No announcement yet.

Best All Around Deer Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am partial to the .270 for an all around gun.

Comment

Any rifle in .270 or .30-06. The 2 calibers that are more than capable of handling any game in North America from Coues deer to brown bear and moose in Alaska, without being overkill on smaller big game such as Texas whitetails.

Comment

older model 700 243

Comment

Caliber I would go with .30-06 for true all around rifle. As for the rifle itself, that is a personal decision. Most if not all rifles will be accurate right out of the box nowadays. I would choose one that fits the shooter. I personally have an older Ruger M77 that I love, as well as a Winchester 70 Featherweight that is a shooter. The one I am using the most now is a Winchester XPR. It is Winchester's answer to the climbing rifle prices, and at approximately $500, it is the best built rifle on the market IMHO. Make sure the optics and the mounts/rings are of high quality, because that is usually where the issues lie with inaccurate rifles.

Comment

When I turned 13 dad gave me a Remington 700 mountain rifle in .257 Roberts. Now is that an "all around" gun, most would say no but I agree to disagree. I gave it to my stepson a few years ago and it's still stackin 'em up

I currently am shooting a Remington 700 VTR .308. In my eyes, that is the "perfect" all around deer rifle caliber. When most people compare calibers and ballistics, what's the first caliber they compare it to? The .308

As far as which make, the 700's of today aren't what they used to be. I've heard a lot of good things about the Tikka

Comment

Great info and my son is digesting this thread. He's 18, 210 pds and 6'3"...a grown man I guess. **** I'm getting old.lol

For the Remington 700 fans, my go to rifle is a Rem 700 30-06 BDL and an older model, 24 years old actually. I broke it out Sunday evening and heart shot this fella at 175 yards. Never had an issue with it but not sure if I could find an older model, maybe a .308 or .270.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Browning xbolt Hunter in 25-06. I’m quarter-bore fan.

Comment

.243+

Comment

TC Encore with trigger job, 7-08, topped with Zeiss Conquest 3-10x44, Boyds laminate stock. I had the exact set up and got in a bind and sold it. wish I had it back....or my first rifle I bought myself.....1986 Remington 700 ADL 243.

Comment

You can spend all the money you want but you won’t get tuffer, more useable, or more hunting accurate than a Hawkeye all-weather 308 or 30-06 with a Accupoint 3-9.

Or the Win70 Extreme weather fluted.

Happy Hunting

Comment

I've been a huge .243 advocate for 20+ years but 6.5creed will roll up an elk with the same recoil and even better off the shelf accuracy.

Comment

Sendero in 25-06 topped with good glass

Comment

Henry, Winchester, or Marlin lever action in 30/30 would be my choice. Probably in that order. Shooting a lever action just makes you feel manly and American.

Comment

Remington .270

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                Yes loaded question but wanted opinions on best all around deer rifle...make, model and caliber all in one. I'm looking to pick one up soon for my son so would like to see what TBH had to say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                ruger model 77 in 7mm08 or 30-06,,, no way I would want a new remington

Comment

Working...
                                X