No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though it hasn't rained here since the hurricane I decided to gamble and begin planting. It has to rain sooner or later ...right?

Here I'm drilling elbon rye directly into soy beans that have naturally defoliated. While the drill knocked some beans to the ground most are left standing on the stalk. The best of both worlds...spouted soybeans lasting till first frost with abundant beans available for forage all winter. That with 120 lbs/rye growing underneath. One more value of no till
    Attached Files

Comment

You think you could no till farm down in South Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by VCC View Post
        You think you could no till farm down in South Texas?
        I think it is the best way to farm south Tx. Doesn't rain much down there, so preserving moisture is the name of the game.

That said I tried plotting along the Rio Grande below Eagle Pass and finally gave up excepting where I could irrigate.
        Last edited by elgato; 10-04-2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

When I grow up, I want to be just like Rusty!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            I think it is the best way to farm south Tx. Doesn't rain much down there, so preserving moisture is the name of the game.

That said I tried plotting along the Rio Grande below Eagle Pass and finally gave up excepting where I could irrigate.
            Is that roller crimper enough to terminate growth or cover crops before planting, or do you still recommend herbiciding as well?

Comment

Originally posted by VCC View Post
              Is that roller crimper enough to terminate growth or cover crops before planting, or do you still recommend herbiciding as well?
              I just got the crimper and have only used it on summer crops...sunn hemp, sorghum peas etc. Worked pretty good though I did follow up with gly. mostly for summer weeds and grasses in with the cultivars. My hope and belief is that I can hit rye with crimper at the appropriate time next spring and not have to terminate it with herbicide. The open question then is if I will have spring weeds in the rye that require spraying. To try and avoid that is why I planted the rye heavy at 120 lbs/acre.

I'm also going to make a jig this winter to run the crimper from my front end loader. That will allow me to have drill on back thus running crimper and drill at same time. I'll go a little heavy with the summer planting and ..maybe! hopefully!...I can get away from spraying altogether with summer crops quickly shading out weeds. TBD

Comment

Hope you get a great fall crop and timely rain Rusty!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Hope you get a great fall crop and timely rain Rusty!
                  Thanks buddy. Fun to keep up with your adventures as well. Passion is a wonderful thing. Blessings to you.

Comment

Rusty,

have you found any bucks on your Louisiana property that are targets for this year?

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                      Rusty,

have you found any bucks on your Louisiana property that are targets for this year?
                      Nothing on the top end. Will remove some very mature bucks but neither my neighbor nor I will take any of the best. For whatever reason top end quality is down somewhat this year. I tend to think it is from the stress of a couple of years of extreme flooding. This summer was terrific for growing conditions, we have a good age structure and all herd elements are good but the quality is not what it has been in the past.

I'm spoiled. While we have several 180 and 190 class bucks we haven't found anything over 200 so we will be patient and stay with the program. It just goes to show how challenging it is to consistently grow 200"+ native stock bucks.

Comment

Promising 4 yr old
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Another look
                            Attached Files

Comment

An old goat. has been seen one time in 3 yrs after the season.
                              Attached Files

Comment

A Vampire.

Comment

Working...
                                X