No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel Hunting Bullet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot an offering from Federal that is showing good results as well, the 120gr fusion load.

Mike what loads are you trying with the LRABs? I am getting sub MOA and in the bolt action 1/3 to 5/8 groups @100 yards with them and (usual disclaimer use this data with normal precautions Safe in my gun but work up to it in yours) 30.6gr CFE 223, CCI 450, Lapua brass COAL 2.27. That is a bit under what I consider max and Nosler data shows it to be the most accurate load with that bullet. Several of us Grendel shooters agree it shoots well in our guns. With the BC of that bullet it just doesn't like to slow down very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      Forgot an offering from Federal that is showing good results as well, the 120gr fusion load.

Mike what loads are you trying with the LRABs? I am getting sub MOA and in the bolt action 1/3 to 5/8 groups @100 yards with them and (usual disclaimer use this data with normal precautions Safe in my gun but work up to it in yours) 30.6gr CFE 223, CCI 450, Lapua brass COAL 2.27. That is a bit under what I consider max and Nosler data shows it to be the most accurate load with that bullet. Several of us Grendel shooters agree it shoots well in our guns. With the BC of that bullet it just doesn't like to slow down very fast.

My Grendel doesn’t like the Fusions either. Mine is an AR with a 20” Bartlein 5R 8 twist barrel. Best I could get out of the Fusion was about 1.5 which is unacceptable to me in a factory gun much less one with a high end barrel.

On the ABLR, I’ve been trying CFE223 and Win 748 so far. Ladder testing the CFE from 30 to 31 grains in .2 increments. Lapua brass, Fed GM205MAR primers, 2.280 COAL (mag limited). Been seeing groups from .8 to 1.25. I know this gun will shoot better than that. I’m looking for that .5 or smaller group.

One thing I’ve seen is inconsistent velocities with CFE. Here’s a strip from my chronograph. I’m not happy at all with those ES & SD numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

^^ Any updates from you guys on the LRAB?^^

Groups? Kills?

Comment

I have killed a ton of animals this year with the eld-m

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
            Any bad experiences?

Comment

The gap is that there are two schools of thought on these threads, as illustrated above.

"Bullet entered and split into 2 pieces. One peice stopped after travlong 8 inches. The other larger piece kept going and continued to break apart all the way through the guts, liver, heart and lungs, eventually stopping at the hide in between the hide and the scapula."

One school believes this is a great success, the other believes this is catastrophic failure of a bullet.

Comment

I'm switching from Blacks to Fusion. Waiting for the Fusion to arrive. Hopefully better results. Inconsistent groups and unrecovered animals.

Comment

same here

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    Any bad experiences?
                    I have had a few hogs get away with the ELD-M

Im also looking at going with the Fusion more especially for Hogs. My experiences w the ELDM and deer have been neck shots on does. No issue there. We did shoot one doe in the shoulder and seemed to frag and get the heart.
                    Last edited by KC Huntin; 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Here’s a strip from my chronograph. I’m not happy at all with those ES & SD numbers.
                      someone's running an Oehler 35P

25 yrs and mine still works like a champ ... the dual Proof Channels are the real deal (2 velocities are taken during each 1 shot)

Comment

Killed 3 deer with black 123s this year all died quick 2 broadside one hard quartering to all exited all good sized holes.
                        My gun likes them I'll keep using them

Comment

Alot of guys around here have switched to the Federal American Eagle 90gr TNT round. I shoot it in my 6.8 and harvested two deer this year, both shot behind shoulder at appox 110 - 125 yards. On both deer the bullet did exit and deer ran 15 - 25 yards.

Comment

Has anyone had problems with the federal fusion ammo jamming. It actually shot pretty decent groups but it was getting caught in the bolt when trying to eject and jammed everytime.

I bought some federal gold 130gr hybrids and it did the same thing. It cycles Hornady perfectly so do not know exactly what the problem is.
                            Last edited by Kenner97; 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                              Has anyone had problems with the federal fusion ammo jamming. It actually shot pretty decent groups but it was getting caught in the bolt when trying to eject and jammed everytime.

I bought some federal gold 130gr hybrids and it did the same thing. It cycles Hornady perfectly so do not know exactly what the problem is.
                              Sounds like you may need to adjust the gasblock.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                                Sounds like you may need to adjust the gasblock.
                                Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?

Comment

Working...
                                X