they can, I almost hit a big 6 x 6 by Sanderson one night on the highway, I turned around because I couldn't believe it. I missed it by inches, it walked over to the fence and hopped right over it. I was in awe of his size and that I just saw an elk in Texas.

Comment

The cost to TPWD is not an issue. First, bureaucracies generally are in favor of gaining regulatory control over anything. Secondly, profits from the sale of elk tags would offset the cost of a management plan.

Figuring out which elk are privately owned and which are not is sticky, but they have set precedent with whitetail on this issue already.

What profits from the sale of elk tags?? Would they come on the Texas hunting license and everyone would get one? If that’s the case then I completely agree with you. There still wouldn’t be an opportunity for everyone to have a chance to hunt one as with the mule deer tag. But if they were designated landowner tags that were given to property owners and then sold by the owners I don’t see how the state would gain anything but control. Not arguing with you I’m seriously interested.

Comment

Elk in Texas - Why hasn't TPWD Made them a game animal or protected?

Last edited by jaker_cc; 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                                so private ranches out west can sell hunts for them without the TPWD getting involved.

Yes

Comment

Working...
                                X