SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
    Only if there gets to be a lot of foot traffic in the area. Bump the deer setting out or retrieving cameras and their alert levels start increasing. I try to go in the rain or windy days to do as little disruption to areas I hunt. I go as scent free as possible. If I'm in the woods all day scouting and not so scent free, I will stay away for a month so the deer will return to the area and get back to their comfort level. Scouting end for me this month.

The pattern will change when hunters hit the woods. Hope you have a quiet area.
    Thanks for the pointers, that's what I figured. And I would say they aren't visited much, closest one is a 2 mile hoof in.💀 Fingers crossed one of my spots produces this year, been scouting areas for me and 2 friends since they aren't the most savvy (I'm not too well off either, but gotta fine tune the techniques somehow XD)

Comment

I was told there is a shnf map that shows archery only locations. I can't find it on the web anywhere. can someone send me a link if you have it? This will be my first year hunting the shnf.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
        I was told there is a shnf map that shows archery only locations. I can't find it on the web anywhere. can someone send me a link if you have it? This will be my first year hunting the shnf.
        Google "tpwd public hunting map" when you pull up the map, look at areas outlined in green. Then open the legend, and it will tell you that the archery only areas are green outline with light grey lines running across the land. Any more questions on it just let us know again and I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
          You can go to the National Forest web site and buy a map for $11. It's a better map than the one in the book or on line. You may be able to buy them at the head quarters too.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
            Oh look, we get closer to season and the strangers start coming back
            Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Lol.....Andy Like I'm a stranger. How have you been?

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
            Yeah that's all good. I'm actually targeting a few regulars who disappear for 9 months at a time claiming they have a life keeping them busy
            Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            I have been busy this year with the new job and working on that darn race car.

Comment

Well checked back up on one of my spots to see if the white oaks were producing acorns. Sadly, saw next to none. Anyone else have this issue? Also, in their place I found a handful of cherry trees and some hickory that were producing like mad. Thoughts?

Comment

Awesome i haven't seen a cherry tree I did see a few chewed up acorns in creek beds about 1 week ago.

Comment

In my experience hickory are worthless as a food source for deer. The darn shells are way too hard to crack.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                    Lol.....Andy Like I'm a stranger. How have you been?

I have been busy this year with the new job and working on that darn race car.
                    Bryant you and Brad can come and go as you please because one thing is for sure: if there's a big buck to be killed in the Sam y'all are gonna find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      In my experience hickory are worthless as a food source for deer. The darn shells are way too hard to crack.
                      Yeah I figured they'd go for acorns and the cherrys first, I have seen the deer eat some of the hickory nuts when the shells start getting mushy though, so I figured it'd be worth asking around. Have you seen many acorns this year? In my experience from looking over my spots and new areas it seems like it's gonna be pretty pathetic this year. That or I'm gonna need to search way more

Forest Hunter : yeah acorns have seemed a tough find for me, but I seem to find tons of cherry trees, black cherry if my hunch is correct.

Comment

The red oak trees I've seen are loaded.

Comment

The red oak trees I've seen are loaded.
                          In that case I need to do some bushwhacking this next week or two XD

Comment

Bryant you and Brad can come and go as you please because one thing is for sure: if there's a big buck to be killed in the Sam y'all are gonna find it.
                            Thanks John, I'm looking forward to hunting season this year. Should be a good one. I've been out a couple of times and it was hot! Got a few good spots picked out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                              Well checked back up on one of my spots to see if the white oaks were producing acorns. Sadly, saw next to none. Anyone else have this issue? Also, in their place I found a handful of cherry trees and some hickory that were producing like mad. Thoughts?
                              Never seen wild cherry trees in the forest can you post some pics to know what they look like.

Comment

Anyone know someone in Huntsville/New Waverly area that does affordable land clearing?

Comment

Working...
                                X