No announcement yet.

Unusual trad kills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bull's name was Matt. He weighed in the 2400 # range.
    We had a Matt & a Pat.
    Pat was a good bull, and stayed home.
    Matt was like a bulldozer, and nothing short of pipe corral would hold him when he wanted to travel, which was often.

While I was building my house, he kept tearing the fence down, then climbing up on my front porch & crushing it. One time He knocked the front door down, but thankfully he couldn't go through it, or he would have fallen through the floor.

After several times of this, I was extremely POed.

I didn't want to kill him. I just wanted to persuade him to stay away.
    I had been throwing things at him, shot him with a bean shooter & rocks, and even peppered his but with bird shot once. Nothing worked.

On that fateful evening, I went to my truck where my bow & my 30.06 were laying side by side in the back seat. I eyed that Remington a long time before I chose the bow.

I shot him at about 15 yards with my 98# Martin recurve, with a 2413 XX75 tipped with a 145gr field point, and a red rubber blunt over the point.

Like I said, I didn't want to kill him, but I aimed as if I did. To my horror, the arrow buried to the fletching when it hit. Didn't find him till the next day.

It exploded/pulverized a rib going in, went through both lungs, and lodged in a rib on the opposite side. The field point had punched through the blunt just enough to bury into the exit side rib & catch there.

Dad was POed, but he also was quick to realize that the bull wasn't worth the amount of cost in damage he had done.

I still have bad dreams about it to this day, and it happened over 30 years ago.

Rick

Comment

Rick, that is definitely an unusual trad kill.

Comment

I shot a coon once that was gorging himself up on my feeder. He was facing me and I thought "I believe I'll just shoot him between the eyes". Well, I was off just a hair. The arrow went through one eye and was stuck in his head about 3/4 through. Knocked him off the feeder. He grabbed hold of that arrow and tried to pull it back out. I thought for sure he was gonna croak any second. He slowly walked straight away from me, stopping occasionally to try and pull out whatever the heck was in his eye. He finally went over a little rise about 10 yards from the feeder and disappeared. I gave him about 30 minutes and climbed down as it was getting close to dark. I walked over the rise and there he was, both hands on that arrow, still trying to pull it forward. Well, I wanted my arrow back, but wasn't willing to fight a coon fairly to get it, so I nocked another, and when I shot him this time, I hit him mid-body and pinned him to a small tree. I waited about 10 minutes and approached him to retrieve my arrows. He hissed and generally told me that he wasn't ready to give up just yet. I thought "to heck with this, I'll come back in the morning and get my arrows, Surely, he'll be dead then".
        Well, when I got there in the morning, sure enough, he was as dead as a door knob. But,!! he had gotten himself off that arrow that had him pinned and was 5 feet away.
        Nope, he never got that dang thing out of his eye. Lol.
        Man, those coons are tough!
        Lippe

Comment

Wow great story but 98#'s?? Dang..!!!! Serious poundage.

Comment

Your story is a good one Rick. I was very close to having a familiar one. I bought some small game blunts because I was having trouble with the landowner's cows coming to my feeders and neighbors' dogs coming over onto the property. Luckily I never got the opportunity to use one on a cow or neighbors' dogs because I decided to shoot a raccoon and it zipped through it like a broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
              We had a Matt & a Pat.
              Matt was like a bulldozer, and nothing short of pipe corral would hold him when he wanted to travel, which was often.

While I was building my house, he kept tearing the fence down, then climbing up on my front porch & crushing it. One time He knocked the front door down, but thankfully he couldn't go through it, or he would have fallen through the floor.

I had been throwing things at him, shot him with a bean shooter & rocks, and even peppered his but with bird shot once. Nothing worked.

On that fateful evening, I went to my truck where my bow & my 30.06 were laying side by side in the back seat. I eyed that Remington a long time before I chose the bow.

I shot him at about 15 yards with my 98# Martin recurve, with a 2413 XX75 tipped with a 145gr field point, and a red rubber blunt over the point.

Like I said, I didn't want to kill him, but I aimed as if I did. To my horror, the arrow buried to the fletching when it hit. Didn't find him till the next day.

It exploded/pulverized a rib going in, went through both lungs, and lodged in a rib on the opposite side. The field point had punched through the blunt just enough to bury into the exit side rib & catch there.

Dad was POed, but he also was quick to realize that the bull wasn't worth the amount of cost in damage he had done.

I still have bad dreams about it to this day, and it happened over 30 years ago.

Rick
              Bet you ate burgers for months out of that "incident" lol

Geckos, various bugs and a Pleko while bowfishing. Strangest, best, shot was at a running quail. From inside the house, thru a cracked door, 18 steps across the yard, thru a 4" goat fence. With 2 witnesses after I called a HEAD shot.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I did shoot at a 3d target n the yard skip off of it n the arrow stuck n the gas tank of my mil generator, done it again n arrow stuck n door of my shed!!! Got rid of that an ient brick hard target!!

Comment

Originally posted by smokin feathers View Post
                  I did shoot at a 3d target n the yard skip off of it n the arrow stuck n the gas tank of my mil generator, done it again n arrow stuck n door of my shed!!! Got rid of that an ient brick hard target!!
                  I will not shoot a 3D target in my backyard unless it is up against a back stop in case I skip off the top of the back.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                    We had a Matt & a Pat.

Rick
                    Wow! So much for needing razor sharp broadheads for big game; heck, just use a 98-lb bow with a doorstopper on the arrow!

Comment

I killed an Emu once with a longbow. Made jerky out of the whole bird.

Randy

Comment

Was practicing in the backyard, in the city mind you, and my wife comes out to talk to me. While talking to her I notice a squirrel on our roof so I get that look in my eye. Bought that time my wife's tone changes as she says what are you doing, you better not.

Fired and nailed the squirrel but to my dismay it hopped off the roof, onto the tree, over the fence and into the neighbors backyard with my arrow. I go knock on the neighbors door and he comes out higher than a kite while I'm standing on the porch with my bow and another arrow so I can finish him.

I explain and the neighbor says cool come on in and let's get your kill. Then I shot the squirrel in the eye to kill him while he sat in a bush. Good times, and best neighbor we've had so far.

Almost got the new neighbors dog when an arrow went through the fence... they weren't happy.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robert13t View Post
                          Was practicing in the backyard, in the city mind you, and my wife comes out to talk to me. While talking to her I notice a squirrel on our roof so I get that look in my eye. Bought that time my wife's tone changes as she says what are you doing, you better not.

Fired and nailed the squirrel but to my dismay it hopped off the roof, onto the tree, over the fence and into the neighbors backyard with my arrow. I go knock on the neighbors door and he comes out higher than a kite while I'm standing on the porch with my bow and another arrow so I can finish him.

I explain and the neighbor says cool come on in and let's get your kill. Then I shot the squirrel in the eye to kill him while he sat in a bush. Good times, and best neighbor we've had so far.

Almost got the new neighbors dog when an arrow went through the fence... they weren't happy.
                          A recent conversation I had with caughtandhobble is playing through my mind right now after reading your story... Something about possibly being on the news if a squirrel runs out of my yard with an arrow in it and goes into the wrong yard.

BTW, here is a tip on arrows through the fence. I had to pony up once for sending one through/under the fence... thought my neighbor was going to find it when he mowed so I fessed up ahead of time. He was cool, he only ever went into his backyard to mow. I googled and found that hanging a piece of $40 horse stall mats from tractor supply makes a better backstop than a bare wooden privacy fence.

Comment

The thought of the news channel is why I no longer shoot at squirrels from the front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by robert13t View Post
                              The thought of the news channel is why I no longer shoot at squirrels from the front yard.
                              I did the same. I shot a pigeon and the darn thing flew across the street into a the neighbors yard with my arrow.
                              Last time I did that. Just saw myself on channel 2 news.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
                                When I'm really bored I chase bumble bees
                                Shoot them out the air as they hover around my old shed

I love this pic, to me this is leading in the thread.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rick's story was the most entertaining. Much respect for him, but I had to chuckle when I thought, he shot a heavy arrow out of a 98 lb bow, and was surprised it blew right through...rubber blunt or not.

I am also a cow killer, in Australia they call the feral cattle scrub bulls, I shot one on purpose. He paid for everyone of his kind that has ever ****** me off. Tearing up a feeder, ruining a hunt, butting, kicking, stepping on me, etc....

I once hunted a place and the guy told me that some kind of big bird had gotten on his place and he wanted it killed. This was a low fence place before the big push to raise ostrichs and the like. While crawling along a blood trail of an axis doe I had shot, I heard footsteps. I could see a bird, coming toward me with "purpose". I had no idea where to aim, so I shot him middle/middle. He ran in a circle and fell over. It turned out to be the first Emu I had ever seen. At the time, it was unusual. Of course a few years later they were everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X