No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot deer with a .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have killed plenty of Hill Country deer with a .223, for me, base of the neck works best, heart shoot them and they die, but no exit wound makes them difficult to track. Just my thoughts.
    Have fun and be safe.

Comment

younger cousins have passed around a Rossi single shot .223 rifle-has to beat least 15-20 deer killed with it -I witnessed a stout eight pointer go down in about eight yards.

Comment

Glad everyone has posted here, and OP thanks for the quesiotn. I have a Browning .223 that I took a few deer with as a kid, and my wife has been talking about shooting it this season. We have seen a couple good bucks, and I am considering letting her carry the .223
        I bow hunt almost exclusively all season now. Can Someone explain the high shoulder shot that has been mentioned a few times? Only shots I ever did was neck up close to the head, or armpit for heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Deer won't die if the bullet doesent go bang! Have half a box for my son's Savage .223 and AT LEAST 30% or more have been failure to fire with solid strike marks on the primer. I had 3 in a row yesterday at the range.
          Was it just one box? I've shot two boxes at hogs and other varmints over the summer, testing them for my daughter to shoot a deer with and never had a problem. Most bullets exited even large boar.

Comment

I have shot a few and DRT on the spot But ... I use premium Ammo 64 Gr TSX and chose my shot (Neck or Lungs)

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
              Glad everyone has posted here, and OP thanks for the quesiotn. I have a Browning .223 that I took a few deer with as a kid, and my wife has been talking about shooting it this season. We have seen a couple good bucks, and I am considering letting her carry the .223
              I bow hunt almost exclusively all season now. Can Someone explain the high shoulder shot that has been mentioned a few times? Only shots I ever did was neck up close to the head, or armpit for heart.

Aim for the shoulder it'll break the shoulder little higher and in front of arm pit and hit the heart every single time. It ruins a lot of meat though so don't be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
                looks like buffalo bore makes some hot and heavy rounds too

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=41

I wouldn't shoot anything except varmints with those hollow points. They'll probably just explode and leave you with a wounded deer.

I kill axis deer all the time with a .223 using Winchester 64 gr. Power Points. Depending on where I hit them, they haven't run more than 30 yards. Killed a couple of sheep and pigs at the lease as well. Longest shot was 182 yards. DRT

Comment

You will be disappointed after using your 3006. As stated no exit wound s mean no blood trail and not near the knock down of the 3006. Depends on where you shoot them. Folks I hunt with in south Texas have gone up in caliber...3006,2506,270,300 to gain pass thru and blood trails,not eliminate them.

Comment

62gr Fusion, 62gr Speer Gold Dot, 60gr Nosler Partition, 64 gr Win Power Point, 64gr Nosler Bonded....all work well. One thing to consider is some some folks end up shooting them out of short barreled AR's and they don't have the velocity as a bolt gun with a longer barrel. I used to load the Nosler Partition for the kids when they were younger but the Fusion does just as well and they are so cheap I can't justify the time and they have all moved up in caliber now.

Comment

I have shot half a dozen using either the CEB 45 Raptor or the old discontinued Nosler 60 grain solid base. My daughter has shot several more using that old Nosler 60 as well. We are out of those now though, so for this season I have swapped her over to the 64 Nosler Bonded. There are quite a few good bullets out there though. 62 Fusion, 60 Partition, 64 Winchester are all loaded in factory ammo. The Sierra #1365, 55 SBT is a good bullet as well for a slower twist. Plus add in the Barnes too. And several others.

Comment

64 gr Winchester Power Points work well for me. I usually shoot a doe or 2 every year with one. Full pass throughs every time at around 100 yards. They usually run, but not far.

Comment

223 with Hornady TAP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work;12828485[B
                            ]It will do the trick. Problem is the shot placement is a must.[/B] Smaller bullet less blood/vitals damage. If you have hogs its a great gun for them!!
                            This but when the shot isn't good it makes for a tough recovery. I experienced this when my bro gut shot one with a .223. Luckily we recovered the animal and it was edible.

Comment

The problems I have seen with a 223 is usually the shooter. As has been stated many times above, with good placement it is effective.
                              I help with a youth hunt every year and we have banned anything under a 243. Most of these kids are not experienced and we got tired of chasing deer and in many instances losing deer.

All were shot with a 223 and shot placement was not good. A bigger caliber can make up for a poor shot. Unless I know for a fact that the shooter can put the bullet where intended, I will not allow the use of a 223 on deer.

Comment

I have shot a few with a 223. I use the heavies bullet I can find that is accurate in my rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X