Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elk in Texas - Why hasn't TPWD Made them a game animal or protected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk in Texas - Why hasn't TPWD Made them a game animal or protected?

Like the title says, why are Elk (An animal species that previously resided in Texas), listed as a non-game animal or not protected? I feel there is a hypocritical stance from TPWD when comparing Black Bears which are also making a comeback in the state. As a hunter and conservationist, I'd love to see elk at numbers high enough to justify a season on. I'm sure theres a good reason why they are not, but I'd like to hear it from those that know.

Believe they consider them a sub species?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      Like the title says, why are Elk (An animal species that previously resided in Texas), listed as a non-game animal or not protected? I feel there is a hypocritical stance from TPWD when comparing Black Bears which are also making a comeback in the state. As a hunter and conservationist, I'd love to see elk at numbers high enough to justify a season on. I'm sure theres a good reason why they are not, but I'd like to hear it from those that know.
      Elk were declared a non game animal by the legislature in the mid 90's therefore TPWD has no regulatory control over them outside of providing hunting opportunity to the few that are on state parks/public lands.
      Last edited by El General; 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like all things TPWD follow the money..

Comment

There is a meat eater pod cast where Steve interviews the director of TPWD and this is discussed

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
              There is a meat eater pod cast where Steve interviews the director of TPWD and this is discussed
              Yes. Great podcast and I think Carter Smith did a great job representing our state.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Yes. Great podcast and I think Carter Smith did a great job representing our state.
                Agreed

Comment

so private ranches out west can sell hunts for them without the TPWD getting involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                    Yep. He goes over with Steve exactly why they are not a game species. I think they should be and require a tag but that’s just me. Like said above as well, follow the money.

Comment

The native elk subspecies were wiped out, the ones here now are reintroduced from a different subspecies.

I do agree that they should be managed as game animals but I can see a LOT of ranch owners making cash off of them not wanting that to happen.

Comment

If they recognize it as a game species then they have to have a management plan along with many other things that cost big $$. That and with all the exotic ranches with captive elk getting out, the state has to be sure that these are elk coming in from NM (which they are) and not some disease riddled barnyard elk herd. Takes time to do that type of testing. Another thing to look at is the lack of public land in Texas “elk country”. Whether or not the state recognizes them as a game animal, they will still be on private land and the general public still will not be allowed to hunt them without paying private landowners. I don’t see the up side to recognizing the herd unless the landowners and the state can work side by side on the issues and processes that will come with it. In my experience most, not all, but most landowners don’t want state over site of what they do with their animals on their land. And yes, being as they aren’t recognized yet, the elk are theirs at this point.

Comment

Meateater episode 177 Poison v. Choppers.

Steven Rinella talks with Carter Smith and Janis Putelis.Subjects discussed: College epiphanies; a wrong turn at Waco; social ecologist Steve Kellert and sociobiologist E.O. Wilson; private land in Texas; what happens when critters cross international borders; Aldo Leopold; thriving in order; Texas...

Comment

I've personally seen elk in cooke and wise county, seen some killed in deer season. Alwas heard they were escapees from the powerline companies going through high fence ranches. I really wish the state would do more to try to accomplish an established herd.

Comment

Meateater episode 177 Poison v. Choppers.

Steven Rinella talks with Carter Smith and Janis Putelis.Subjects discussed: College epiphanies; a wrong turn at Waco; social ecologist Steve Kellert and sociobiologist E.O. Wilson; private land in Texas; what happens when critters cross international borders; Aldo Leopold; thriving in order; Texas...

Comment

Working...
                              X