lens filters: Polarizing vs UV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens filters: Polarizing vs UV

The polarizing filter is twice the price of the uv and I'm looking for one that would work best in all situations...morning, mid day, & evening to protect the lens... Does anyone recommend one over the other? I don't mind paying for the expensive one if it means I'll get better shots... thoughts or comments?

i agree 100 percent

Comment

Super Dave, there are differing opinions on the UV filter to protect the lens idea. No question that it's some added protection, but a UV filter does nothing for the images. If anything, it probably degrades image quality a tiny amount. Obviously, cheaper filters likely degrade images more than more expensive ones, but any added glass in front of the lens costs you something. Other than protection, you don't get anything in return with the UV filter.

I took Russell Graves' advice and just go NAKED (lens only!). I make sure I have a lens hood on, and that gives you a good amount of protection for the lens without putting any glass in front of it.

I do like to use a circular polarizer, especially outdoors. That filter gives you an effect that is definitely noticeable, and you can reproduce it with software in post processing. A polarizing filter cuts glare and haze, increases clarity, and deepens sky and other color/saturation. It costs you a stop or two of light, depending on the filter you buy, so it's not a filter you use on every shot. But for most outdoor shots, I like to have it on.

Comment

The lens I plan on using in Alaska is borrowed, so protecting it is my main concern, but I didn't want to compromise the quality of my photos by picking the wrong one, or the cheaper one. There was only a $15 difference & for that... I had a gut feeling that the price was a minor reflection of the quality of photo the filter would produce. After reading your post I'm really glad I trusted my instincts on this one and headed back to the store for the CPL. It would've been bugging me the whole trip had I not! I was realllly lucky too. The store clerk was nice enough to ring me up 40min after closing time. Thanks Shane, really appreciate the info. & I should know better than to pack at the last minute.

Comment

Can't wait to see the Alaska pics.

Comment

I just got back from Uganda and before I left I put a UV filter on my 24-105 L lens just to test it. Anyway, while on the trip I dropped the camera and it fell on concrete. The edge of the lens took the brunt of the collission. The filter was shattered and I could not screw off the remaining filter ring. But the lens is undamaged. I did not have the lens hood on else I think it would have also protected the lens. The lens and camera kept working and I have some great shots from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Can't wait to see the Alaska pics.
              3 years later and still no pictures!

Here they come, better late than never!

Comment

Working...
              X