Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    I wish I had hogs.

Maybe you guys could trap them and take them to my place.
    I didn't have them the 20 years on my old lease but my lease I'm on now does and it's a lot more fun..

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
      Poisoning is probably the only way to ever get a handle on them...

No sure if a bounty would do much good. you can already trap and sell them and i don't see too many people running out and trapping them.

Back when i was in college we used to murder them...We ran dogs 2-3 times a week and had up to 40 traps set and sold a bunch. We also shot them on site. We had a lot of farm land and they still trashed all the corn fields. Farmers hired a Helicopter and killed over 100 in the first 2 hrs. They ended up renting the heli twice a month and killed a bunch of pigs. They ended up buying their own heli and still kill tons of pigs.

So no shooting, trapping, doggin and heli's wont do it.....
      I would do a pretty dang good job if everyone was doing all 4 but that will never happen.

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
      People need to quit feeding corn year round. Anyone notice the direct correlation between number of people starting to feed year round, and the number of pigs increasing?
      So I guess you also want to see a reduction in the overall deer population because if everyone stops feeding year round there will also be less food for deer and thus less deer. A better idea would be to require hog proof feed pens around every feeder. With all that said, I don't want to see the pigs wiped out as I would rather hunt them then deer and they taste better IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        To trap and sell a live hog is a lot more involved than shooting them dead and cutting their ear off for proof of kill.
        Yep--gates, ramps, trailers, and a place to sell them. Trapped two this AM, both boars. One was 70 or so on the hoof and the other was around 100. Nearest buyer I know of is 30+ miles away so add 3+ gallons of gas, mileage on the truck, and time, and it isn't worth it unless you've got a bunch of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          To trap and sell a live hog is a lot more involved than shooting them dead and cutting their ear off for proof of kill.
          Yes, but a 200# live hog could sell for $300. How much will the State give you for a bounty? $5? And then your tax money pays that $5. The $300 would come from organic all natural shoppers LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
            Yep--gates, ramps, trailers, and a place to sell them. Trapped two this AM, both boars. One was 70 or so on the hoof and the other was around 100. Nearest buyer I know of is 30+ miles away so add 3+ gallons of gas, mileage on the truck, and time, and it isn't worth it unless you've got a bunch of them.
            Which is why I said the solution may be for the State to push for slaughterhouses or at least a way to easier sell them to people who want them in other countries.

They're a great food source and way under priced. Instead of food stamps give hog meat LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Yes, but a 200# live hog could sell for $300. How much will the State give you for a bounty? $5? And then your tax money pays that $5. The $300 would come from organic all natural shoppers LOL
              Yes, at that theoretical price it would be more economically viable to trap live ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                So I guess you also want to see a reduction in the overall deer population because if everyone stops feeding year round there will also be less food for deer and thus less deer. A better idea would be to require hog proof feed pens around every feeder. With all that said, I don't want to see the pigs wiped out as I would rather hunt them then deer and they taste better IMO.
                I'm perfectly fine with seeing a reduced deer population. I sit a feeders where 30+ deer show up every feeding. I also don't complain about the overpopulation of pigs. Don't want pigs on your property, don't give them a reason to be there 24/7. I can shoot pigs every night in grain fields down in corpus, but the last two years the farmer has planted cotton vs sorghum and he has no rooting or crop damage. Pretty simple concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Hog proof (if there is such a thing) around every deer feeder would be a good start.
                  Hmmmmm. So please explain how this would prevent them from populating

Comment

Halon 32

Comment

I have trapped almost 30 this year and killed over 100 I bet. Alot of fun with thermal and a big portable trap.

I don't have hardly any on camera anymore, so working on neighbors places now.

Never will eliminate them

Comment

When I moved here near the red river 10+ years ago there were lots of pigs damaging the fields. People started to kill and trap them and the last couple of years we have had very little to no pigs here. Everyone quit going after them and lately we have started seeing a little sign again,but I think a couple of months of hunting will keep them away again.

Comment

Put a 60 lb sows backstrap on the grill with onion, squash, and Cajun seasoning all wrapped up in tin foil and you'll wish you had a lease full of em.

Comment

Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                            Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                            I'm perfectly fine with seeing a reduced deer population. I sit a feeders where 30+ deer show up every feeding. I also don't complain about the overpopulation of pigs. Don't want pigs on your property, don't give them a reason to be there 24/7. I can shoot pigs every night in grain fields down in corpus, but the last two years the farmer has planted cotton vs sorghum and he has no rooting or crop damage. Pretty simple concept.
                            I understand the concept and that is why I said we would be better off making it mandatory to have feed pens around feeders vs no feed in the off season especially during the prime time for antler growth. I honestly don't think you have really thought this through and all the animals that would die if year round feeding was stopped and I'm not just talking about deer and pigs, it's all animals that benefit from year round feeding.

Comment

If we stopped feeding animals WOULD NOT die.....This is false.

Many places and areas don't feed and animals thrive. Animals are part of nature, which has survived long before humans started feeding corn and protein

Comment

Just a heads up for some of you folks.....hogs quickly learn what a trap is. At first you will normally have a lot of success but after that they learn to eat right up to the door and then stop. Hogs are a lot smarter than some of you give them credit for. I would be fine with a bounty simply because of the extra money it would earn me...LOL.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X