slow arrow vs fast arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow arrow vs fast arrow

I was talking to my brother and he shoots a Mathews and he says it's really a fast bow. But he always complains of shots that glance off deer. And that he pro baby needs a new broad head so he does. He ask me how many animals I recovered, I told him some I have been bow hunting with recurves I have hit 9 or 10 animals and recover ed 9, I may have hit a turkey. But unsure. I was telling him to get a heavier arrow and slow it down. All of my tracks have been under 27 yards but 8 were under 10 yards. So do you think a slower arrow is more lethal? I do know that the more speed you put into something the more friction it will encounter.

shot selection

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
    I was talking to my brother and he shoots a Mathews and he says it's really a fast bow. But he always complains of shots that glance off deer. And that he pro baby needs a new broad head so he does. He ask me how many animals I recovered, I told him some I have been bow hunting with recurves I have hit 9 or 10 animals and recover ed 9, I may have hit a turkey. But unsure. I was telling him to get a heavier arrow and slow it down. All of my tracks have been under 27 yards but 8 were under 10 yards. So do you think a slower arrow is more lethal? I do know that the more speed you put into something the more friction it will encounter.
    Could just be the shots he is taking, the majority of traditional shots are much closer quarters.

Comment

My brother has kill more with a recurve w sights I gave him than w a compound. He sets up at 20 yards. it maybe he just hasn't got that compound tuned right. But we always talk about this topic

Comment

Odds are he needs a heavier arrow. Light fast arrows don't have enough momentum. He needs to read Dr Ed Ashby's studies on penetration. Momentum is what controls penetration not kinetic energy.

Comment

I honestly doubt is the arrow speed. I bet it is form and how his brain works. He might be punching his mechanical release... or maybe he moves the bow alot so he can see the arrow in flight, etc.

It is just as easy to form bad habbits with a compound as it is with a recurve that can cause you to lose game or miss.

Comment

Could be a million things, my broadheads flew like crap the last two years and I first came here for advice (so you did step one), then I would start with properly spined arrows, then yoke tuning with field points and a proper FOC, then re tune with the broadheads. This should put him close enough for hunting. But there are thousands of other things you can do in-between there and after that...and for that stuff you will have to ask the green screen, google, and youtube...

Comment

If his arrows are "glancing off deer" then he is not hitting them in the correct place. There has been a gazillion animals killed with slow trad gear, and a gazillion more killed with fast compounds. Like said above, there are countless things that could cause him to not make a good shot. If he puts a well tuned arrow in both lungs of a critter, it really does not matter which weapon was used. Knowing what I know, I would always advocate for the heavier arrow is better side of the argument though.

Bisch

Comment

Has nothing to do with speed.

Bad shot, bad arrow flight, or combination of both.

I've personally witnessed expandable heads glance off, but it was due to poor shot choices. Watched a guy skin the hide off the ribs on the left side of a nice bull elk in CO one year.

Later when talking to him about it he was blaming the broadhead. I said, yep I don't like expandables either, but if that bull hadn't been facing almost completely away from you the results would likely have been much different.
                He didn't like my opinion.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  Odds are he needs a heavier arrow. Light fast arrows don't have enough momentum. He needs to read Dr Ed Ashby's studies on penetration. Momentum is what controls penetration not kinetic energy.
                  I second this

Comment

Perhaps its a spine issue, not flying perfectly straight at moment of impact.

Comment

My compound I shoot light fast arrows, my recurve, I shoot slow, heavy arrows. I haven't killed an animal with my recurve yet, but I get pass throughs every time with my compound. I think for whitetails, it's preference. They're not a very tough skinned critter. I know women who shoot light arrows out of a >45# bow and get pass throughs.

Comment

Totally prefer the heavier arrows...if im shooting 3d and the target dont rock a little..im disappointed....cause if it rocks you can imagine what its gonna do on a breathing target.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                          Totally prefer the heavier arrows...if im shooting 3d and the target dont rock a little..im disappointed....cause if it rocks you can imagine what its gonna do on a breathing target.
                          Right there with ya. I also like to watch people strain when pulling my arrows.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                            This. More often than not a heavier, slower arrow will outperform a lighter, faster arrow. The market's emphasis on speed can be sickening sometimes. That coupled with the push towards large cut expandable broadheads can yield disappointing results. I don't care much for the TV shows that show a mature buck running off with 24 inches of a 28 inch arrow sticking out of them while the celebrity is yelling, "smoked 'em..... smoked 'em".
                            Sorry about the preaching,
                            Physics

Comment

Back in 1997 I was shooting a 98# recurve with a 605gr arrow that shot 247fps with my hunting arrows.

I was a staff shooter for a manufacturer & pro shop, and that same year they wanted me to shoot a compound some. I didn't mind, so I competed & hunted with both for that one year period.

The compound was shooting a 435gr arrow right at the 300fps mark. There was no comparison between the penetrating power it had & that of the recurve. The recurve didn't even come close to it.

In other words - it depends on how heavy & slow, or how light & fast. Either can be taken to extremes of diminishing returns.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X