Can have a REALLY private phone number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can have a REALLY private phone number?

I remember back when if you had an "unlisted number," you were pretty much invisible. Nowadays, though, you can get online and find out anything about anybody, from their phone number to what they ate for breakfast. Is it possible to have a really private phone number that won't automatically be on these websites, etc.?
    Last edited by Ruark; 03-13-2018, 08:57 AM.

Not if you have a credit card, order anything online that requires a phone number, or ever enter your phone number online for any reason. Websites track that info, facebook tracks anything entered if the page is open in the browser. Everything online has some sort of ad tracking built in, if you enter a phone number its tracked, then compiled info gets your info tagged with it.

There is also tracking via search history, and you ISP as well.

Comment

Get a prepaid from Walmart and dont share it with anyone. I have one as a back up for when I am traveling ect. I HAVE to turn my daily phone off when its R&R time.

Comment

I only get a signal at my lease on Verizon. My regular cell phone is AT&T. My ranch phone only 4 people have the number the guys on the ranch and my Mom. I don't use the number for anything I buy, fill, out etc. Been sitting on the kitchen cabinet charging and hasn't been called since deer season ended.

Comment

All the phone companies sell your number and info to marketers.
          The best thing you can do to stay off their radar is register on the Do Not Call list and let your phone company or carrier know you want to opt out of having your number verified to marketers. They can still give out your number but won’t verify it with personal info.

The minute we activated our new landline I started getting unwanted calls...2-5 a day. This was a new number I had never shared with anyone. I placed the number on the Do not call list and now I very rarely get a telemarketer call. I think I’ve had one in the last 3 months.

Comment

No such thing as a new number... simply a re-used one.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              No such thing as a new number... simply a re-used one.
              New to me

Comment

If its 867-5309 ... it used to be owned by some crazy chick..

Comment

Comment

And now i'll be humming that one for the rest of the day.

Comment

You can't have a private conversation these days if a phone is around so good luck!

Comment

This isn't so much about telemarketers as it is about people we don't want knowing our phone number. You know how you can put anybody's name in Google and get 100 links to these services that give you tbeir entire life story for a small fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                          This isn't so much about telemarketers as it is about people we don't want knowing our phone number. You know how you can put anybody's name in Google and get 100 links to these services that give you tbeir entire life story for a small fee.
                          Most of those sites that offer these services are scammers.

The general information they provide is for the "nominal fee" is information
                          that most anyone can find on line anyway.

You pay the small fee then they ask for more money for more useless information.

More like demand more money since they have your credit card from the initial transaction.

Comment

Nope no such thing as having an unlisted number anymore. I had a phone number through onstar in my car, I never gave that number to anyone for anything even my family. I still received at least 2 calls a week on it from scammers and telemarketers when I was driving somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X