Self Filming Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Filming Gear

I have been trying to self film my hunts for several years but to date I have been unable to get good video of a kill shot on a good buck. I believe it is due to the fact that I have been using a cheapo camera arm that is hard to maneuver in time to get the shots on film. I have a decent camera, but I am looking for recommendations for a good camera arm, tripod, camera head, and any other accessories I may need to make it a little easier to film from a tree and a blind. For those of you that film, what are you using?

Self Filming Gear

Muddy outfitter camera arm. I haven't killed one with yet but I have passed a few close up that would have gotten it done. I got a go pro this year to add to. I'm going to try and capture a kill on film this year. I may upgrade camera and accessories next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I highly recommend the 4th Arrow camera arms. They use a ball joint type of mounting system that makes it really easy to mount it to any angle of tree. Get a decent fluid tripod head (I use manfrotto and another cheaper one from Amazon). If you want to get good footage, don't go cheap on the head. Spending $75-100 on a good head will make a difference for sure. Another less thought about accessory that makes my life so much easier is a varizoom lanc controller. Basically let's you turn on your camera, control zoom, and recording without taking your hand off the head handle. Depends on your camera as to whether you can use that though. What are you running for a camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
        Muddy outfitter camera arm. I haven't killed one with yet but I have passed a few close up that would have gotten it done. I got a go pro this year to add to. I'm going to try and capture a kill on film this year. I may upgrade camera and accessories next year.

Panasonic HC V-550. It takes great video and I love the zoom but it does not have LANC for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't short yourself on the fluid head. I have a Muddy arm that does pretty good in a tree. It's kind of a pain if you jump from tree to tree to get set up quietly because it uses a ratchet strap. I'm looking for a better option in the strap but aside from that it's a good arm.

Comment

I like the muddy pro camera arm with a Manfrotto head.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
              Don't short yourself on the fluid head. I have a Muddy arm that does pretty good in a tree. It's kind of a pain if you jump from tree to tree to get set up quietly because it uses a ratchet strap. I'm looking for a better option in the strap but aside from that it's a good arm.

Muddy makes a camera strap, I think it's called a silent strap, that is Supposed to be well, silent. I looked at them the other day, think they were like $7. I read some reviews and it looks like it takes a little "practice" to actually be silent, but can be done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                I highly recommend the 4th Arrow camera arms. They use a ball joint type of mounting system that makes it really easy to mount it to any angle of tree. Get a decent fluid tripod head (I use manfrotto and another cheaper one from Amazon). If you want to get good footage, don't go cheap on the head. Spending $75-100 on a good head will make a difference for sure. Another less thought about accessory that makes my life so much easier is a varizoom lanc controller. Basically let's you turn on your camera, control zoom, and recording without taking your hand off the head handle. Depends on your camera as to whether you can use that though. What are you running for a camera?
                Just ordered an arm and a fluid head from 4th arrow. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                  Just ordered an arm and a fluid head from 4th arrow. Thanks!

Awesome! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have several stands set for this year and sometimes go mobile, so being able to pick up the extra mounting brackets is handy too. I just leave the brackets in the tree, and take the arm/ball joint with me when I pack out.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                    See in red bold as I completely agree! And I'll add a good shotgun mic for better audio...especially in the wind (with wind cover). I've been using an old Prmios arm for years and added the Manfrotto head. Works well

Comment

Got some new toys in the mail today.

Comment

GIVEAWAY for camera mount, blind, and more...

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                        I have been trying to self film my hunts for several years but to date I have been unable to get good video of a kill shot on a good buck. I believe it is due to the fact that I have been using a cheapo camera arm that is hard to maneuver in time to get the shots on film. I have a decent camera, but I am looking for recommendations for a good camera arm, tripod, camera head, and any other accessories I may need to make it a little easier to film from a tree and a blind. For those of you that film, what are you using?
                        XENEK offers a very compact and simple camera mount that works great on a ground blind or in a tree stand. It works very well for secondary camera angles for POV cameras. You can learn more here: https://huntxenek.com/product/xenek-mini-mount/

Sign up for XENEK's December giveaway that will include the camera mount, the Apex ground blind, and more. https://huntxenek.com/fall-giveaway-2017/
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X