Chest holster suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    I'm assuming you'll be wearing a pistol or revolver for protection from bears ? Is your hide worth $150 ?
    Not really an argument there, when there are a plethora of other chest holsters that IMO have more to offer than the Kenai and are less than 150.00.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
      What handgun will you be carrying?
      Well my original plan was going to be a G29 or G20 in 10mm, but I have recently came across some good deals on a Ruger GP100 and a Dan Wesson, both 6" revolvers in .357 mag. Since I already have supplies to reload for the 357 I can build a load that produces more energy than the 10mm. So I may go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        Well my original plan was going to be a G29 or G20 in 10mm, but I have recently came across some good deals on a Ruger GP100 and a Dan Wesson, both 6" revolvers in .357 mag. Since I already have supplies to reload for the 357 I can build a load that produces more energy than the 10mm. So I may go that route.
        With a 6" I might go with a chest rig, but my 4" I am very comfortable with a quality high riding leather holster in the pickup or sitting. I have shot big pigs with both a 10mm and 357 with heavy hand loads and while it does the job I don't think I would be comfortable with it against a bear. If it is what you are comfortable with then by all means use it, it is better than nothing. I have recently worked up a load in my 4" 629 with a 310 WFN at about 1200 fps that is a real hammer. I had a GP 100 once that had a tight forcing cone and didn't like cast bullets, every time I shot it lead peeled off the bullets and hit you in face. I might of had a bad one but you might check into it if you go that route.
        Last edited by mrc; 02-13-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
          With a 6" I might go with a chest rig, but my 4" I am very comfortable with a quality high riding leather holster in the pickup or sitting. I have shot big pigs with both a 10mm and 357 with heavy hand loads and while it does the job I don't think I would be comfortable with it against a bear. If it is what you are comfortable with then by all means use it, it is better than nothing. I have recently worked up a load in my 4" 629 with a 310 WFN at about 1200 fps that is a real hammer. I had a GP 100 once that had a tight forcing cone and didn't like cast bullets, every time I shot it lead peeled off the bullets and hit you in face. I might of had a bad one but you might check into it if you go that route.
          I know that the 357 or 10mm is not the perfect round. But I will be with 3 other guys that each will have either a 44 or a 500 S&W. I simply don't want to be the guy that has nothing at all for backup. I will mainly use the 357 as a hunting round here at home chasing pigs and such. If I were a full time guide in bear country I would be looking into a much larger round. Bear spray will be the primary deterrent.

Comment

I've got a desantis yukon rig I wear when checking hog traps and shredding around our place. It wasn't expensive and holds my 10mm 1911 and an extra mag real well. Might check it out.

Comment

I know that the 357 or 10mm is not the perfect round. But I will be with 3 other guys that each will have either a 44 or a 500 S&W. I simply don't want to be the guy that has nothing at all for backup. I will mainly use the 357 as a hunting round here at home chasing pigs and such. If I were a full time guide in bear country I would be looking into a much larger round. Bear spray will be the primary deterrent.
              Heck, make them carry you back up and your rifle/bow too. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                Heck, make them carry you back up and your rifle/bow too. :-)
                HAHAHA, don't tempt me....lol

Comment

I'd have a foot race to determine the slowest runners then just make sure you are ahead of them. Not carrying a sidearm might be the edge you needed

Comment

If it makes you happy and you can shoot it good then be confident in what you have. If you want a do all concealed carry weapon the go for the 29. The 200 WFN cast are plenty stout

Comment

Working...
                    X