Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay tuned for more of the traveling Sacagawea show.

As soon as I return from my LA fishing trip Ryan is sending her along. We will be headed to Val Verde county at least once while I am in possession!

Comment

Looking forward to your adventures too TP3! Don't know if my math's right (can't count that high!), but I think I'll have it at the tail end of deer season 2018. Now whether anything will die... Maybe a leaf, or two, a gopher mound, who knows... Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Hey guys, Ryan (CRM95) has sent Sacagawea on her way to my house. According to tradition, here is my biography.

My name is Trey Preslar. I was born and raised in Dripping Springs, TX. I do finish carpentry, namely countertops and cabinetry with my brother for a living. Hunting and fishing are the things I really enjoy, and most of my disposable time and income go toward them.

Around age 8 my dad got me a bear compound bow. I remember how awesome I thought it was (it was camo). I was fortunate enough to grow up on 40 acres, which afforded me plenty of pellet gun and bowhunting opportunities. No bird or rabbit was safe, only mockingbirds were off limits. I stayed out in the brush most of the day. After getting a .22 and a shotgun and subsequently outgrowing my little bow, I didn’t pick archery back up until I was about 16 and could pull back my dad’s bow. I took a couple of doe and a spike with it in high school.

After graduation I was more interested in hunting different types of doe. Which lasted a number of years. While attending SFA I bought myself a new Bowtech and met a great TBHer (nimrodAJH). He and some other friends with access to some property allowed me to tag along on some bowhunts. I was lucky enough to take a few more deer and hogs, and am forever grateful to all of those guys. They re-ignited my passion for bowhunting in a big way. Every kill was as exciting as the one before it, and I couldn't get enough of it.

Sometime in 2009 I became interested in traditional archery, mainly wanting to make a bow. I worked in a fancy woodshop (not my own) and figured I should be able to build one in a day or two. HA, joke was on me there.
        After an original failed attempt at a tiger wood selfbow, I decided to do a little research. I soon found myself deep down the rabbit hole of laminated bows.

I built my first recurve bow, 74# at 28”. Overbowed much? That one is on the wall now. Since then I have built about 70, mostly for friends, family, and friends of friends. I would like to thank Mark Bowles of KC archery as he was a wealth of good information when I was a total novice.

For a season or 2 I would still use my compound as I was more confident with it. I would break out a trad bow after I had some meat in the freezer. Finally I began leaving the bulky bow case at home and concentrating harder on my setups to be more effective at traditional ranges. It took me almost 3 seasons to get my first whitetail with a bow I built. It was a one horned spike, and I was tickled to death with it. LOTS of misses and close calls, just couldn’t make it happen until then. I fortunately have ample pig hunting opportunities, and nothing helps my confidence like a good live target. Since then I have become more proficient, and last season I was fortunate enough to take a nice 8 point with one of my bows.

I enjoy this forum and sharing yalls kills, misses, and experiences is great. I plan on taking Sac out to west Texas in a few weeks. If the hogs won't cooperate maybe the jack rabbits will.

Comment

Great write up Trey!! Have fun and good luck!!

Comment

Good write-up Trey.

Comment

Nice to meet you Trey. Looking forward to the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome, Trey! Have fun with her, and tell us about any adventures y'all get to have together!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got strung up and headed outside as soon as I got home from the shop. (My wife wouldn't allow me to open up my 12 yard "indoor range" last night. ) Adjusted my nock point a little bit and hit the ground running.
                  Wow, what a cool little bow! Very quiet, and will spit that arrow very well. I am really excited to do some walking around with it, only weighs about half of the bow I'm used to.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you and Sac are off on the right foot Trey! Good shootin! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Good shooting Trey!! And she's light for sure. Easy to carry around and maneuver.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                        Good shooting Trey!! And she's light for sure. Easy to carry around and maneuver.
                        Yes, quite a pleasure to shoot.

Comment

Great write-up and shooting Trey

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

It should be about time for Sacajawea to be headed to Swampghost. I hope you had a good time with her TP3!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes sir, waiting for Swampghost to return from an offshore hitch. She will be heading to LA soon.

Comment

On her way to Swamp Ghost in Louisiana.

I only shot at foam, but it's about time for someone to draw some blood again.

Thanks again to all those who got this started.

Comment

Working...
                                X